The Student Room Group

Dont you think its a joke that online degrees cost 6k per year?

Like its still pretty damn high... should be 3k a year MAX

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThuggerThugger

Because?
I mean - I don't think you can really say this without seeing the usual 9k itemised. Things might be (and probably are) more expensive than you think.
Not a joke because it's not a laughing matter.
But I do believe that fees for most online, part time and distance learning programmes are far too high.
Original post by 999tigger
Because?

Not even going to answer that, I feel the reason is obvious.
Original post by londonmyst
Not a joke because it's not a laughing matter.
But I do believe that fees for most online, part time and distance learning programmes are far too high.

Didn’t mean it literally..
Yeah once upon a time it didn't seem ridiculous that a hairdresser could pay for an OU course out of their own wages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educating_Rita
Online degrees are just a waste of time, honestly if you want to learn then just go to a university and live like a student.I dont understand why people would pay 6k a year and skip on all the fun sh@t you do in university lol
Original post by TheArchitect365
Online degrees are just a waste of time, honestly if you want to learn then just go to a university and live like a student.I dont understand why people would pay 6k a year and skip on all the fun sh@t you do in university lol

...This is ignorant. If you're a parent, full-time worker, etc.
Original post by Euphoria101
...This is ignorant. If you're a parent, full-time worker, etc.

Lol your acting like a employee would value a online certificate the same as a "proper" degree , I'm sorry to sound judgemental but why would you become a parent if you know there is a chance you will return to education but yeah I agree on the full time worker.
Lol your acting like a employee would value a online certificate the same as a "proper" degree , I'm sorry to sound judgemental but why would you become a parent if you know there is a chance you will return to education but yeah I agree on the full time worker.

"I'm sorry to be judgemental'
Reply 11

Online degrees, especially distance learning Masters programs, are respected and if taken part time alongside work can often be paid by the employer. Sometimes employers will encourage people to take them, such as for MBAs or compsci masters.
Original post by chi2
Online degrees, especially distance learning Masters programs, are respected and if taken part time alongside work can often be paid by the employer. Sometimes employers will encourage people to take them, such as for MBAs or compsci masters.

Okay so what about a bachelor's? I refuse to believe that a employer will not discriminate. People listen , if you want a degree then go to a university, online degrees are a waste of time unless it's a short course that can be done in 6 months and even then is it worth 1-3k?
Okay so what about a bachelor's? I refuse to believe that a employer will not discriminate. People listen , if you want a degree then go to a university, online degrees are a waste of time unless it's a short course that can be done in 6 months and even then is it worth 1-3k?

How old are you?

Why would there be a depreciation in quality just because youre not physically in a lecture theatre?

When you graduate and enter the real world you'll realize the format of your degree makes no difference and the real learning begins when you start employment.

Lecturers can film themselves delivering a lecture, many institutions do this already. Other than essential contact time delivered in labs, you will be self teaching and expanding on the lecture slides yourself.
If you want to ask questions, email or zoom.
Reply 15

Some online bachelors are probably more respected than face-to-face degrees offered by ex-polys like Oxford Brookes or Portsmouth. LSE do an online BSc, and Open University has been in the distance learning business since 1969 and have numerous degrees accredited by professional organisations (not even all face-to-face programs that could be accredited get accredited).
Do you have a degree or full time job yourself? :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Do you have a degree or job yourself? :smile:

Well I'm beginning my degree in September hopefully , I have a a online business that I run
Not even going to answer that, I feel the reason is obvious.
Given the large number of Higher Ed institutions making financial losses in recent years, I'm not sure the answer is obvious. The university charges what they need to stay financially afloat, which is why the vast majority of courses meet the £9250 limit on fees. Because running a university is pretty expensive.
Well I'm beginning my degree in September hopefully , I have a a online business that I run
I see. So your statements that employers do or don't value X or Y is based on what experience? Have you spoken to many employers about this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending