The Student Room Group

Do you recommend studying in Europe?

So I really do not want to go to a UK university (I'm in Year 12), because they are very expensive, I hate the UK to put it simply, and I cannot imagine staying here for another 4 years of my life.

I get good grades and I am aiming for As and A*s in my A-Levels next year. Also, I have a French passport as well as a British one, so the Brexit barrier is not an issue for me. I am also fluent in French and therefore I am a good linguist (not wanting to brag), and I got a 9 at Spanish GCSE (didn't pick it for A Level though).

Basically, I would like to know what you all recommend. Which European country should I study in, if I want to study law or journalism? Which is more affordable? Any universities in particular?

Sorry, this is a really broad question, but thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Uk Universities are the best Universities. What do you mean the UK universities are very expensive? Are you not eligable for tuition loans?
Reply 2
Original post by Darkiorra
Uk Universities are the best Universities. What do you mean the UK universities are very expensive? Are you not eligable for tuition loans?

I could get a student loan, but I just don't want to start off my working life in debt. I don't have a lot of money as it is, without being 21K in debt when I start my first job. And before you say, I know that you pay it off so that you can barely tell the difference each month, but I'd rather not have to be in debt anyway!

Also, I agree that UK universities are certainly the best education wise, and considering I am English and speak it natively, but I really do not want to study in the UK. The atmosphere in this country is awful, it's dirty, never nice weather, people are horrible, the list could go on...
Original post by Anonymous
I could get a student loan, but I just don't want to start off my working life in debt. I don't have a lot of money as it is, without being 21K in debt when I start my first job. And before you say, I know that you pay it off so that you can barely tell the difference each month, but I'd rather not have to be in debt anyway!

Also, I agree that UK universities are certainly the best education wise, and considering I am English and speak it natively, but I really do not want to study in the UK. The atmosphere in this country is awful, it's dirty, never nice weather, people are horrible, the list could go on...

About the people and atmosphere it depends on where in the UK you live. About the debt, you said you can barely tell the difference which is true and the UK universities are the best so there shouldnt be a reason why not to study here because the debt is like nothing even if you don't wanna be in a debt there no reason not to be because it ain't gonna change anything in the future... I would say ur better off getting a degree in here and then maybe move somewhere else and work there because UK degrees are highly valuable
Reply 4
About the people and atmosphere it depends on where in the UK you live. About the debt, you said you can barely tell the difference which is true and the UK universities are the best so there shouldnt be a reason why not to study here because the debt is like nothing even if you don't wanna be in a debt there no reason not to be because it ain't gonna change anything in the future... I would say ur better off getting a degree in here and then maybe move somewhere else and work there because UK degrees are highly valuable

I know England well, I've lived here for 17 years. The people vary across the country, but I don't like the aesthetic or the categories everyone fits into.
I love Europe, countries like Italy, France, Northern Spain etc. are the most beautiful countries in the World and I feel truly at peace there.
There is nothing for me in the UK. I'm already depressed, and I know that if I continue to live here it will become much more severe.
I appreciate you trying to change my mind, so thank you, but I made up my mind about studying in Europe a while ago.
I think I phrased the question incorrectly, I mean more like "What is the best country to study in Europe and why" rather than should I study in UK or Europe
I know England well, I've lived here for 17 years. The people vary across the country, but I don't like the aesthetic or the categories everyone fits into.
I love Europe, countries like Italy, France, Northern Spain etc. are the most beautiful countries in the World and I feel truly at peace there.
There is nothing for me in the UK. I'm already depressed, and I know that if I continue to live here it will become much more severe.
I appreciate you trying to change my mind, so thank you, but I made up my mind about studying in Europe a while ago.
I think I phrased the question incorrectly, I mean more like "What is the best country to study in Europe and why" rather than should I study in UK or Europe

I cant really help you then because I don't know much about other counties in EU when it comes to education so sorry about that but good luck with everything
Reply 6
I cant really help you then because I don't know much about other counties in EU when it comes to education so sorry about that but good luck with everything

thank you anyway :smile:
Spain might still be open, Swiss are closed, France is complicated...

I'm applying for Sweden Round Two, EU student. (taught in English) (free)
and I have received an offer through studieLink for nederlands Universities (taught in English) (£3K)

some English universities are excellent value for money (about 20 of the 100's)
but some might be about to disappear - due pandemia meeting the academia inflated rector salaries
Reply 8
Original post by LuigiMario
Spain might still be open, Swiss are closed, France is complicated...

I'm applying for Sweden Round Two, EU student. (taught in English) (free)
and I have received an offer through studieLink for nederlands Universities (taught in English) (£3K)

some English universities are excellent value for money (about 20 of the 100's)
but some might be about to disappear - due pandemia meeting the academia inflated rector salaries

Thank you, your course in Sweden sounds amazing! May I ask where you're from originally?
Also I am in Year 12 so I will be applying to university next year not this one :smile:
Do you know a lot about the system?
from UK originally, went to school in Italy

There are “study abroad in English” websites, just don’t pay for any info - it’s all available for free somewhere on the interwebs, and you have enough time to read widely.

Most EU universities require you to apply early, (for 2021 it might be Jan/Feb 2021) and allow you entrance with any school certificate pass ( but then often have a high loss rate, with stiff exams in year one ) so work as hard as you can, enjoy reading widely.
Yea! I'm mean't to be studying in the Netherlands. It's great cycling everywhere. You get plenty of opportunities to learn Dutch. The Dutch are taught English from the age of 10. The Dutch like it if you try to speak Dutch. The under 40s are most fluent in English.
Original post by LuigiMario
from UK originally, went to school in Italy

There are “study abroad in English” websites, just don’t pay for any info - it’s all available for free somewhere on the interwebs, and you have enough time to read widely.

Most EU universities require you to apply early, (for 2021 it might be Jan/Feb 2021) and allow you entrance with any school certificate pass ( but then often have a high loss rate, with stiff exams in year one ) so work as hard as you can, enjoy reading widely.

Great thank you!
Hi,

I feel you so much! I got accepted in top universities in UK, but it's clear that I won't be able to attend it. I do not have any financial assistance and can't really afford. That's why I applied to other European countries and let's see what they reply with, my application decision is pending for them.

Can you let me know your major? I can reply well according to that and I will be grateful to help, because I needed a lot of help but I had to do it all by myself so I learnt a lot(tons any it). So, I think I can genuinely help you.

Cheers!!
Original post by neonpink
Hi,

I feel you so much! I got accepted in top universities in UK, but it's clear that I won't be able to attend it. I do not have any financial assistance and can't really afford. That's why I applied to other European countries and let's see what they reply with, my application decision is pending for them.

Can you let me know your major? I can reply well according to that and I will be grateful to help, because I needed a lot of help but I had to do it all by myself so I learnt a lot(tons any it). So, I think I can genuinely help you.

Cheers!!

Hi, thank you so much for the lovely reply!

I am looking to study a Bachelor/undergraduate degree in Law. I am also open to studying political science.

Which European universities did you apply to, by the way? (I wish you the best of luck for your application!)

Thank you :smile:
Hi, thank you so much for the lovely reply!

I am looking to study a Bachelor/undergraduate degree in Law. I am also open to studying political science.

Which European universities did you apply to, by the way? (I wish you the best of luck for your application!)

Thank you :smile:

Hey,

Well, for law I will strongly suggest Leiden Law school in Netherlands, it's cheaper compared to UK and you might get EU benefits too in scholarships/financial assistance. (I read on internet, they make u read a lot, but that's good I guess)

If you think about international in case, University of Melbourne, US and Australia should work too. They give financial assistance, they are top universities in the world for law aren't aesthetic like UK😂😂(no offense).

I have heard political science in University of Amsterdam is quite good but it's better if you research about it too.

Also, Sorbonee University of Paris also has some top ranks in law, considering you know french. I don't know a lot about it as I didn't try to read a lot about it as it didn't offer bachelor in my major.

My side advice: while considering for law school, choose a school with strong networking, helps in law career.
youre already in europe, study anywhere in the uk lmao
It is probably a bit more difficult since we sadly left the EU. I think you ought to consider somewhere where you speak some of the local language.
Original post by neonpink
Hey,

Well, for law I will strongly suggest Leiden Law school in Netherlands, it's cheaper compared to UK and you might get EU benefits too in scholarships/financial assistance. (I read on internet, they make u read a lot, but that's good I guess)

If you think about international in case, University of Melbourne, US and Australia should work too. They give financial assistance, they are top universities in the world for law aren't aesthetic like UK😂😂(no offense).

I have heard political science in University of Amsterdam is quite good but it's better if you research about it too.

Also, Sorbonee University of Paris also has some top ranks in law, considering you know french. I don't know a lot about it as I didn't try to read a lot about it as it didn't offer bachelor in my major.

My side advice: while considering for law school, choose a school with strong networking, helps in law career.

Hi,
Thank you so much, I will do some research into all these universities! This was so helpful!
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by barnetlad
It is probably a bit more difficult since we sadly left the EU. I think you ought to consider somewhere where you speak some of the local language.

I'm very fortunate to have an EU passport, so I can study anywhere in Europe (as long as they offer courses in French or English of course). But yes, I agree, I would definitely not want to learn a new language in under a year for university :eek:
Original post by Toscana
youre already in europe, study anywhere in the uk lmao

I mean, we've left Europe. And as I've already explained, I don't want to study in the UK; the point of the point isn't for you to undermine my choice..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending