The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough of computer science at oxbridge

Hi all, I am in year 12 looking at potentially Oxford or Cambridge to study computer science.
These are my GCSE grades:

Maths- 9
English Language- 6
English Literature- 8
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 8
Physics- 9
Business Studies- 7
DT- 9
Geography- 7
Computer Science- 8
Additional Maths- C

Do you think these are good enough? And which university is most suited to me?I am studying 3 A Levels at the moment and I am predicted AAA in maths, further maths and physics.
(edited 4 years ago)
Your GCSE grades is good enough for Cambridge but I'm not sure about Oxford because of that C. What university suited to you depends on your preference of course and location. Oxford needs an A*AA with A/A* in Mathematics; Cambridge needs A*A*A
Original post by s.ko_4
Hi all, I am in year 12 looking at potentially Oxford or Cambridge to study computer science.
These are my GCSE grades:

Maths- 9
English Language- 6
English Literature- 8
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 8
Physics- 9
Business Studies- 7
DT- 9
Geography- 7
Computer Science- 8
Additional Maths- C

Do you think these are good enough? And which university is most suited to me?I am studying 3 A Levels at the moment and I am predicted AAA in maths, further maths and physics.

The GCSEs are fine for Cambridge, but are not typical of a successful Oxford applicant. However, the A levels are not OK. The subjects are fine, but the predicted grades are not: you'd be needing A*A*A to make yourself competitive (and realistically offer holders usually have higher than that).

So you're still in with a chance at Cambridge, I'd suggest, but you need a better prediction than AAA - and obviously to actually get the grades rather than just have them predicted.
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
Your GCSE grades is good enough for Cambridge but I'm not sure about Oxford because of that C. What university suited to you depends on your preference of course and location. Oxford needs an A*AA with A/A* in Mathematics; Cambridge needs A*A*A

Thank you so much! I got the C in additional maths, which isn't a GCSE, it's a free standing maths qualification. Would that still bother Oxford?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
The GCSEs are fine for Cambridge, but are not typical of a successful Oxford applicant. However, the A levels are not OK. The subjects are fine, but the predicted grades are not: you'd be needing A*A*A to make yourself competitive (and realistically offer holders usually have higher than that).

So you're still in with a chance at Cambridge, I'd suggest, but you need a better prediction than AAA - and obviously to actually get the grades rather than just have them predicted.

Thank you! If I manage to increase my predicted grade to A*A*A, would I realistically have a chance?
Original post by s.ko_4
Thank you! If I manage to increase my predicted grade to A*A*A, would I realistically have a chance?

Yes, you'd certainly be able to make a competitive application. The 998 in maths, physics and computer science is a good sign, but there's obviously admissions tests, interviews, predictions, any contextual flags...all to be thrown into the mix. But you should feel confident to apply. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, you'd certainly be able to make a competitive application. The 998 in maths, physics and computer science is a good sign, but there's obviously admissions tests, interviews, predictions, any contextual flags...all to be thrown into the mix. But you should feel confident to apply. :smile:

Thanks a lot for your reply, I will definitely consider it :smile:
Original post by s.ko_4
Thanks a lot for your reply, I will definitely consider it :smile:

Good - do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest