The Student Room Group

advice for transitioning from gcse in a level bio, chem and maths

I would appreciate any advice from any year 12/13s who are doing/have done A level Bio, Chem and Maths. I am aiming for at least A*AA.
I have been:
-reading and understanding the content in biology and chemistry a level textbooks.
- researched what is required of me in the BMAT/UCAT tests and the admissions process for each of the unis that I am interested in.
-made some notes for at least the first section of the bio and chem a level (referencing the specification) although i don't think i will continue to do this until i go back to school.
I'm not really sure about what i should be doing right now to boost my grades in year 12 (especially considering that i have so much time on my hands).
Reply 1
a level biology and chemistry is filled with a lot of content so if you start learning some of the content now it will be much easier for you at a level
I use snap revise to aid my revision so I think you should have a go looking through the website for biology, chemistry, and maths.
I hope this advice was helpful and good luck.
For maths, are you completely confident with algebra GCSE content?
Reply 3
Original post by Dancer2001
For maths, are you completely confident with algebra GCSE content

for a level maths you need to know GCSE content algebra
Original post by kadiatuj0001
a level biology and chemistry is filled with a lot of content so if you start learning some of the content now it will be much easier for you at a level
I use snap revise to aid my revision so I think you should have a go looking through the website for biology, chemistry, and maths.
I hope this advice was helpful and good luck.

Thank you, I will make sure to check out snap revise.
Reply 5
Welcome and Goodluck

Original post by 987hannah789
Thank you, I will make sure to check out snap revise.
Original post by kadiatuj0001
for a level maths you need to know GCSE content algebra

I'm 90% confident and I'm aware that there is some overlap between the algebra in GCSE and A level. I will make sure to perfect my algebra and do the first chapter of the A level course because if I'm not mistaken, this is the overlap between GCSE and A level (at least for Edexcel Maths).
I'm 90% confident and I'm aware that there is some overlap between the algebra in GCSE and A level. I will make sure to perfect my algebra and do the first chapter of the A level course because if I'm not mistaken, this is the overlap between GCSE and A level (at least for Edexcel Maths).

That’s good. The things that I struggled with at the start of A level were like sketching graphs of quadratics/cubics accurately, and understanding trig functions.
That’s good. The things that I struggled with at the start of A level were like sketching graphs of quadratics/cubics accurately, and understanding trig functions.

Are there any online resources (YT channels or websites) that you have found useful? I'm struggling to find any for Edexcel.
advice I wish I had given myself:-You can not be perfect at the subject as soon as you start it do not be to hard on yourself and try not to give up.I had always secured top marks at GCSE and you have to remember that it might not be easy to carry that through in to a-levels without a few months practice.-Take breaks, the jump up can be daunting you will be more successful if you maintain good mental and physical wellbeing.-From a study point of view, make flashcards from the very start I really recommend quizlet-And you have heard it before and you will hear it again because it does work, practice questions!good luck you have chosen the three best subjects ! (even if i a a bit biased)
Original post by organicstudent
advice I wish I had given myself:-You can not be perfect at the subject as soon as you start it do not be to hard on yourself and try not to give up.I had always secured top marks at GCSE and you have to remember that it might not be easy to carry that through in to a-levels without a few months practice.-Take breaks, the jump up can be daunting you will be more successful if you maintain good mental and physical wellbeing.-From a study point of view, make flashcards from the very start I really recommend quizlet-And you have heard it before and you will hear it again because it does work, practice questions!good luck you have chosen the three best subjects ! (even if i a a bit biased)

Thank you so much for your advice!
Are there any online resources (YT channels or websites) that you have found useful? I'm struggling to find any for Edexcel.

Not specifically for the A level spec, but https://www.youtube.com/user/misterwootube has useful videos on specific topics that are easy to follow.
Once you get a bit further on, 3blue1brown has videos on calculus and vectors that explain it really well. The main ones might be a bit hard to follow right now, but the lockdown ones are aimed at a lower level.
(edited 3 years ago)
Not specifically for the A level spec, but https://www.youtube.com/user/misterwootube has useful videos on specific topics that are easy to follow. Once you get a bit further on, 3blue1brown has videos on calculus and vectors that explain it really well.

Thank you!
I took biology and chemistry......biology content isn’t bad but the actual exam papers are a nightmare lol good luck ~ year 13

Many schools don't do enough algebra.

Try the revision resources here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE
Reply 15
I'm doing bio and chem and one thing i'd say is when you start year 12 don't fall behind on work!!! Catching up with content in Alevel is much harder than GCSE - my biggest regret lol. Eliot Rintoul on Youtube is really good for chemistry as well :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Many schools don't do enough algebra.

Try the revision resources here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE

Thank you for the revision resource advice!
Thank you for the revision resource advice!

We set holiday work as prep because it's important to keep practising those skills :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest