Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello, I have this question:
Name:  816DB154-91B8-46BE-907D-D2465E089C95.jpg.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  16.6 KB

I have used the product of all 3 roots equalling -d/a relationship to then further solve for alpha. I end up solving a quadratic to which alpha is 3 - 2i
I then go to substitute 3 2i into the 3 expressions of the roots of the cubic and I don’t get the correct answers because one of them should be the complex conjugate of 3 2i -> 3 - 2i.
I have checked and made sure the answers to alpha are solved correct. I don’t understand why substitution into the expressions for solved alpha doesn’t yield me the other two correct roots if given those are correct expressions for the 3 roots.
My workings:
Name:  F0421A08-6EAF-4C46-B144-DB3E8C28D15B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 43
Size:  28.4 KB

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Last edited by BrandonS15; 6 months ago
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Have you tried substituting 3 2i into f(x) to check if it’s actually a root? If it isn’t, you know the mistake is in the algebra before that. If it is, you can assume 3-2i will also work and use those to find the other.
Edit: just realised this will be awkward with m and n, but I would still do it for the and - and compare answers.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 6 months ago
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BrandonS15)

I have used the product of all 3 roots equalling -d/a relationship to then further solve for alpha. I end up solving a quadratic to which alpha is 3 +- 2i
I then go to substitute 3 + 2i into the 3 expressions of the roots of the cubic and I don’t get the correct answers because one of them should be the complex conjugate of 3 + 2i -> 3 - 2i.
I have checked and made sure the answers to alpha are solved correct. I don’t understand why substitution into the expressions for solved alpha doesn’t yield me the other two correct roots if given those are correct expressions for the 3 roots.
My workings:

Images don't appear.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Name:  816DB154-91B8-46BE-907D-D2465E089C95.jpg.jpeg
Views: 37

I have used the product of all 3 roots equalling -d/a relationship to then further solve for alpha. I end up solving a quadratic to which alpha is 3 +- 2i
I then go to substitute 3 + 2i into the 3 expressions of the roots of the cubic and I don’t get the correct answers because one of them should be the complex conjugate of 3 + 2i -> 3 - 2i.
My workings:
Name:  F0421A08-6EAF-4C46-B144-DB3E8C28D15B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 43

Roots of polynomials only come in conjugate pairs if all of the coefficents are real. I haven't done the second part of the question, but I expect you will find that at least one of m and n are not real.
username5154386
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey, I know it's not very helpful, but I just wanted to say:
"Well done for maintaining such a neat handwriting".
Keep it up :P
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Images don't appear.
Question:
Name:  B6EA9259-D94F-48E6-B9E8-704FF0B06CB1.jpg.jpeg
Views: 22

Workings:
Name:  9B5FE13B-5B63-4215-AD0A-8AF99471088B.jpg.jpeg
Views: 21
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Question:

Workings:
I guess TSR is having a slow day.

Prince Philip
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I guess TSR is having a slow day.

I can see them all okay :dontknow:
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Me too.
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pangol)
Roots of polynomials only come in conjugate pairs if all of the coefficents are real. I haven't done the second part of the question, but I expect you will find that at least one of m and n are not real.
I checked the algebra and its correct in yielding alpha as 3 +- 2i however I understand that the complex roots only come as conjugate pairs if the coefficients of the polynomial are real. Therefore instead of assuming they should be conjugate pairs, I directly substituted alpha as 3 + 2i into 1/alpha and the other expression to yield the other two given roots to the cubic however, these do not match the correct answers of 3 + 2i, 3 -2i and 4. I’m not sure how to obtain the other two roots of the cubic given the expression of the roots and a correctly calculated value for alpha.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I checked the algebra and its correct in yielding alpha as 3 +- 2i however I understand that the complex roots only come as conjugate pairs if the coefficients of the polynomial are real. Therefore instead of assuming they should be conjugate pairs, I directly substituted alpha as 3 + 2i into 1/alpha and the other expression to yield the other two given roots to the cubic however, these do not match the correct answers of 3 + 2i, 3 -2i and 4. I’m not sure how to obtain the other two roots of the cubic given the expression of the roots and a correctly calculated value for alpha.
Are you sure those are the correct answers? Where does the question come from?
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are you sure those are the correct answers?
I think there may be typos in the question, and suspect (tentatively) that the roots are supposed to be a, 13/a and a + 13/a - 2.
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Are you sure those are the correct answers? Where does the question come from?
Oh hang on, I've found it. This is one of those Edexcel end of unit tests that they put out when the A Levels were reformed. There are quite a few errors in them, and I think this question is one of them.

It looks to me as if you have done the right thing based on the information given to you, but the way the question is phrased is wrong. I'm trying to see what their error is, but can't come up with anything that puts it quite right.
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
Oh hang on, I've found it. This is one of those Edexcel end of unit tests that they put out when the A Levels were reformed. There are quite a few errors in them, and I think this question is one of them.

It looks to me as if you have done the right thing based on the information given to you, but the way the question is phrased is wrong. I'm trying to see what their error is, but can't come up with anything that puts it quite right.
Yes it is Unit Test 5 for the Core Pure Book 1 FM
BrandonS15
Rep:
?
(Original post by old_engineer)
I think there may be typos in the question, and suspect (tentatively) that the roots are supposed to be a, 13/a and a + 13/a - 2.
Using those 3 expressions as the given expressions in the questions do yield me the correct roots and therefore the correct values of m and n as given in the answers. I’m now confident its an error in the question. Thanks
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It works now that I switched to the 'Beta' version of the new page layout (enabled all the way at the bottom of the page).

Perhaps this is a sign that I should be getting used to it
Pangol
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by old_engineer)
Oh you genius. I tried using 13/a instead of 1/a, but couldn't see how to adjust the other root to match. This must be it. (PRSOM)
Prince Philip
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It works now that I switched to the 'Beta' version of the new page layout (enabled all the way at the bottom of the page).

Perhaps this is a sign that I should be getting used to it
I'm surprised that they haven't got rid of the old page yet - I'm sure they said they would last year!
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm surprised that they haven't got rid of the old page yet - I'm sure they said they would last year!
Oh you know how they are, they say they will do something but take 10 years to touch the subject
S & L
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, can anyone share Edexcel AS Further Maths Core Pure end of course test paper?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (676)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.21%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads