The Student Room Group

Should capital punishment be reinstated in the UK?

There has been a spike in crime and as a result, a lack in convictions by the Crown Prosecution Service, meaning there are more criminals walking freely than ever. The age old question about capital punishment and its effects on crime have come into question in recent years.

What are your guys thoughts on bringing back the death penalty?

[Try to be respectful to one another and if religion gets thrown into the mix as it’s usually does on TSR please be nice🙂]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PakScarz
There has been a spike in crime and as a result, a lack in convictions by the Crown Prosecution Service, meaning there are more criminals walking freely than ever. The age old question about capital punishment and its effects on crime have come into question in recent years.

[Try to be respectful to one another and if religion gets thrown into the mix as it’s usually does on TSR please be nice🙂]

No, it's barbaric, amounting to State sponsored murder. There are also unsafe convictions - try compensating a dead person :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
No, it's barbaric, amounting to State sponsored murder. There are also unsafe convictions - try compensating a dead person :frown:

What would be your response to the barbarism that is taking place on the streets of the UK as a daily occurrence and people not being deterred by a prison sentence?
Reply 3

Or, you could be less lazy and refer to this recent thread that's still in the top 10 on this subforum and helpfully even comes with a poll; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6473720

If that was too much effort, you could have searched for any of the 20,000 other threads this place has on the exact same topic.
What would be your response to the barbarism that is taking place on the streets of the UK as a daily occurrence and people not being deterred by a prison sentence?

We shouldn't stoop to their level.
Reply 5
Oh, and to these...
There has been a spike in crime

What would be your response to the barbarism that is taking place on the streets of the UK as a daily occurrence

I'd say "prove it", because statistics says otherwise;
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/15/in-uk-falls-sharply-since-start-of-coronavirus-lockdown
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Or, you could be less lazy and refer to this recent thread that's still in the top 10 on this subforum and helpfully even comes with a poll; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6473720

If that was too much effort, you could have searched for any of the 20,000 other threads this place has on the exact same topic.

I’m new to this platform. I don’t see why people have to be so hostile to people who aren’t knowledgeable about TSR, it’s just plain rude. yOu cOuLd hAvE bEeN lEsS lAzY aNd jUsT eXplAiNeD instead of subtly being rude.
Reply 7
I’m new to this platform. I don’t see why people have to be so hostile to people who aren’t knowledgeable about TSR, it’s just plain rude. yOu cOuLd hAvE bEeN lEsS lAzY aNd jUsT eXplAiNeD instead of subtly being rude.

You've made 80 posts in a day. That's more than enough to learn how this place works.
Reply 8

There were 43,516 knife crime offences in the 12 months ending March 2019.

This is an 80% increase from the low-point in the year ending March 2014, when there were 23,945 offences - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-42749089
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
You've made 80 posts in a day. That's more than enough to learn how this place works.

It’s really not. Posting could be giving advice to people, not exploring the depths of this platform in detail. Also I’m using my iPhone so the layout is different to that of a computer as I have seen. You can’t acclimate yourself to a platform instantaneously and when you don’t be called out for it is just absurd and childish.
There were 43,516 knife crime offences in the 12 months ending March 2019.

This is an 80% increase from the low-point in the year ending March 2014, when there were 23,945 offences - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-42749089

You've been talking about all crime, not just knife crime.
Prove that all crime is spiking.

And are you really suggesting that, for example, a mugging conducted with the threat of being stabbed is worthy of death?
Reply 11
Voluntary death penalties. I will not say more here I can't be bothered I did so a while back.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
You've been talking about all crime, not just knife crime.
Prove that all crime is spiking.

And are you really suggesting that, for example, a mugging conducted with the threat of being stabbed is worthy of death?

I was just supporting my statement with those figures. And obviously crimes have decreased immediately because of the lockdown, most crimes are going unreported because there’s nobody on the streets and because people aren’t leaving their homes. I was referring to prior to lockdown. And I haven’t suggested in any way whatsoever the death penalty should be a result of a mugging. Just because I brought up knife crime doesn’t mean I suggested they should receive the death penalty, clearly the post (from my perspective) was to create an informative discussion and not an adversarial one. I don’t take a stance on this discussion.
Reply 13
@Drewski I think a seasoned TSR veteran like you has a lot more better things to do than grill a newby. If not you can resume.
And stoop to the disgusting levels of societies that have sharia law? No thank you, not happening.
Reply 15
Original post by randomsheep11
And stoop to the disgusting levels of societies that have sharia law? No thank you, not happening.

Not all societies have Sharia law. Multiple states in the USA, Japan and China still have the death penalty.
Reply 16

People arent deterred by the death penalty either...
Not all societies have Sharia law. Multiple states in the USA, Japan and China still have the death penalty.

What are crime rates like within the US?
Do deterrents work? Or rather between life in prison and death, which is the greater deterant?
@Drewski I think a seasoned TSR veteran like you has a lot more better things to do than grill a newby. If not you can resume.

You posted a statement and have yet to prove it, but you're acting like you're above reproach. Why?
Reply 19
Original post by randomsheep11

What does sharia have to do with this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending