The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at being accepted for architecture at Cambridge?!!!!

I'm in Year 11 now. My GCSE predicted grades are NOT great. They are:
Physics- 5
Chem- 5
Bio-5
Maths- 8/9
Eng. Lit.- 8
Eng. Lang.- 8
R.S.- 9
Art- 9
Drama- 9
Spanish- 7/8
(With the problems obviously being phys, bio and chem).
I'm going to take Maths, Art, RS (Philosophy and Ethics) for a-level. All my teachers think I'll do very well in these subjects at a-level. I'm also going to do an EPQ. I have a REAL passion for architecture too.
In terms of my GCSE grades do I even have a shot at being able to get into Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Their website says they dont have gcse requirements but most of the students who apply have 4-5 grade 7s and above. Also for the architecture course, it mentions art is beneficial, so your predicted grade and the fact you're taking at alevel is really good. Worth checking out what their website says for your course. But id say get loads of experience asap as ive been putting off getting work experience and now have none and probably wont be able to get any for my uni application due to the virus. Good luck
Firstly I just wanted to say that these are amazing GCSE results to get so be proud of yourself!

I definitely think you have a shot at getting in - you have to remember that the admissions process is made up of many different parts (the personal statement, entrance exams (if needed), past grades and predicted grades, reference and etc). These are all judged equally, and Cambridge actually pay less attention to GCSE grades and focus more on predicted grades and marks achieved.
Original post by marie12376987
Firstly I just wanted to say that these are amazing GCSE results to get so be proud of yourself!

I definitely think you have a shot at getting in - you have to remember that the admissions process is made up of many different parts (the personal statement, entrance exams (if needed), past grades and predicted grades, reference and etc). These are all judged equally, and Cambridge actually pay less attention to GCSE grades and focus more on predicted grades and marks achieved.

Thank you so much, you've made my day. (My parents keep telling me my grades are pretty bad so this means a lot!) Do you not think my sciences grades will let me down though? I will try my absolute best in the entrance exam etc. Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tkt12345
Their website says they dont have gcse requirements but most of the students who apply have 4-5 grade 7s and above. Also for the architecture course, it mentions art is beneficial, so your predicted grade and the fact you're taking at alevel is really good. Worth checking out what their website says for your course. But id say get loads of experience asap as ive been putting off getting work experience and now have none and probably wont be able to get any for my uni application due to the virus. Good luck

Thank you so much! I'll get on looking for work experience asap. On the website it says maths, art and an essay subject for a level is best.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Potterhead358
Thank you so much, you've made my day. (My parents keep telling me my grades are pretty bad so this means a lot!) Do you not think my sciences grades will let me down though? I will try my absolute best in the entrance exam etc. Thank you

Although the science grades are lower than the average Cambridge GCSE grades all your other grades are amazing so I think they'll realise that you're a strong candidate in that department. Also, you're applying to a non science related degree so i think they'll be more interested in the grades that reflect your future course.

Its still very early days so if you work hard during a levels, get good predicted grades and work on the rest of your application you've got a great chance. If you're interested in seeing what Cambridge is like I'd recommend the cambridge shadowing scheme and the cambridge sutton trust summer school (their applications will open later this year but they're good things to keep an eye on!).
Yes you stand a chance
Physics- 5
Chem- 5
Bio-5
Maths- 8/9
Eng. Lit.- 8
Eng. Lang.- 8
R.S.- 9
Art- 9
Drama- 9
Spanish- 7/8
I'm going to take Maths, Art, RS (Philosophy and Ethics) for a-level. All my teachers think I'll do very well in these subjects at a-level. I'm also going to do an EPQ. I have a REAL passion for architecture too.
In terms of my GCSE grades do I even have a shot at being able to get into Cambridge?

Cambridge will pretty much look over your GCSE grades if you have personality during the interview and a ton of experience
I've looked on the website and it said yes
Original post by marie12376987
Although the science grades are lower than the average Cambridge GCSE grades all your other grades are amazing so I think they'll realise that you're a strong candidate in that department. Also, you're applying to a non science related degree so i think they'll be more interested in the grades that reflect your future course.

Its still very early days so if you work hard during a levels, get good predicted grades and work on the rest of your application you've got a great chance. If you're interested in seeing what Cambridge is like I'd recommend the cambridge shadowing scheme and the cambridge sutton trust summer school (their applications will open later this year but they're good things to keep an eye on!).

Okay, I'll try my absolute best and work as hard as I can. I'll also have a look at these summer schools thank you.
Original post by loonarmy
Cambridge will pretty much look over your GCSE grades if you have personality during the interview and a ton of experience

Okay, I'll start looking at work experience possibilities thank you.
Okay, I'll start looking at work experience possibilities thank you.

Definitely try summer programmes at various unis too. Oxford have a programme called UNIQ (which is free). There are other summer programmes for next year for free too!
Physics- 5
Chem- 5
Bio-5
Maths- 8/9
Eng. Lit.- 8
Eng. Lang.- 8
R.S.- 9
Art- 9
Drama- 9
Spanish- 7/8

My sister has an offer for architecture at Cambridge and she wasn't even going to apply. She has similar grades. I would say go for it and take a chance!
Are you any good at physics?
Physics- 5
Chem- 5
Bio-5
Maths- 8/9
Eng. Lit.- 8
Eng. Lang.- 8
R.S.- 9
Art- 9
Drama- 9
Spanish- 7/8

My uncle teaches Architecture at a uni and he says the first thing he looks at is the Art grades and portfolio. You got great grades in that so I'm pretty sure you've got a shot.
The thing your teacher said about art is true but i feel like they'd want a "mathsy" subject too tbh. What are you thinking of taking for a-level?
Original post by lirjonker
My uncle teaches Architecture at a uni and he says the first thing he looks at is the Art grades and portfolio. You got great grades in that so I'm pretty sure you've got a shot.

Hope so, thank you
Original post by loonarmy

This isn't correct. Personality and 'tons of experience' are fairly irrelevant factors for a Cambridge interview. Academic curiosity, attainment and teachability are the key factors.
Original post by Reality Check
This isn't correct. Personality and 'tons of experience' are fairly irrelevant factors for a Cambridge interview. Academic curiosity, attainment and teachability are the key factors.

I am extremely fascinated and always trying to learn as much as i can when it comes to architecture, but do you think my gcse grades will hinder my chances at getting a place at Cambridge?
do you think my gcse grades will hinder my chances at getting a place at Cambridge?

Please get some perspective on this. Suggesting that predicted grades of four 9s and three 8s are 'NOT great' is really rather silly, and makes you sound a bit ridiculous, if I'm going to be honest with you. You must know that these sorts of grades put you in the highest level of attainment, when considering the GCSE cohort as a UK whole.

These GCSEs, were you to attain these results, are fine. The important next step would be to ensure you take the right A levels and get A*AA (preferably A*A*A) in them.

Quick Reply

Latest