The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Big uni dilemma need urgent advice (Nottingham accommodation)

I find it very difficult to make decisions, due to self doubt and over complicating things, as a result I have only now decided on Nottingham university over Birmingham although there is not much between them.

However I have just learned that Nottingham accommodation is first come first serve and all of the en suite rooms have gone, which is something that was a key factor for me.

My first question is what is the likelihood of me getting ensuite accomodation after results day?

Secondly should I still chose Nottingham or should I firm Birmingham instead because of this?

Any advice would be really appreciated i'm panicking a lot at the moment, thanks
Last year I got allocated a studio at notts after results day which would obvs mean you get an en-suite. But I wouldn’t change unis just because of accommodation! So many of my friends who had shared bathrooms said it wasn’t a problem for them and you will probs end up sharing in your second year anyway. Besides Nottingham is great! (Of course I’m biased 😂)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Tasha Black
Last year I got allocated a studio at notts after results day which would obvs mean you get an en-suite. But I wouldn’t change unis just because of accommodation! So many of my friends who had shared bathrooms said it wasn’t a problem for them and you will probs end up sharing in your second year anyway. Besides Nottingham is great! (Of course I’m biased 😂)

Oh wow okay so you think there's a chance I could get accommodation changed? Yeah that's true thanks for your reply! :smile:
Original post by Admera
Oh wow okay so you think there's a chance I could get accommodation changed? Yeah that's true thanks for your reply! :smile:

Yeah there’s always a chance! Plus you can put yourself down on a waitlist for an en-suite room. A lot of people drop out in the first few weeks and you could take their room. But don’t stress yet and sharing a bathroom isn’t all bad because it means you get a cleaner every week rather than having to do it yourself ☺️
In my opinion, en-suite rooms really aren't important or necessary. You'll probably never have an en-suite again. I had an en-suite when I was at uni this year. I dropped out for a variety of reasons, but at the uni I'm going to in September, I've applied for shared as my first choice. It's really as not as big a deal as I initially thought it was.
Of course it will depend on the uni. The shared at my old uni were pretty grim, but it was a pretty sh*t uni.
My advice would be absolutely do not choose a uni just because they're more likely (and it is more likely, there's no guarantee of an en-suite at any uni) to give you an en-suite. Choose the uni you genuinely like more; the course, the city, the actual campus(es), societies and SU.
Reply 5

Hi i was looking at accommodation and the en-suites were all fully booked so i went for a studio instead. Would you say it's harder to make friends when your living in a studio and what is it like living in a studio in general?
Original post by Admera
I find it very difficult to make decisions, due to self doubt and over complicating things, as a result I have only now decided on Nottingham university over Birmingham although there is not much between them.

However I have just learned that Nottingham accommodation is first come first serve and all of the en suite rooms have gone, which is something that was a key factor for me.

My first question is what is the likelihood of me getting ensuite accomodation after results day?

Secondly should I still chose Nottingham or should I firm Birmingham instead because of this?

Any advice would be really appreciated i'm panicking a lot at the moment, thanks

Pick the uni you want to go to for the course/city/career not for freshers halls.

Your not gunna live in an en-suit in years 2/3/4 anyway (you'll probably get a house and share, and realize having your own house is better).

Choosing a uni for halls is bonkers to me, but you do you.

Ive seen a lot of people "panic" this year about getting the perfect room, honestly relax. Any room will be fine plenty of people dont get their 1st or second choice. Just relax, freshers is what you make of it not the flat you get put in.
I also was very put off when I found out there was no ensuite accommodation left. Some accommodations like Raleigh Park/ Manor Villages don't look too bad as a standard room if that helps. They're both close by to each other and Manor Villages requires you to book on a separate website. They're room look bigger and nicer too!
Original post by Shaj110
Hi i was looking at accommodation and the en-suites were all fully booked so i went for a studio instead. Would you say it's harder to make friends when your living in a studio and what is it like living in a studio in general?

You just need to put yourself out there a bit more as you won’t have flat mates. On the first day I made sure to knock on everyone’s door in my hallway. As a group we then ventured into other hallways and met more people. In the end my core group of friends were all from studios in the same block as me, two the same hallway. We would meet up for movie nights, takeaways and revision sessions in my room. Just make sure to be proactive in meeting up with friends as you don’t share a kitchen so you won’t ever bump into someone and spontaneously start chatting. In general It’s nice because you have a table and chairs to eat at. You also don’t have to worry about there being any mess or if your messy other people complaining about it. Your room will also be bigger and more modern than the standard rooms (I’m talking about Broadgate here). Just make sure you don’t hideaway in your room and you will make friends!!
Reply 9
You just need to put yourself out there a bit more as you won’t have flat mates. On the first day I made sure to knock on everyone’s door in my hallway. As a group we then ventured into other hallways and met more people. In the end my core group of friends were all from studios in the same block as me, two the same hallway. We would meet up for movie nights, takeaways and revision sessions in my room. Just make sure to be proactive in meeting up with friends as you don’t share a kitchen so you won’t ever bump into someone and spontaneously start chatting. In general It’s nice because you have a table and chairs to eat at. You also don’t have to worry about there being any mess or if your messy other people complaining about it. Your room will also be bigger and more modern than the standard rooms (I’m talking about Broadgate here). Just make sure you don’t hideaway in your room and you will make friends!!

Thank you so much for that I feel so much relieved now
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
I also was very put off when I found out there was no ensuite accommodation left. Some accommodations like Raleigh Park/ Manor Villages don't look too bad as a standard room if that helps. They're both close by to each other and Manor Villages requires you to book on a separate website. They're room look bigger and nicer too!

Hi thanks for your response, I haven't heard of Manor Villages, is it common for nottingham students to chose this accommodation?
Original post by Admera
Hi thanks for your response, I haven't heard of Manor Villages, is it common for nottingham students to chose this accommodation?

I hadnt heard of it either as its not on Nottingham's website however my sister who is due to graduate this year from notts told me about it. There will definitely be students from Nottingham there as its close to the uni. I applied for one of the rooms and they asked what year of study you will be in so im hoping that means they group first years together!
Reply 12

Hi sorry to bother you again. I wanted to ask if broadgate put first years that are in studios near each other? I feel that’ll make it easier to make friends or is it mixed with second/third years/postgraduates
Original post by Shaj110
Hi sorry to bother you again. I wanted to ask if broadgate put first years that are in studios near each other? I feel that’ll make it easier to make friends or is it mixed with second/third years/postgraduates

Ive applied for a studio at broadgate so i hope they do!
Reply 14

It makes sense for them to do that. What course will you be studying ?
Reply 15
Original post by Admera

I applied to accommodation for the second half of my first year and managed to get an ensuite at Jubilee Campus so it is somewhat likely I suppose, just make sure that you keep a lookout for it.
Original post by Shaj110
It makes sense for them to do that. What course will you be studying ?

Product design and manufacture engineering, what about you?
Original post by Shaj110

They are mixed. My hallway had 10 people which is considered one of the small ones. We had 5 first years, 2 second years and 3 third years. None of the hallways I went to were completely made up of one year group so it is mixed. However there was never just one person from a certain year group, so there should be other first years in your hallway. Plus there will be other first years in the hall next door and in general there are a lot more first years than any other year group so you won’t find it hard to find them!
Reply 18
Product design and manufacture engineering, what about you?

Pharmacy hopefully
Original post by Admera

Hi I have an en-suite room available in The Glasshouse Nottingham might be too late and not suit you but just thought I’d try :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending