The Student Room Group

Geography helpp

please can someone check this! it's due in tomorrow

Deforestation is increasing at a rapid rate with NEE economies as many countries strive to develop fastly. One way is through energy development, such as building hydroelectric dam by cutting down trees to create reservoirs. An example is the Balbina dams in the Amazon Basin which destroyed 720km-squared of trees. In addition, the flooding of this dam had resulted with 920 square miles of trees to be destroyed. Although HED’s are highly efficient and a renewable source of energy, this has caused the loss of biodiversity in the Malaysian forests, as habitats are being destroyed, causing mass extinction.

Moreover, deforestation is increasing due to mining of minerals. With tropical rainforests having fertile soil, there is also minerals that can be mined, for instance gold. These causes trees being cut down for mining space as well as building roads in order to transport the minerals. This occurs in the Minas Gerais, Brazil, where the reserves contain diamonds that can be transported to high economies for jewellery. The economic development is it provides employment to local villagers as well as foreign income to the country. However, the vast loss of deforestation has caused soil erosion where the soil is no longer fertile as the rainfall has washed away the nutrients which would be absorbed by the plant roots as part of the nutrient cycle. Moreover, the carbon footprint is increased as the minerals are being transported by cargo planes as well as through sealed packages from the other end of the world. This suggest HIC are responsible for deforestation due to foreign exchange of a luxuries.

On the other hand, it can be argued that HIC countries and NEE economies aren’t the reason for the drastic measures of deforestation and global warming. In low-income countries, there are indigenous people traditionally hunt and gather food from the forests and use them to support them for survival, this method is sustainable. This is done through slash-and-burn, where the trees are cut down and then burnt, providing nutritious minerals for the soil to keep it fertile. An example of this method is in Thailand the indigenous people burn tress for agriculture to grow cash crops, for instance cocoa, sugar cane and tobacco, as well as cattle ranches. However, on April 14, 2020, this tradition method had caused uncontrollable fires costing the lives of thousands of animals and the nearby villagers, with 20% of the forest area being cleared away. This suggests that people in the lower spectrum of wealth had contributed to this disaster, despite this would not have occurred if they were not harvesting for high income countries.

In conclusion, I agree with this statement as HIC are exploiting NEE’s and LIC in order to support human luxuries, such as jewellery and providing electricity for families as the population increases. With these selfish acts happening, this impacts the wildlife and habitats built over thousands over used which destroy in matters of seconds, contributing to global warming.
Maybe just stick with the effects of HED in the Amazon rather than spitting in Malaysia ? Makes it quite geographically 'jumpy', maybe find some specific effects of the construction and placement in the Amazon (e.g. tribal displacement, protests....)
No real relation between having fertile soil and the activity of mining ??
' The economic development is it provides employment to local villagers as well as foreign income to the country.' Maybe rephrase this a bit to make it read a bit clearer? I understand it but to improve writing it could be rephrased :smile:
Overall in the second paragraph, you could focus on perhaps two impacts of deforestation instead of 3/4, and witht hem two impacts develop and explain them :smile: - this is dependant on what level of education ur at, GCSE its absolutely fine what u put and could be improved more for A-level
third paragraph is being argumentative which is good ! you need both the goods and bads for both sides ! Very important for critical assessment, but you seem to neglect the negatives of the indigenous people so it can be improved by being a little more reflective on both impacts of deforestation in LICS and HICS
I clearly dont know you and ur level of education so this could be perfectly fine for what u need! or i might be being a little too critical and picky so dont see what i have said as the points youve made are bad ! :smile: Well done!!
I can see you know a lot geographically but i think you could work on the writing aspect of the question :smile: It comes with practice and time
Youve shown clear knowledge and understanding
Reply 2
Original post by mollyduxx
Maybe just stick with the effects of HED in the Amazon rather than spitting in Malaysia ? Makes it quite geographically 'jumpy', maybe find some specific effects of the construction and placement in the Amazon (e.g. tribal displacement, protests....)
No real relation between having fertile soil and the activity of mining ??
' The economic development is it provides employment to local villagers as well as foreign income to the country.' Maybe rephrase this a bit to make it read a bit clearer? I understand it but to improve writing it could be rephrased :smile:
Overall in the second paragraph, you could focus on perhaps two impacts of deforestation instead of 3/4, and witht hem two impacts develop and explain them :smile: - this is dependant on what level of education ur at, GCSE its absolutely fine what u put and could be improved more for A-level
third paragraph is being argumentative which is good ! you need both the goods and bads for both sides ! Very important for critical assessment, but you seem to neglect the negatives of the indigenous people so it can be improved by being a little more reflective on both impacts of deforestation in LICS and HICS
I clearly dont know you and ur level of education so this could be perfectly fine for what u need! or i might be being a little too critical and picky so dont see what i have said as the points youve made are bad ! :smile: Well done!!
I can see you know a lot geographically but i think you could work on the writing aspect of the question :smile: It comes with practice and time
Youve shown clear knowledge and understanding

hi i'm currently doing gcses- if that helps?
Original post by mohona1827
hi i'm currently doing gcses- if that helps?

What you have written then is absolutely fine ! Good job

Quick Reply

Latest