The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What ever the child wants. May seem cliche but I’d the child feels they are black, they are black or if they feel they are mixed race, they are mixed race. Which ever one makes them feel happy and proud
(edited 1 year ago)
I sat mixed race, because white and black is a mix of something
Depends on how they look, they could even identify as white
Are you talking about drake's kid? I don't think he could identify as black tbh
Original post by Shayne Omale
What ever the child wants. May seem cliche but I’d the child feels they are black, they are black or if they feel they are mixed race, they are mixed race. Which ever one makes them feel happy and proud

So do u think a Mixed race child could choose to identify as black or white on their passport
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by TheCoolBro

Yh but in general. I’m just trying to make sense of everything cause I don’t understand why majority of them claim to be black. Why not just be yourself ?.
Original post by sam102781
Depends on how they look, they could even identify as white

Yh but can they identify as white on their passport. It will be weird for someone who is mixed race to identify as white or black outside of the western country/world. They will be seen as wannabes.

I just want honesty opinions, and I hope I don’t offend anyone.
Original post by Tenacity Deshad
So say the child had a black dad and a white mom. Can the child identify as Black or should stick with Mixed race.

Original post by TheCoolBro

Drake is biracial like the example in the op and can identify as black or "two or more races" since race classifications on government documents only care about the lineage as far back as the parents, but drake can't classify as white.

However drakes kid isn't biracial. He isn't 50/50 of something. And so the question doesn't apply to him. Considering himself mixed which often means biracial parentage would be a lie. However his kid can select other or two or more races, or even white. That doesn't mean people with biracial parentage can follow suit. Not sure you understand that though.
Op to simply answer your question, no biracial person can and should ever consider themselves one thing as that means they are considering themselves one parent.....:confused:

I really don't know what the drama is about being mixed and why they don't just chuffing crack on with things. My girl has a white dad and black Jamaican mum and is pale and freckled but has black people hair and needs perm relaxer lol she considers herself black but acknowledges her biracial parentage on government papers. As she should. So socially and culturally she is black. Officially and politically she is biracial mixed.

Now...If we were to have a kid...our kids wouldn't be black and I'd have them check white as they're 75% or more of it! If they WANT, they can check two or more unless the off chance it came out not looking mixed at all. I'd be baffled if they selected black and caution against it only because I'd worry they're Rachel Dolezalling me. But I wouldn't mind if they CALLED themselves black or even revolutionised black rights and equality. So long as they POLITICALLY identify as WHITE.
By the way my girl is beautiful. She proper looks like jorja Smith with face freckles like the orphan Annie, but has SZA hair. 😁
Obama was mixed raced and he was always called the first black president
I think it depends on their skin colour tbh. Like a pale mixed person identifying as black doesn't make sense because they'll never suffer the social injustice and racism of being black.
So say the child had a black dad and a white mom. Can the child identify as Black or should stick with Mixed race.

Who is doing the identifying?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Op to simply answer your question, no biracial person can and should ever consider themselves one thing as that means they are considering themselves one parent.....:confused:

I really don't know what the drama is about being mixed and why they don't just chuffing crack on with things. My girl has a white dad and black Jamaican mum and is pale and freckled but has black people hair and needs perm relaxer lol she considers herself black but acknowledges her biracial parentage on government papers. As she should. So socially and culturally she is black. Officially and politically she is biracial mixed.

Now...If we were to have a kid...our kids wouldn't be black and I'd have them check white as they're 75% or more of it! If they WANT, they can check two or more unless the off chance it came out not looking mixed at all. I'd be baffled if they selected black and caution against it only because I'd worry they're Rachel Dolezalling me. But I wouldn't mind if they CALLED themselves black or even revolutionised black rights and equality. So long as they POLITICALLY identify as WHITE.

Yh that’s fair I just wanted opinions on it that’s all. And i agree with the fact that they can identify as what ever they want but as u said it’s not fair to one side of the parent if you only choose 1 race.

I think in society, you get a lot of whites people who won’t look at black people any different from mixed raced people, meaning that a mixed race child will probably have a lot more in common with black people that white people wont ever understand. Mixed race is also a very wide range, it’s not necessarily one black parent and one white parent, it can be half Chinese and half English, etc xx
Original post by 999tigger
Who is doing the identifying?

It was more of a hot topic between my dad and I. And the question was more of like for security reasons would it be allowed for someone who is mixed race to identity as black or white because if they were being searched
Original post by heermeet
Obama was mixed raced and he was always called the first black president

That's mostly due to the black community wanting to claim something as our "own". Obama, in my eyes, is not black he is mixed-race. That's sort of the issue with calling mixed/biracials black. Opportunities that are created for BLACK people are given to those who are able to carry a mixed-race advantage. Which includes being able to claim you are black when it becomes necessary to you.
Reply 18
Original post by Undergrad PA

i don't see why not, seeing as we're living in a world where a man can put on a skirt and demand to be legally a female ...
Sure.

Latest