The Student Room Group

Foundation or Continue A Level (INTERNATIONAL STUDENT)???

So I really want to study medicine in the UK and I am currently in Year 12. I moved from an American School to a British School, so I could do A Levels. I picked four subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Psychology. The problem is I'm not getting the desired grades which is a big problem, considering medicine is a very competitive course. I decided to widen my options, should I do a foundation year at a medical school or should I continue A level while dropping mathematics? Do universities accept pre-clinical foundation years?
Reply 1
What kind of grades are you getting? I can imagine it must’ve been quite difficult changing from the US to UK school system as they seem quite different.

As you say medicine is so competitive so i would say that if you really can’t get the grades that you need then doing a foundation course probably would be wise if there are some available. I’m not 100% as i’m not a medicine applicant but i think there possibly are foundation courses that you can do at uni and then move onto the actual medicine degree.
Reply 2
Original post by e2002!
What kind of grades are you getting? I can imagine it must’ve been quite difficult changing from the US to UK school system as they seem quite different.

As you say medicine is so competitive so i would say that if you really can’t get the grades that you need then doing a foundation course probably would be wise if there are some available. I’m not 100% as i’m not a medicine applicant but i think there possibly are foundation courses that you can do at uni and then move onto the actual medicine degree.

Mathematics - D
Chemistry - E
Biology - C
Psychology - B
Reply 3
Original post by Nana.hauwa
Mathematics - D
Chemistry - E
Biology - C
Psychology - B

I would probably consider foundation years then unless you think that you can increase your grades considerably. I think most unis look for around AAA for medicine and even if you have those grades it’s still so competitive.

I mean i’m pretty sure that when you apply through ucas you can apply to some foundation courses and some just regular courses. So if you thought that you could get your grades up you could try your luck with some medicine courses but apply to some foundation courses too.

oh yeah btw i’m pretty sure you have to continue A levels still to get onto foundation courses and i think when it’s medicine they could still require somewhat high grades (like BBB)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by e2002!
I would probably consider foundation years then unless you think that you can increase your grades considerably. I think most unis look for around AAA for medicine and even if you have those grades it’s still so competitive.

I mean i’m pretty sure that when you apply through ucas you can apply to some foundation courses and some just regular courses. So if you thought that you could get your grades up you could try your luck with some medicine courses but apply to some foundation courses too.

oh yeah btw i’m pretty sure you have to continue A levels still to get onto foundation courses and i think when it’s medicine they could still require somewhat high grades (like BBB)

Oh. Thank you very much.
Hate foundations years but all depends on context.
Your grades arent good enough imo which means starting again or getting serious help.
The person above said medicine? You will need AAA.

With grades at their current level then how do you know they will take you for foundation year? Is this a UK uni and have they offered?
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Hate foundations years but all depends on context.
Your grades arent good enough imo which means starting again or getting serious help.
The person above said medicine? You will need AAA.

With grades at their current level then how do you know they will take you for foundation year? Is this a UK uni and have they offered?

I'm still in year 12 and these are only my mock grades.
I'm still in year 12 and these are only my mock grades.

You need AAA at Y13 if you arent going to get them then its either because you cant or maybe you have health reasons why you havent done well. You cna get better in Y13, but the signs arent good.

F year for medicines are quite rare and usually more towards international students or if you have done the wrong subjects or you come from a deprived background. They arent there as an easy entry for poor grades. Its up to you to know your ability and commitment.
Up to you to decide if you want Y 12 again, possible if you have medical reasons, but a lot of M schools wont take you if you take longer than 2 years v no schools will accept you if you fall significantly below AAA. You only need one school. I would say Y12 + support is easier than Y14 resits with no support. You can still get AAA, but you need to be working v hard from now till exams.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You need AAA at Y13 if you arent going to get them then its either because you cant or maybe you have health reasons why you havent done well. You cna get better in Y13, but the signs arent good.

F year for medicines are quite rare and usually more towards international students or if you have done the wrong subjects or you come from a deprived background. They arent there as an easy entry for poor grades. Its up to you to know your ability and commitment.
Up to you to decide if you want Y 12 again, possible if you have medical reasons, but a lot of M schools wont take you if you take longer than 2 years v no schools will accept you if you fall significantly below AAA. You only need one school. I would say Y12 + support is easier than Y14 resits with no support. You can still get AAA, but you need to be working v hard from now till exams.

Thank you for your help. (I'm also an international student so I feel I will let foundation be my back up plan.)
Thank you for your help. (I'm also an international student so I feel I will let foundation be my back up plan.)

Again the chances to do F medicine in the UK are limited so do your research.
If you have fallen behind or struggling then I would rather get AAA in 3 years than never.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending