The Student Room Group

Physics GCSE

I have only realised during this quarantine that I’m really interested in pursuing a medicine degree at QUB. However, their entry requirements state that I must have done physics gcse and unfortunately I haven’t done it as a subject for gcse. I have done biology, chemistry, maths and further maths (which I am going to do for a level) but I’m quite annoyed at myself for not doing physics. Is there any chance that I could still get in? If not, is it wise to apply to do a physics gcse after I do my a levels or is my idea of doing medicine unrealistic?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Seafield87
I have only realised during this quarantine that I’m really interested in pursuing a medicine degree at QUB. However, their entry requirements state that I must have done physics gcse and unfortunately I haven’t done it as a subject for gcse. I have done biology, chemistry, maths and further maths (which I am going to do for a level) but I’m quite annoyed at myself for not doing physics. Is there any chance that I could still get in? If not, is it wise to apply to do a physics gcse after I do my a levels or is my idea of doing medicine unrealistic?

I don't think it would be a huge deal as long as your other grades meet the entry requirements and past attainment is strong. Just contact the admissions team and speak to them before you apply.
Did you contact the university? call the university, call a few of them and check I think the entry requirement is different from one university to another also you have good maths subject here, further maths is a strong subject, I think you may have a chance without Taking GCSE Physics.

Your idea of doing medicine isn't unrealistic as you are clearly doing well in the most key subjects being Maths, Chemistry and Biology. If there is any way you can take gcse physics alongside your a levels that is probably a good idea (maybe in place of further maths). You can also look up other universities entry requirements as they may not require gcse physics for medicine. You also have plenty of time now before you start a levels to study for gcse physics independently so definitely look into your options! Feel free to message me if you need any resources for self studying gcse physics.

Sorry I can't answer your question but I am writing this message as I have a query myself regarding this:tongue: I am not British btw. How is it possible that you didn't study Physics GCSE at school? Is it optional in the UK to study science at GCSE or not?
Original post by jay71483
Sorry I can't answer your question but I am writing this message as I have a query myself regarding this:tongue: I am not British btw. How is it possible that you didn't study Physics GCSE at school? Is it optional in the UK to study science at GCSE or not?

In the UK there are schools that are funded by the state and private ones. In state schools I think it is compulsory to do either core science gcse (just one gcse covering all 3 sciences), double science (worth 2 gcses also covering all 3 sciences) or triple science where you do the 3 sciences as 3 seperate gcses.

In private schools you don't necessarily have to do all three sciences like this and it is possible to just take any 3 sciences separately in any combination.
Reply 6
Original post by jay71483

Oh I live in NI so I’m not sure if it is the same in England, Scotland etc. but in my school we are allowed to choose sciences (bio, Chem and physics) as single subjects, a double award (essentially two GCSEs for doing three sciences) and single award (one GCSE for three less condense sciences)
Reply 7
Original post by naomisimpsonn
I don't think it would be a huge deal as long as your other grades meet the entry requirements and past attainment is strong. Just contact the admissions team and speak to them before you apply.

Original post by Great444
Did you contact the university? call the university, call a few of them and check I think the entry requirement is different from one university to another also you have good maths subject here, further maths is a strong subject, I think you may have a chance without Taking GCSE Physics.

Thanks I will try to contact them either now or following lockdown. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by chapmase
Your idea of doing medicine isn't unrealistic as you are clearly doing well in the most key subjects being Maths, Chemistry and Biology. If there is any way you can take gcse physics alongside your a levels that is probably a good idea (maybe in place of further maths). You can also look up other universities entry requirements as they may not require gcse physics for medicine. You also have plenty of time now before you start a levels to study for gcse physics independently so definitely look into your options! Feel free to message me if you need any resources for self studying gcse physics.

Thank you so much, I’ll start looking up some content for the GCSE and I might consider taking it up whilst doing a levels (not sure though because I’m going 5 a levels) but I appreciate the offer for the resources! If I need any help I’ll send a message :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest