The Student Room Group

Vegan meals

What vegan meals would y´all recommend?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luh._shortyy
What vegan meals would y´all recommend?

Cereals to start the day/Breakfast (maybe some vegan milk could be used instead ?), Vegetable curry with brown rice for Lunch, main meal of the day, 3:30pm snack as Banana and some nuts if you want/@Work, and finally toast for Dinner (I take with cheese tho as I'm not vegan, veg instead). Ultimately up to you mate - being vegan or vegetarian are amazing choices in all honesty:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous370
Cereals to start the day/Breakfast (maybe some vegan milk could be used instead ?), Vegetable curry with brown rice for Lunch, main meal of the day, 3:30pm snack as Banana and some nuts if you want/@Work, and finally toast for Dinner (I take with cheese tho as I'm not vegan, veg instead). Ultimately up to you mate - being vegan or vegetarian are amazing choices in all honesty:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:!

thank you for sharing
Porridge is always the best breakfast. Curries, pasta, bean chilles, and rice dishes are all good for dinner.
Reply 4
Original post by houseinthecorey
Porridge is always the best breakfast. Curries, pasta, bean chilles, and rice dishes are all good for dinner.

Yeah that sounds delicious.
Would you consider going all vegan to be a good idea?
thank you for sharing

Welcome:smile:. Pasta for Lunch on weekends is what I normally use to substitute the vegetable curry and brown rice (for a change, variety etc) that I normally take Mon-Fri for Lunch (which as you can imagine supplies well enough nutrients, vitamins etc). It works brilliantly and is great for a busy lifestyle like mine. The veg curry and brown rice is cooked on Sunday for Mon-Fri Lunch (batch cooking):wink::biggrin: so there is no "lengthy" cooking at all to do during the week, just preparing brown rice (using a rice cooking machine to make it easier:wink::biggrin:), toast, cereals.

I'd suggest to better first start with veg, stay with it for some time to get the hang of it etc. Then, if practical (and if you wish), go for vegan, and if you find it too hard no worries, even being veg itself is HUGELY awesome enough on its own in all honesty.:wink::smile::biggrin: Best of luck mate.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous370
Welcome:smile:. Pasta for Lunch on weekends is what I normally use to substitute the vegetable curry and brown rice (for a change, variety etc) that I normally take Mon-Fri for Lunch (which as you can imagine supplies well enough nutrients, vitamins etc). It works brilliantly and is great for a busy lifestyle like mine. The veg curry and brown rice is cooked on Sunday for Mon-Fri Lunch (batch cooking):wink::biggrin: so there is no "lengthy" cooking at all to do during the week, just preparing brown rice (using a rice cooking machine to make it easier:wink::biggrin:), toast, cereals.

I'd suggest to better first start with veg, stay with it for some time to get the hang of it etc. Then, if practical (and if you wish), go for vegan, and if you find it too hard no worries, even being veg itself is HUGELY awesome enough on its own in all honesty.:wink::smile::biggrin: Best of luck mate.

I am a vegetarian already
you know.. safe the cows
Thanks for the advice!
I am a vegetarian already
you know.. safe the cows
Thanks for the advice!

Wow, amazing, love it !!! Welcome:smile:
Pasta with pesto, kale and and mushroom
whole sweet potato put into oven
for desert I like to make chocolate mousse (put silken tofu 100g of melted dark chocolate and some agave nectar into blender and refrigerate for 1 hour, put frozen raspberries on top)
Reply 9
If you like such food, learn to cook Indian food. Infinite combinations of rice and lentils, lots of use of coconut and nuts so your protein intake will not suffer.
Reply 10
Cashews are a staple for me! Soak them in hot water for 5 minutes then blend with a splash of water and seasoning to make a creamy sauce replacement. I use this for carbonara, mac and cheese, Tarrogan chicken etc. Its so delicious!
Reply 11
You may also consider South East Asian cuisines- a lot of use of beancurd, herbs, and coconut. The desserts especially are nice, they all use coconut milk in place of dairy.
Reply 12

Most definitely. Best thing I ever did.
What I eat and would recommend:

Breakfast:
Oats, seeds, vegan milk, fruit and nut butter ( I basically only ever eat this for breakfast it's so nice lol). I'd rlly recommend trying cashew butter of almond butter if you don't like peanut butter.

cereal and toast. There is a rlly nice vegan cereal called maple sunrise, would recommend.

vegan yoghurt with granola/muesli, fruit and seeds.

