The Student Room Group

Religious Studies A level

Has anyone done RS for A level? Would love to hear your opinions about how you found the subject and what it was like in comparison to your other subjects
How different is it from gcse as well? I did Edexcel for gcse and I think I’m doing Edexcel for A level as well
Original post by student9645
Has anyone done RS for A level? Would love to hear your opinions about how you found the subject and what it was like in comparison to your other subjects

I did A-Level R S - for me personally I found the subject quite good and I was quite good at it partly due to my ability to evaluate views and my English Literature essay skills were immensely helpful. If you are good at writing essays and arguing for different views I would say RS would be for you. It differs quite a bit from GCSE - you focus on more interesting concepts such as the soul quite a bit. I got A* on near enough all of my essays thus, I know how to approach essay questions and reach the top bands.
In comparison to A Level English Literature I would say that RS was much easier for me personally, I believe it is different for each individual though.
If you ever need help when studying RS please do not hesitate to ask me : )

Don’t do it, it’s like three A levels in one, it’s torture
Original post by Greywolftwo
Don’t do it, it’s like three A levels in one, it’s torture

Why? I’ve only heard good things about it. What exam board did u do?
(edited 3 years ago)
Why? I’ve only heard good things about it. What exam board did u do?

I’m doing AQA right now
Original post by Greywolftwo
I’m doing AQA right now

Ohh okay we do Edexcel. Why do you dislike the subject? Is it because there is a lot of content?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous36617
I did A-Level R S - for me personally I found the subject quite good and I was quite good at it partly due to my ability to evaluate views and my English Literature essay skills were immensely helpful. If you are good at writing essays and arguing for different views I would say RS would be for you. It differs quite a bit from GCSE - you focus on more interesting concepts such as the soul quite a bit. I got A* on near enough all of my essays thus, I know how to approach essay questions and reach the top bands.
In comparison to A Level English Literature I would say that RS was much easier for me personally, I believe it is different for each individual though.
If you ever need help when studying RS please do not hesitate to ask me : )

Thank you very much!
Ohh okay we do Edexcel. Why do you dislike the subject? Is it because there is a lot of content?

An insane amount of content, as I said before, it was like taking three A levels in one; this is because the content that you do combined with year 1 and 2 adds up to similar amounts of a whole other A level.
I do RS and I enjoy it a lot. I like how there’s a range of topics and there so many links to other subjects in ways you wouldn’t expect. It’s definitely different from GCSEs as you get anthology texts with Edexcel, but there’s always gonna be a step up from GCSEs to A levels with all subjects.

In comparison to my other subjects (maths and geography), RS has definitely helped structure my arguments for longer essay type questions in geography and is a nice change from maths. I highly recommend RS a level

Although just a warning and someone’s already mentioned it, there is a lot of content. There’s six big topics in each Philosophy of Religion, Ethics and the chosen religion, which might be daunting but if you like RS, you’ll be able to manage it
Original post by bleh_bleh
I do RS and I enjoy it a lot. I like how there’s a range of topics and there so many links to other subjects in ways you wouldn’t expect. It’s definitely different from GCSEs as you get anthology texts with Edexcel, but there’s always gonna be a step up from GCSEs to A levels with all subjects.

In comparison to my other subjects (maths and geography), RS has definitely helped structure my arguments for longer essay type questions in geography and is a nice change from maths. I highly recommend RS a level

Although just a warning and someone’s already mentioned it, there is a lot of content. There’s six big topics in each Philosophy of Religion, Ethics and the chosen religion, which might be daunting but if you like RS, you’ll be able to manage it

Thank you! Out of Geography and RS, which one would you say you prefer/found easier. I was considering geography but I don’t really enjoy it as much as RS
Thank you! Out of Geography and RS, which one would you say you prefer/found easier. I was considering geography but I don’t really enjoy it as much as RS

I definitely enjoy RS more bc I feel like it’s a lot more ‘common sense’ in some aspects and for me, that makes it easier. I still enjoy geography though but between the two, RS is my fav. It also depends on your teachers tho, bc I definitely like my RS teacher more than my other teachers
Original post by bleh_bleh
I definitely enjoy RS more bc I feel like it’s a lot more ‘common sense’ in some aspects and for me, that makes it easier. I still enjoy geography though but between the two, RS is my fav. It also depends on your teachers tho, bc I definitely like my RS teacher more than my other teachers

Thanks a lot, this has been really helpful in making my decision! What are you hoping to study in the future?
Thanks a lot, this has been really helpful in making my decision! What are you hoping to study in the future?

I’m not too sure right now. I have been exploring law as a possible option, but I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and good luck with your future studies!
Thanks everyone for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest