The Student Room Group

Girlfriend got me naked in front of her friends

Scroll to see replies

Is it one of these:
https://www.thermae.com/fr/aquarius-thermae-grimbergen
or
https://www.thermae.com/en/moenia-thermae-boetfort

Seems these would have been OK for the OP given they have a swimsuit area.
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous
The title makes the situation worse than it sounds, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable.

My girlfriend is Dutch and we recently went over to the Netherlands to meet her parents and friends. The trip on the whole was great except for one afternoon when my gf suggested we went to a Sauna and meet some of her friends. I was obviously totally up for that and met her friends at the the sauna. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realise until we got to the changing rooms, that at Dutch Sauna's everyone gets their kit off (I ignorantly thought this only happened in the Scandinavian countries).

All of a sudden my girlfriend and two of her friends I had only just met her completely in the buff. I felt so awkward, but didn't want to cause an issue with my gf so got undressed too. The four of us then spent an hour in the sauna. While nothing "bad" happened, I just felt so self-conscious about myself rather than relaxing. For example, all of them were 'smooth' in the downstairs department, unlike my myself and I would be thinking "Oh god, what must they think of me!"

I know most people will think I'm just being silly, but I really found the whole experience awkward. We're back in the UK, so we won't be going to any type of saunas like that for a while, so I don't know whether I should just keep it to myself or mention it to her.

Just forget it and also learn to like yourself. You don't need to look like everyone else!
I think I will.
Original post by barnetlad
I think I will.

It won't be for a long time, or any other sauna.
Original post by barnetlad
Is it one of these:
https://www.thermae.com/fr/aquarius-thermae-grimbergen
or
https://www.thermae.com/en/moenia-thermae-boetfort

Seems these would have been OK for the OP given they have a swimsuit area.

Haha! Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll be popping into another sauna for a while. :smile:
Haha! Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think I'll be popping into another sauna for a while. :smile:

Once the lockdown is over and places like saunas are allowed to open and operate as they did before, when you're next over in Holland, make a point of trying to adopt your g/f's cultural attitude, even if you only do it once to begin with.
As uncomfortable as you might be initially, it's good to challenge ourselves to do things that we're not exactly comfortable with but actually do us no harm.
You weren’t forced, you willingly got naked. If you didn’t like it you could’ve just said you’re not ok with it. You haven’t even talked about it to your gf. It’s entirely your fault you ended up in a situation like that, YOU decided to take off your clothes. Your gf would’ve understood if you said no
Original post by Appirition
Once the lockdown is over and places like saunas are allowed to open and operate as they did before, when you're next over in Holland, make a point of trying to adopt your g/f's cultural attitude, even if you only do it once to begin with.
As uncomfortable as you might be initially, it's good to challenge ourselves to do things that we're not exactly comfortable with but actually do us no harm.

The other thing with a sauna is that you can have a towel wrapped around you, or part of you, and no-one will be bothered.

It may be a while before you can go there again, especially if the 14 day quarantine idea upon return is introduced.
Original post by Lilli22
Don't be ridiculous. Be comfortable with your body. You shouldn't care what anyone else thinks - chances are you're the one sitting awake at night, worrying about this whilst they're sleeping soundly.

It's not that easy for some people, though :/
Original post by apolaroidofus
It's not that easy for some people, though :/

Yes, I felt really self-conscious about it, at the time.

Saunas are lovely and I hope when you are next in the Netherlands it will be just a normal part of a visit there.

Hopefully, having given it lots of thought, heard what others are saying on here, and talking to your g/f about it, you won't feel anything like as self-conscious in the future, and you can both go again, and properly enjoy yourself and feel relaxed next time.
Your British of course you feel self conscious and you can’t help that, maybe talk to your girlfriend and maybe she can set your worries aside
Original post by Alaska215
Your British of course you feel self conscious and you can’t help that, maybe talk to your girlfriend and maybe she can set your worries aside

I wouldn't want to get naked in front of my bf friends, I wouldn't find that acceptable
Original post by jenny200
I wouldn't want to get naked in front of my bf friends, I wouldn't find that acceptable

Well we were all girls, no way would I have got naked in front of boys! :eek3::rofl3:
Well we were all girls, no way would I have got naked in front of boys! :eek3::rofl3:

Some boys have the same fear, usually of 'excitement' to use a euphemism. In the context of a sauna where nudity is for comfort, no-one should worry.
Original post by Vinny C
You should have insisted on full evening attire and told them you were British!

Snort. This made me laugh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending