The Student Room Group

Likely good of getting into product design course

Hi, so I want to study product design and either Loughborough or Brunel, and I’m currently in year 12 doing a level DT maths and chemistry. The requirements are ABB. in my latest report, I got an A in DT, a C in chemistry, but an E in maths. Although I’m in a pretty good place with the other two, I’m really struggling with maths, and quite frankly hate it and wish I never did it.

I’m really worried that I won’t be given a chance regardless of my portfolio or other grades. I feel like I’ll be able to get an A in DT and a B in chemistry, though I’m hoping that if I push myself, I can one up those. If I made a really good portfolio, and my other two subjects were really good, would they overlook that maths? Say for my predicted grades I got AAC? Is there any hope or would they likely just brush me off to the side for someone with a better portfolio and better grades
@CoolCavy do you have any advice for OP?
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
Hi, so I want to study product design and either Loughborough or Brunel, and I’m currently in year 12 doing a level DT maths and chemistry. The requirements are ABB. in my latest report, I got an A in DT, a C in chemistry, but an E in maths. Although I’m in a pretty good place with the other two, I’m really struggling with maths, and quite frankly hate it and wish I never did it.

I’m really worried that I won’t be given a chance regardless of my portfolio or other grades. I feel like I’ll be able to get an A in DT and a B in chemistry, though I’m hoping that if I push myself, I can one up those. If I made a really good portfolio, and my other two subjects were really good, would they overlook that maths? Say for my predicted grades I got AAC? Is there any hope or would they likely just brush me off to the side for someone with a better portfolio and better grades

Hey :smile:
I can't talk for the specific unis (you would be best of calling or emailing them for advice) however, the majority of creative courses place a strong emphasis on the portfolio. I think it also depends on what you have applied for, if you go for something like Beng industrial design then in all likelihood they will place a greater emphasis on the maths grade than BA courses which would lean more towards the portfolio. If a course places a high amount of importance on the maths grade it is likely that is because the course includes a high element of maths, therefore you need to ask yourself would you want to do that course if you hate a-level maths?
I currently study BA product design and i only have a GCSE maths qualification, there isnt much maths in it (there is some but nothing that cant be solved with a calculator). Other people in my year do BSC and the main difference is the emphasis placed on differnet parts. For instance BA (bachelor of arts) has more of a focus on aesthetics, culture, market trends whereas BSC (bachelor of science) focuses more on material properties, stress tests, function. Both have overlap of each other since you need an element of all of those components to create a successful product.
Given your strength with chemistry you sound like you would be best suited to bsc (feel free to disagree :smile:), there are plenty of bsc (and ba) courses with lower entry requirements. A vast amount of design students are actually dyslexic (majority of the people of my course are) and are better at practical work rather than exams, the entry requirements for design reflect this and it's quite hard to find courses that want really high requirements. The majority of places offer interviews and then go mainly off of portfolio.
My advice to you would be try hard to increase your maths grade, work hard on your portfolio (make sure there are bits in there that are tailored to each uni) and have some choices that have lower entry requirements :smile:
Original post by Himynameisdaisy

Hi @Himynameisdaisy,

I would recommend speaking to our admissions team within the department you are hoping to join for more information and advice.

One thing I can say about Loughborough is that we do look at the individual as a whole, so if you have a great portfolio and personal statement to support your application this may help. Plus any extracurricular activities you may bring to the university.

Any further questions feel free to drop us a PM.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest