changing careers from law to optometry. How do I know optom is for me?

Watch
mxr1am
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
initially I wanted to do optom but bc of my gcse grades I was unable, so I went for the next best thing, law. its taken me 2/3 years to admit that law is not for me and only appealed to me bc of the status it gave.

all my uni choices are for the LLB law degree now I will have to go through clearing for whatever I decide. if it is optom I am aware that I need to apply to a foundation year how do I know optom is for me? I have not looked at science book since GCSE. I do want to move away from Leeds and I know that Aston does a foundation year and guaranteed access onto optom, but is there any other uni that do the same just incase Aston is full? and is there is anyone from Aston who is going through kinda what I'm trying to say/
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mxr1am)
initially I wanted to do optom but bc of my gcse grades I was unable, so I went for the next best thing, law. its taken me 2/3 years to admit that law is not for me and only appealed to me bc of the status it gave.

all my uni choices are for the LLB law degree now I will have to go through clearing for whatever I decide. if it is optom I am aware that I need to apply to a foundation year how do I know optom is for me? I have not looked at science book since GCSE. I do want to move away from Leeds and I know that Aston does a foundation year and guaranteed access onto optom, but is there any other uni that do the same just incase Aston is full? and is there is anyone from Aston who is going through kinda what I'm trying to say/
All seems very drastic.
What grades are we talking about?
Do you have the correct subjects?
Could you do an access course?

I think its fundamental you know its the right course and that means research, talking to people and getting some experience.

Optometry courses are here:

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...t=MostRelevant

Cardiff has one with a prelim year.
SC.99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

I'm currently an Optom student at Cardiff university. Cardiff offers a prelim year, however, it is very rare for Optom to go into clearing. If you haven't studied science since GCSEs then you may struggle a little as the degree has a lot of maths, physics and bio (particularly 1st year). The universities closest to Leeds that offer Optom are Bradford, Huddersfield and Manchetser, but to my knowledge none of these offer a prelim year so you will need AAB (ish) in science A-levels to get in.

Hope this helps
mxr1am
Rep:
?
(Original post by SC.99)
I'm currently an Optom student at Cardiff university. Cardiff offers a prelim year, however, it is very rare for Optom to go into clearing. If you haven't studied science since GCSEs then you may struggle a little as the degree has a lot of maths, physics and bio (particularly 1st year). The universities closest to Leeds that offer Optom are Bradford, Huddersfield and Manchetser, but to my knowledge none of these offer a prelim year so you will need AAB (ish) in science A-levels to get in.

Hope this helps
hi I do realise I need to do a foundation year before I access optometry due to my A level choices, however as you do optometry, how do I know it is something I can do, that it is for me. basically I realised I was forced into law and do not want to continue with it and now I don't really know what I want to do, or where I see myself in 10 years. optom did interest me initially thats why I am trying to look into it properly
mxr1am
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
All seems very drastic.
What grades are we talking about?
Do you have the correct subjects?
Could you do an access course?

I think its fundamental you know its the right course and that means research, talking to people and getting some experience.

Optometry courses are here:

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...t=MostRelevant

Cardiff has one with a prelim year.
I basically realised there is no future for me in what I've applied for and I do not know what to with my life but thank you
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
I basically realised there is no future for me in what I've applied for and I do not know what to with my life but thank you
Have you started law? You didnt answer the questions.
Take a gap year and get experience.
- See if you can get any of these books at the careers library or they will have similar for you to read. Try and get ones aimed at your age group. If you cant find then just get second hand from Amazon.

https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Rocks-...cks+your+world

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-You-Ar...o+what+you+are

https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Color-...arachute+teens
Andra01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Hey,

I study at Aston Uni
snahhlkk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Andra01)
Hey,

I study at Aston Uni
hey
landsofforever
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey mxr1am,

I'm an optometry student in Cardiff going into 3rd year and I also completed their preliminary year, which was a really good intro to optometry and you get a head start with some 1st year modules!
What grades and subjects are you doing?
I wouldn't worry too much about not doing science subjects - Cardiff Year 0 definitely prepares you - but I'd defo recommend getting some work experience in practice and maybe a part time job as an optical assistant when all this Covid stuff dies down. Being passionate about optometry and actually having in-depth knowledge and experience of what the career and industry entails is more valuable than simply having studied science subjects, and that'll show in your personal statement. Would also agree with recommending taking a gap year! There's no rush and tbh might be best as I'm not sure how a socially-distant Year 1 will work... there's so much hands-on practical work :/
All the best!
Last edited by landsofforever; 10 months ago
Misbah03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hi, literally been in the exact same position as you. try doing an access course in science which is a year long and most unis that offer optom will accept it.
999tigger
Report 9 months ago

Because you have researched what us studied.
Worked out that you will have an interest and aptitude for it.
Got some work experience.

If you do the foundation you can use that time to work out if its what you want and if not, the leave.
sali222
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SC.99)

Hope this helps
I want to do optometry in Cardiff uni next year hows it lie? the work load? the day to day? is there anything that you didn't expect?
sali222
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Andra01)
Hey,

I study at Aston Uni
hey hows optometry at aston uni like im strongly considering going there?
vendingmachine0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Out of curiosity, what made you realise law was not for you?
DarthRoar
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Lmao never study optometry.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4216468
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (169)
44.13%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.97%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.09%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.67%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise