The Student Room Group

eating disorder??

since i was young i always stayed at my nannys on weekends, i never ate until night of saturday and sunday when my mum came home after work. all my friends said i was going to die because we were young (6) this lasted until i was 14 i am now 16 and my nanny passed away in 2018. i always hid that i wasn’t eating by making a bit of cereal and leaving it in a bowl in the morning and the same w lunch. i would spend the whole two days out with my friends. i never made myself sick and to this day i haven’t. it’s not noticeable that i don’t eat because when i do i have a slow metabolism and i gain weight for longer. i don’t think it’s an eating disorder but i want help on what it is. i never want to eat because i don’t want to put on weight, i usually only have a coffee to drink until about 2 and then binge eat for a hour and have a small dinner at around 8. i can’t tell my mum or friends because i don’t want them thinking i’m attention seeking, and my mum is all against mental health things so she will think someone is telling me to do it on my phone. but then again i don’t think it is an eating disorder i’m just confused.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you taught about going to a nutrition to help you
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Do0123
Did you taught about going to a nutrition to help you

what?
Original post by mylifex
since i was young i always stayed at my nannys on weekends, i never ate until night of saturday and sunday when my mum came home after work. all my friends said i was going to die because we were young (6) this lasted until i was 14 i am now 16 and my nanny passed away in 2018. i always hid that i wasn’t eating by making a bit of cereal and leaving it in a bowl in the morning and the same w lunch. i would spend the whole two days out with my friends. i never made myself sick and to this day i haven’t. it’s not noticeable that i don’t eat because when i do i have a slow metabolism and i gain weight for longer. i don’t think it’s an eating disorder but i want help on what it is. i never want to eat because i don’t want to put on weight, i usually only have a coffee to drink until about 2 and then binge eat for a hour and have a small dinner at around 8. i can’t tell my mum or friends because i don’t want them thinking i’m attention seeking, and my mum is all against mental health things so she will think someone is telling me to do it on my phone. but then again i don’t think it is an eating disorder i’m just confused.

That doesn't sound healthy. The idea of filling a bowl with cereal to make people think you have eaten is a red flag. If you dont want to eat cereal at least eat some fruit of something instead. Again, try and drink more, get an app to remind you to drink WATER. How much exercise do you do? And do you eat healthily when you eat? The binge eating is that unhealthy foods? I would suggest you just try and implement a healthy food routine. eg fruit for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner whilst drinking water in between. I think you dont have an eating disorder but you aren't eating in a way that is healthy for your mental health or body and it could develop into something more serious.
Reply 4
Original post by Serenity-M
That doesn't sound healthy. The idea of filling a bowl with cereal to make people think you have eaten is a red flag. If you dont want to eat cereal at least eat some fruit of something instead. Again, try and drink more, get an app to remind you to drink WATER. How much exercise do you do? And do you eat healthily when you eat? The binge eating is that unhealthy foods? I would suggest you just try and implement a healthy food routine. eg fruit for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner whilst drinking water in between. I think you dont have an eating disorder but you aren't eating in a way that is healthy for your mental health or body and it could develop into something more serious.

in my every day routine i wake up around 11 and have a coffee, i drink a litre of water and then do a workout for around 30 mins. i would then get back to either school work or on my phone, my mum would make me lunch either a panini pasta, salad or pizza. i would never finish all of it and just say i had a big breakfast even though i just put cereal in a bowl, i have a choice of breakfast either yogurt fruit or a fry but cereal is the easiest way i can lie about eating. when i binge it’s usually 2 biscuits and like a pack of crisps and a bag of sweets, it doesn’t seem like a lot but it feels like to much to me so after that i would do a work out and go for a walk. sometimes i would take a laxative or skip dinner, depends what mood i’m in. last night i didn’t have dinner because i blamed it on eating too much during the day when all i had was plain pasta and cheese and “cereal”. i can’t tell my counsellor because she will tell my mum and then i well have to get help and i don’t want my mum to be stressed so i try to deal with it myself. my friends and family always say i have a nice figure and when i call myself fat they obviously disagree the same with my friends, but i don’t feel healthy and feel fat and think the only way to solve it is not eating.
Original post by mylifex
in my every day routine i wake up around 11 and have a coffee, i drink a litre of water and then do a workout for around 30 mins. i would then get back to either school work or on my phone, my mum would make me lunch either a panini pasta, salad or pizza. i would never finish all of it and just say i had a big breakfast even though i just put cereal in a bowl, i have a choice of breakfast either yogurt fruit or a fry but cereal is the easiest way i can lie about eating. when i binge it’s usually 2 biscuits and like a pack of crisps and a bag of sweets, it doesn’t seem like a lot but it feels like to much to me so after that i would do a work out and go for a walk. sometimes i would take a laxative or skip dinner, depends what mood i’m in. last night i didn’t have dinner because i blamed it on eating too much during the day when all i had was plain pasta and cheese and “cereal”. i can’t tell my counsellor because she will tell my mum and then i well have to get help and i don’t want my mum to be stressed so i try to deal with it myself. my friends and family always say i have a nice figure and when i call myself fat they obviously disagree the same with my friends, but i don’t feel healthy and feel fat and think the only way to solve it is not eating.

From my point of view You're not eating healthy. If youre worried about gaining weight Then skip the snacks and have proper meals instead. You're not heading in a good direction and the 3 exercise things a day doesn't sound good. Say if you've been working all day and you want to to go for a walk to stretch your legs that's fine but if it's 'i need to do exercise because I've eaten' that's bad. I know someone who had a serious eating disorder and I think it started if like it is with you. Not to panic you though. Of course people eat different amounts but if you're concerned please talk to someone. You'll stress your parents out more if you develop a eating disorder then if you nip it in the bud now. The lying is the concerning part. Please talk to someone. With my friend they had to miss most of a school year because of it, couldn't do any exercise and had a breakdown every time they had to eat. You don't want you or your family to go through that so please speak to someone.
Reply 6
From my point of view You're not eating healthy. If youre worried about gaining weight Then skip the snacks and have proper meals instead. You're not heading in a good direction and the 3 exercise things a day doesn't sound good. Say if you've been working all day and you want to to go for a walk to stretch your legs that's fine but if it's 'i need to do exercise because I've eaten' that's bad. I know someone who had a serious eating disorder and I think it started if like it is with you. Not to panic you though. Of course people eat different amounts but if you're concerned please talk to someone. You'll stress your parents out more if you develop a eating disorder then if you nip it in the bud now. The lying is the concerning part. Please talk to someone. With my friend they had to miss most of a school year because of it, couldn't do any exercise and had a breakdown every time they had to eat. You don't want you or your family to go through that so please speak to someone.

it’s so stressful because it’s something i’ve trained myself to do since i was younger i now i regret it but at the same time i don’t because i want to continue doing this so i succeed the figure i want. i’m too scared to talk to friends about it because they are the type of people to have a laugh about eating disorders but not in a bullying way, like my best friend is always there and so am i but i just feel this is something big i don’t want her to know
Sorry, but the second you start doing things like putting cereal in a bowl to make people think you're eating it, that's an eating disorder.

My eating schedule is weird due to work, so I will eat my first meal of the day at midday, then have dinner at 6, then a snack later. So basically I skip lunch (because I always have a breakfast-type meal at lunch time). So the time of day you eat isn't the problem, rather your attitude towards hiding it, and your fear of gaining weight from eating what is very little.
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Sorry, but the second you start doing things like putting cereal in a bowl to make people think you're eating it, that's an eating disorder.

My eating schedule is weird due to work, so I will eat my first meal of the day at midday, then have dinner at 6, then a snack later. So basically I skip lunch (because I always have a breakfast-type meal at lunch time). So the time of day you eat isn't the problem, rather your attitude towards hiding it, and your fear of gaining weight from eating what is very little.

i feel isolation and lockdown is making it worse because in school i eat break which usually potato bread or a crisps, and my friends don’t think anything of it because they see me eating and if i tell them then they won’t believe me. but i don’t want to admit it to myself that i have an eating disorder without getting it checked up obviously but even if i do go to my gp and that is the reality i still don’t want to believe it because it is something a lot of people look down on in now a days society. when i was in school and i didn’t eat dinner i would blame it on eating a big lunch in school when in reality i didn’t eat at all.
Reply 9
Eating Disorders come in many forms, there's no one way to experience an eating disorder or a form of disordered eating, but they often revolve around preoccupation with food and weight, compensatory behaviours, eating too much or too little and having very strict habits or routines around food. Often people with an eating disorder don't think they're sick, this is often because their self-perception is distorted or they're in denial about having an eating disorder to begin with. There's not just Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder: there's also OSFED and ARFID. OSFED is the most common eating disorder, approximately 50% of ED's are categorised as OSFED.

None of us on here can really help you with what it is - we aren't medical professionals (and even if we are, we cannot diagnose or give much personal advice over an anonymous forum lol.:smile:) Your best advice would be to see your GP, they will be able to point you in the right direction to a dietician or CAMHS, or tell you what other condition it may be if you (and your GP) are absolutely certain it isn't an eating disorder.

Honestly, from someone who has spent 7 months in treatment for anorexia, I can tell you that eating disorders are increasingly understood and decreasingly 'looked down upon.' You will find more people who will be willing to help than people who are ignorant to it.

As you are 16, most GP practices will allow you to make appointments and attend them alone. If you require input from CAMHS, your parents may be informed that you have been referred... however at CAMHS appointments, what you say in individual meetings will stay between you and your CAMHS worker (unless there's a significant risk to you.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mylifex
it’s so stressful because it’s something i’ve trained myself to do since i was younger i now i regret it but at the same time i don’t because i want to continue doing this so i succeed the figure i want. i’m too scared to talk to friends about it because they are the type of people to have a laugh about eating disorders but not in a bullying way, like my best friend is always there and so am i but i just feel this is something big i don’t want her to know

Then don't tell you friends, tell your parents. Your mental health is more important then your figure
Reply 11
Then don't tell you friends, tell your parents. Your mental health is more important then your figure

i can’t tell my mum because she doesn’t believe young people can have metal health problems because they don’t have to deal with bill money or relationship in her eyes. so anything she hears someone has committed suicide or is staving themselves she says it’s just attention seeking and usually laughs at them. we were even watching a psych ward show and she was laughing at the girls who had eating disorders and was telling the boys to wise up who were having panic attack and switching personalities. like i can’t trust her and if i tell any of my other family they react the same. so i only really have my friends or counsellor but obviously she will tell my mum because i’m putting myself at risk, the same with m gp
Original post by mylifex
i can’t tell my mum because she doesn’t believe young people can have metal health problems because they don’t have to deal with bill money or relationship in her eyes. so anything she hears someone has committed suicide or is staving themselves she says it’s just attention seeking and usually laughs at them. we were even watching a psych ward show and she was laughing at the girls who had eating disorders and was telling the boys to wise up who were having panic attack and switching personalities. like i can’t trust her and if i tell any of my other family they react the same. so i only really have my friends or counsellor but obviously she will tell my mum because i’m putting myself at risk, the same with m gp

Ok im really not sure who you can turn to for help then. Maybe you can call a different counsellor? As in you know when you can call someone if you have medical questions. How old are you btw?
Reply 13
Ok im really not sure who you can turn to for help then. Maybe you can call a different counsellor? As in you know when you can call someone if you have medical questions. How old are you btw?

my friends lol? sure they shld b here for me. and i’m 16
Original post by mylifex
my friends lol? sure they shld b here for me. and i’m 16

Ok I think at 16 you can see a doctor without permission. Try and start eating regularly, no skipping meals and dont lie about not eating, it will be tough. Try and skip the sweets in favour of more nutritional foods and then once lockdown ends go see a doctor. They should be able to give you a meal plan. As in you just need to do baby steps. Tommorow: Small bowl of cereal, Plate of lunch, snack, plate of dinner. Just eat until you're full. How often do you feel hungry? The meals you eat are they balanced or is it ready meals and such? Please please please try your best, you're fine as long as you are aware that something is wrong but as it gets more extreme you'll start to be in denial and justify it which will lead to a spiral
I am not a medical proffesional Im just going of what I know from my friend
Reply 15
Ok I think at 16 you can see a doctor without permission. Try and start eating regularly, no skipping meals and dont lie about not eating, it will be tough. Try and skip the sweets in favour of more nutritional foods and then once lockdown ends go see a doctor. They should be able to give you a meal plan. As in you just need to do baby steps. Tommorow: Small bowl of cereal, Plate of lunch, snack, plate of dinner. Just eat until you're full. How often do you feel hungry? The meals you eat are they balanced or is it ready meals and such? Please please please try your best, you're fine as long as you are aware that something is wrong but as it gets more extreme you'll start to be in denial and justify it which will lead to a spiral

the foods i eat would b a full plate meal of meat veg and carbs but i wouldn’t eat it all, like i would only not even quarter n then say im full. i usually stay up all night and then sleep til about 3 so i’ve missed breakfast and lunch and then say i don’t have an appetite for dinner or just eat and bit and have a coffee to give me energy.
Original post by mylifex
the foods i eat would b a full plate meal of meat veg and carbs but i wouldn’t eat it all, like i would only not even quarter n then say im full. i usually stay up all night and then sleep til about 3 so i’ve missed breakfast and lunch and then say i don’t have an appetite for dinner or just eat and bit and have a coffee to give me energy.

But when you say you're not full do you feel full?
Original post by mylifex

Hi @mylifex

I really think you need to speak to someone about your eating patterns. Exercising and pretending you have eaten. You are very obviously concerned and asking for advice and support. That is the part of you that wants some advice and bravely asking for help.

There is a service you can contact in confidence here they will be able to answer all the questions you need?

Take care.

Ruth
Reply 18

But when you say you're not full do you feel full?

no i just pretend i’m too full to eat anymore or say i already ate loads that day or i’ve lost my appetite
Original post by mylifex

no i just pretend i’m too full to eat anymore or say i already ate loads that day or i’ve lost my appetite

Ok no thats not good, please look at what @PAPYRUS-UK has written. You need to get your eating pattern sorted out. Are you aware of your weight and how many calories you eat? Do you know if you are underweight?
As you still live with your parents you need to tell them about it as you need someone to regulate what you eat so you are eating enough. You need to see a doctor, preferably a specialist, so they can give you a meal plan. I know you said your mum isnt supporting of mental health conditions, is there anyone else in your household who you can talk to? If not you will need to talk to your mum and even if she wont acknowledge it you need to get her to monitor your food intake. You should be eating breakfast, lunch and dinner and a snack at some point. My friend who had an eating disorder had to eat a big breakfast, a snack, a big lunch, 2 or 3 more snacks before dinner and then a big dinner and then another snack. But they were seriously anorexic so it may be different for you. PLEASE TALK TO A DOCTOR.

Quick Reply

Latest