The Student Room Group

Arm really hurts after blood test?

I've just been for a blood test a little less than an hour ago. My veins are very deep and the nurse finds it difficult to get blood out of me every time I go, they had to try twice in both arms with both butterfly and adult needles. After every blood test I have my arms hurt so bad I struggle to lift them or hold anything even like a cup of tea. Any advice on how to stop them hurting so much? I can't even drive to college rn because its very sharp and painful when I move them and my shoulders ache too. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zozaaaa
I've just been for a blood test a little less than an hour ago. My veins are very deep and the nurse finds it difficult to get blood out of me every time I go, they had to try twice in both arms with both butterfly and adult needles. After every blood test I have my arms hurt so bad I struggle to lift them or hold anything even like a cup of tea. Any advice on how to stop them hurting so much? I can't even drive to college rn because its very sharp and painful when I move them and my shoulders ache too. Thanks.

It's coz you go tense when the needle goes in, so that makes it hurt much more.
Next time, just relax!
Reply 2
I would suggest you avoid any heavy lifting or excessive use of your arms. But do make sure to keep moving them in moderation. It's normally for your arms to bruise and hurt after any form of blood withdrawal.
I once went to donate blood and the nurse who was taking it inserted the needle wrong, and it didn't hit the vein correctly and it hurt for some time. Worst thing was that, instead of removing the needle, she attempted to correct it while moving it while still inside my arm.
Original post by Zozaaaa

As soon as the nurse removes the needle, press down on the patch of skin as hard as you can to reduce bruising.

To reduce aching, take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

There's not really anything else you can do, given that it sounds like you're someone who has to have a lot of blood tests.
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
It's coz you go tense when the needle goes in, so that makes it hurt much more.
Next time, just relax!

Sounds about right, Do as @David B said :biggrin:

Original post by David B
I would suggest you avoid any heavy lifting or excessive use of your arms. But do make sure to keep moving them in moderation. It's normally for your arms to bruise and hurt after any form of blood withdrawal.
I once went to donate blood and the nurse who was taking it inserted the needle wrong, and it didn't hit the vein correctly and it hurt for some time. Worst thing was that, instead of removing the needle, she attempted to correct it while moving it while still inside my arm.

*David is owed a rep from me, but they have to wait*
Original post by LeapingLucy
As soon as the nurse removes the needle, press down on the patch of skin as hard as you can to reduce bruising.

To reduce aching, take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

There's not really anything else you can do, given that it sounds like you're someone who has to have a lot of blood tests.

@Zozaaaa needs to relax during a blood test.
@JD2015AS agrees with me on this, right?
@Zozaaaa needs to relax during a blood test.
@JD2015AS agrees with me on this, right?

Yes,
Yes,
And is this true?
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for the help, it's just difficult because I'm a big needlephobe. The nurse asks me to tense my arm when inserting the needle as its the only way my veins will pop up really, thankfully I only end up having one every year or so but it's a real pain afterwards because I can hardly even lift a drink to my mouth
Original post by JD2015AS
Yes,
Yes,
And is this true?

Yes.
I've had 23 blood tests done, I've relaxed in all of them, and my arms have operated normally afterwards
Yes.
I've had 23 blood tests done, I've relaxed in all of them, and my arms have operated normally afterwards

I meant in the order of the post you quoted -_-

And yes don't tense
Original post by JD2015AS
I meant in the order of the post you quoted -_-

And yes don't tense

oh
I would recommend you prevent any hard work or extreme use of your hands. But do make sure to move them moderately. It's normally for your hands to bruise and harm after any type of blood vessels drawback.
I have had one now and more than 50 blood test so \_(-_-)_/.....
I am having the same problem. I have no bruising but my arm really hurts. I would also like to know why this is happening.
question for how long do you feel the pain afterwards? I had blood test with big needle 10 days later i still feel the pain.

I can not lift weights or do anything with my left arm. I'm really stressed :/
Nothing is numb is just pain when i lift weights or straight and bend my arm
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bmxmomx1
I am having the same problem. I have no bruising but my arm really hurts. I would also like to know why this is happening.

Is your arm better now? Because I have the same issue 10 days later :/
Original post by brutalspic
Is your arm better now? Because I have the same issue 10 days later :/

It’s normal, but if it’s 10 days later I would go to the doctors. For me after my measles tests it only hurt a few hours and then went away
I’m having the same issue. My muscles ache from my biceps, to my shoulder and neck. It is so bad I have trouble sleeping at night. I also feel aching in my hand from the base of my pinky to my wrist, very abnormal, making me worried that a nerve got hit or injured.I had a simple blood test done in my left arm two days ago. It didn’t really hurt more than a prick. I’ve had plenty of blood tests. The difference was, she asked me to clench my fist to find my vein. It seems she got it on the first try. There was no excessive bleeding afterward, and no excessive bruising, just a slight yellowish bruise. I wish I would have just relaxed and told her “no” but I complied, not thinking much of it.I can’t lift my arm.
I have the exactly same issue. Did the pain ever go away? This is the last time I ever make a fist when getting blood drawn. I’m so upset that it hurts. I’ve never had this happen before.
Original post by Pebbles0789
I have the exactly same issue. Did the pain ever go away? This is the last time I ever make a fist when getting blood drawn. I’m so upset that it hurts. I’ve never had this happen before.

This pain is interesting. I have had lots of blood tests due to having a chronic medical condition. I have really small veins that move around a lot once the needle goes in. I have never experienced this pain with a blood test but I have when I had vaccinations which inject into muscle (that really hurt and I couldn't lie on either side of my arms for 2 weeks after). Does the phlebotomist have a tough time trying to find your veins? If so, I have a few tips that can help so you don't have to make a fist if needed.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest