The Student Room Group

The University of greenwich, Westmister, East of London for Master in Finance

I am an International student and i would like to know which one is better ! thanks
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are your grades and your career plan? there are much better uni's for doing Masters in Finance.
Original post by prveqt
What are your grades and your career plan? there are much better uni's for doing Masters in Finance.

hi, thanks very much, yes I know there are better universities but too expensive, i would like to start my work experience in a good international company ( JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs ..) , then i have to choose one of these!
Original post by prveqt

What about Coventry University London ?
thanks again
Reply 4
If you want to pursue a career in investment banking you should aim for target schools or semi target in london
Reply 5
For msc in finance or related(in London) I would recommend : lse, ucl, imperial, lbs, cass, kings and as a last choice QMUL.
Original post by prveqt
If you want to pursue a career in investment banking you should aim for target schools or semi target in london

Ok, thanks very much for your help, then i have to check out this kind of universities, i do not want to lose money and time! and obviously do no get good job opportunities.
Original post by prveqt
For msc in finance or related(in London) I would recommend : lse, ucl, imperial, lbs, cass, kings and as a last choice QMUL.

ok, thanks very much again
Reply 8
Original post by leoleoleo777
Ok, thanks very much for your help, then i have to check out this kind of universities, i do not want to lose money and time! and obviously do no get good job opportunities.

If you need anything else just ask, good luck!
Original post by prveqt
If you need anything else just ask, good luckfro

for sure !! thanks for your time!
Reply 10
Also the demand for msc in finance is very high and they are very competitive so you can also see degrees that have finance and something else combined( they are cheaper)which still will give you the same career opportunities. Check the uni’s that I sent you above all of them have really good reputation
for sure !! thanks for your time!

In order to get a good job in investment baking you have more chances of succeeding if you aim at a target university.

Note that all the universities you are referring to (Greenwich, Westminster, East London) are all ex-polys and are not considered target schools. Polytechnics were abolished in 1992 and gained university status, almost 30 years later however these universities are not considered very good on average (since they do less research and have lower entry criteria).

For London I would recommend the following universities: LSE, UCL, LBS, Kings and City/Cass (all member institutions of the university of London). Imperial is also a very good choice (Imperial left the University of London in 2007). Queen Mary and Birkbeck are also good choices and have academic rigorous degrees.
Original post by ppapanastasiou
In order to get a good job in investment baking you have more chances of succeeding if you aim at a target university.

Note that all the universities you are referring to (Greenwich, Westminster, East London) are all ex-polys and are not considered target schools. Polytechnics were abolished in 1992 and gained university status, almost 30 years later however these universities are not considered very good on average (since they do less research and have lower entry criteria).

For London I would recommend the following universities: LSE, UCL, LBS, Kings and City/Cass (all member institutions of the university of London). Imperial is also a very good choice (Imperial left the University of London in 2007). Queen Mary and Birkbeck are also good choices and have academic rigorous degrees.

Ok, thanks very much i thought Birbeck was not considered as a good university but i will check it out ! what about holloway university London? and Middlesex University ?
Thanks very much again for your time
Reply 13
Ok, thanks very much i thought Birbeck was not considered as a good university but i will check it out ! what about holloway university London? and Middlesex University ?

Just check the Uni’s that I sent you. I wouldn’t recommend any other Uni in London for msc in Finance.
Original post by prveqt
Just check the Uni’s that I sent you. I wouldn’t recommend any other Uni in London for msc in Finance.

ok, i will check these out, thanks very much.

Birkbeck is academically very rigorous and its department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics has the reputation of having very quantitative Masters in Economics and Finance. Birkbeck similar to LSE, UCL, Kings, City, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary, Goldsmiths, LBS, SOAS etc. is also a constituent college of the university of London.

Royal Holloway is OK but not a target university (but it is a member institution of the University of London). Middlesex University is a an ex-poly so not really very good and definitely not a target university.

I agree with prveqt that in general only the universities he sent you are really worth considering.
(edited 3 years ago)

Hi,

Middlesex is great university which can provide you excellent facilities for studying. You can explore our campus here, during virtual tour: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/get-in-touch/virtual-tour

What would you like to study? Maybe I can provide you more appropiate information :smile:

Our tutors at Middlesex are really supportive and students are priority for them. Please, don't hesitate to contact me for more information

I wish you all the best with your application :smile: Alex
Original post by ppapanastasiou
Birkbeck is academically very rigorous and its department of Economics, Mathematics and Statistics has the reputation of having very quantitative Masters in Economics and Finance. Birkbeck similar to LSE, UCL, Kings, City, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary, Goldsmiths, LBS, SOAS etc. is also a constituent college of the university of London.

Royal Holloway is OK but not a target university (but it is a member institution of the University of London). Middlesex University is a an ex-poly so not really very good and definitely not a target university.

I agree with prveqt that in general only the universities he sent you are really worth considering.

Hi, thanks very much for your answer, then Birbeck would be a good option!! Do you think Royal would be a good option? I know it is not a target University but among the rest target universities is cheaper and obviously i think better than Greenwich, Westminster...

Thanks again for your time
Hi, thanks very much for your answer, then Birbeck would be a good option!! Do you think Royal would be a good option? I know it is not a target University but among the rest target universities is cheaper and obviously i think better than Greenwich, Westminster...

Birkbeck is as I mentioned academically very rigorous. The problem however is that is it not well known. So unless you want to go to academia I would not really highly recommend it, since it is not a target uni.

Royal Holloway is a good university but again also not a target uni.

In the end when you are trying to get a job a very important factor is the reputation of the university. So only the universities that prveqt mentioned are really worth applying for in London. These are again: LSE, LBS, UCL, City/Cass, Imperial, Kings and as a last choice Queen Mary. All of the above mentioned institutions are colleges of the university of London (except Imperial which left the UoL in 2007). So they all enjoy a good reputation.

Now does that mean if you go to Westminster or Middlesex which are ex-polys that your life is ruined and you will end up with no job or your chances of getting a good job on the front office of an IB will be completely shattered. Of course not!!! Life is more complicated and convoluted than that.

All that we are saying here is that if you are looking for reputable universities in London the list is rather short and quite specific. Asking if university X is also reputable is a bit meaningless. If it is in London and it is not one of these 7 universities then the answer is NO, it is not reputable. But this does not mean its crap nor that you will not learn something. In the end if it is a recognized university it is recognized by the UK government and monitored, so it must fulfill some minimum standards.

But anyone who believes that a MSc in finance at a LSE has the same reputation as a MSc in Finance at Westminster is in my view naive.
(edited 3 years ago)

Outside London good options apart from Oxford and Cambridge are Warwick and York. In case you want to explore also that option.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending