The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

What is the University of Bath reputation like?

Got an offer to study Politics and International Relations at Bath and I was wondering how good their ranking/prestige is compared to RG universities (Exeter, Manchester etc.)

From what I've seen they have a very strong domestic reputation but a much weaker international reputation, why would that be? And as someone who seeks to work internationally after University, would this hold me back when I could alternatively go to Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham who all seem to do better in International rankings?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Got an offer to study Politics and International Relations at Bath and I was wondering how good their ranking/prestige is compared to RG universities (Exeter, Manchester etc.)

From what I've seen they have a very strong domestic reputation but a much weaker international reputation, why would that be? And as someone who seeks to work internationally after University, would this hold me back when I could alternatively go to Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham who all seem to do better in International rankings?

Thanks

I've seen this a lot, Universities ranking differently on international lists compared to eachother than on national lists.

Nationality Bath are in the top 10 percent, however internationaly they are in the top 20. International lists have a much larger sample size and are aimed at international students, so also take into account popularity and how well known the university or city is.

I'm guessing that as you care about international rankings you might be an international student?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by GHeard26
I've seen this a lot, Universities ranking differently on international lists compared to eachother than on national lists.

Nationality Bath are in the top 10 percent, however internationaly they are in the top 20. International lists have a much larger sample size and are aimed at international students, so also take into account popularity and how well known the university or city is.

I'm guessing that as you care about international rankings you might be an international student?

I'm actually not, but do plan to work abroad. So i try to put an emphasis on rankings which employers and people abroad may pay more attention to.
Bath and Bristol would probably be considered the same in the UK for this subject. Bristol is stronger overall but I believe Politics is an area of strength for Bath.

In terms of international opportunities, i don't really see any situation where going to one would advantage or disadvantage you over the other.
Reply 4
Any reason why specifically?
Reply 5
Original post by Possibly this
Bath and Bristol would probably be considered the same in the UK for this subject. Bristol is stronger overall but I believe Politics is an area of strength for Bath.

In terms of international opportunities, i don't really see any situation where going to one would advantage or disadvantage you over the other.

Yeah I heard bath and bristol both have amazing domestic reputations. I do like the whole campus environment so I'd probably rather go bath, but seeing bristol ranked like 50th and bath like 172th (QS) kinda worries me.
Reputation is a pretty nebulous quality to be basing your decision on where to study a degree...that said, Bath is very well regarded in the UK. You would however be better off making the decision based on the course content and more concrete things such as quality of life, cost of living and such.

Most people outside the UK won't know any of those universities specifically and will just vaguely nod along when you mention it because they've heard of the city. Only really Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE are actually specifically known otherwise...even UCL isn't really that widely known. That said, you can work internationally but be employed by a UK firm, or work for a MNC internationally but still be assessed and interviewed by UK based recruiters...so "international reputation" (or lack thereof) isn't even necessarily that relevant/important.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Reputation is a pretty nebulous quality to be basing your decision on where to study a degree...that said, Bath is very well regarded in the UK. You would however be better off making the decision based on the course content and more concrete things such as quality of life, cost of living and such.

Most people outside the UK won't know any of those universities specifically and will just vaguely nod along when you mention it because they've heard of the city. Only really Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE are actually specifically known otherwise...even UCL isn't really that widely known. That said, you can work internationally but be employed by a UK firm, or work for a MNC internationally but still be assessed and interviewed by UK based recruiters...so "international reputation" (or lack thereof) isn't even necessarily that relevant/important.

Thanks for the response! Obviously I have compared all those things as well, but I'm just trying to look at the picture as well post-uni and what my choices now may do to affect that future. Makes sense though that universities outside the big few aren't really known at all abroad.

Thanks

Hi there,

Despite Bath being slightly lower than others in international rankings, I would still say we do well internationally. Part of the reason we rank lower is due to being a smaller uni with not as many courses as other universities. Our Politics and IR degree is highly esteemed both nationally and internationally (so I'd suggest considering course specific rankings, and not purely general university rankings), and due to our placements programme and international student/lecturer cohort, we have great international connections and reputation, aside from rankings.

I would say that compared to the other universities you've mentioned, Bath is more reputable for Politics and IR, even compared to RG unis, so I wouldn't be too worried about being help back as you certainly wouldn't be. Bristol, Manchester and Birmingham are more cosmopolitan, international cities, so you meet more international people there, but in terms of international graduate prospects for Politics and IR, you'd likely have better graduate prospects with Bath since our Politics and IR course is generally more highly regarded.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Jessica, a third year NatSci student

Thanks

Hey! I'm finishing Politics and IR at Bath. What I can tell you: it's a good course, although I've been hit with a couple strikes from staff and a global pandemic (woops); I actually went to Bristol for two months and hated it, because it wasn't a campus and the vibe is very different; reputation is what you make of the course, you'll have plenty of support to find internships and placements, so I wouldn't worry; Exeter is similar to Bath uni but without the city nor the access to London by train in an hour; Manchester is very different. Good uni but very different town experience! Bath is smaller and very safe while Manchester will be a larger city experience.
Original post by Muffin777
Hey! I'm finishing Politics and IR at Bath. What I can tell you: it's a good course, although I've been hit with a couple strikes from staff and a global pandemic (woops); I actually went to Bristol for two months and hated it, because it wasn't a campus and the vibe is very different; reputation is what you make of the course, you'll have plenty of support to find internships and placements, so I wouldn't worry; Exeter is similar to Bath uni but without the city nor the access to London by train in an hour; Manchester is very different. Good uni but very different town experience! Bath is smaller and very safe while Manchester will be a larger city experience.

Thanks for the reply! Did you have the option to study abroad in the course?
Thanks for the reply! Did you have the option to study abroad in the course?

No, the study abroad is only for students who take something like Politics and Spanish. If you take Politics and IR with a placement year then you can go work abroad though. I'd say a solid half of people do their placement abroad, places like Brussels and Paris mostly.

Quick Reply

Latest