Lunch:
hummus or tahini sandwich with spinach, tomato and cucumber with a side of carrots and a piece of fruit.
Alternatively, something like avocado on toast with the same sides or a sweet potato with a legume like chickpeas, vegetables, hummus or tahini and some nutritional yeast.
Sometimes I have a baked sweet potato (microwaved for about 5 mins) with a tablespoon or two of plain vegan yoghurt, peanut butter, fruit, and seeds.

Snack options:
fruit and nuts.
nakd bar
vegan yoghurt
lentil/ hummus crips (although I don't like crisps personally)
crackers with nut butter or hummus.
some vegan biscuits?
Banana nicecream: a blended frozen banana with vegan milk, a splash of maple syrup, chia seeds and blueberries.
Dates
hot chocolate e.g. the normal cadbury one is vegan and some whittards ones are. Sometimes I make my own e.g. with date syrup, unsweetened cocoa/cacao powder, spices and vegan milk.

Dinner:
A grain, like rice/quinoa/couscous with a legume e.g. pinto/kidney/haricot beans or chickpeas with vegetables, tahini/hummus and nutritional yeast.
other options;
vegetarian bolognese made with tinned chopped tomatoes, vegetables like grated carrot, mushrooms, spinach etc, olives, lentils and pasta.

Hope this helps. I'm not the most inventive, but occasionally I might make something like a vegetable curry or a sweet potato and vegetable stew served with a pitta bread.
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay I'm veggie but my sister is vegan and honestly take a lot of my meal inspo from her since I end up making my own meals most of the time. (These meals are mainly on the cheap and don't require lots of expensive substitutes.)

Breakfast:
Porridge (you can make it with plant milk but I use boiling water instead)
Jam or buttered toast (flora is 100% plant based spread)
Peanut butter & banana toast.
Scrambled tofu & vegan sausages with mushrooms etc if you're feeling boujee

Lunch:
I tend just to have a salad sandwich/roll or left overs from dinner.

Dinner:
Vegan macaroni (there is a recipe with nutritional yeast and potatoes)
Chilli (made with either lentils or plant based mince)
So many curries just google some recipes, chickpeas are a staple
Vegan pesto pasta
Beans on toast if you're struggling

Snacks:
veggies & hummus
dark chocolate
sorbet
crackers
vegan brownies/mug cake
nuts/seeds
just ya know fruit

Couple of general tips:
Herbal teas and black coffee are your best friend
You DO NOT need to buy plant milk, we don't (except on the rare occasion we are making cake or something) they are expensive and most of them don't taste great. Though it might be good if you are just starting out.
Take b-12 supplements, especially at the beginning
Buying cheap tins of mixed beans and chickpeas are always a good idea
Frozen veg is good as there is no rush to quickly use it, especially if you are on your own
Try to avoid meat substitutes as a regular thing, maybe once or twice a week.
When eating fast food the only vegan food that is affordable and amazing is the greggs vegan sausage roll.
Also try to cook from scratch when you come, might be a good idea to cook big portions and freeze
oh yeah and if you do get vegan milks don't buy organic as they don't have added vitamins. Go for something like Alpro or oatly which add extra calcium and vitamins and I have found vitalite to be the best vegan butter substitute. Always take multivitamins with B12 as a vegan and probs calcium tablets too. I take an a-z multivitamin with 2 calcium tablets a day. Deffo stock up on things like frozen fruit and vegetables. Frozen fruit is great chucked in porridge.
Richmond vegan sausages are incredible, taste exactly like meat
Reply 18
Original post by MiracleLeaf
Richmond vegan sausages are incredible, taste exactly like meat

sounds good
thank you
If you want something sweet you can still make chocolate cake at home. I use egg substitute which is a good investment instead of using other things because they work just like normal eggs, but it's powdery. And cocoa powder is vegan a lot of the time too. You can use oil instead of butter or flora margarine and if you're vegan full-time I'll assume you'll buy vegan milk too :smile:

Also tofu stir fry is the bomb, it's literally so easy to make and super worth it. Hope this helped

Quick Reply

Latest