The Student Room Group

Am I good enough for Oxbridge? help

I will be going to Y12 this September and be starting my A levels very soon and I'd really appreciate it if you all could give me an honest opinion. Because of the coronavirus and the whole exams being canceled situation I'm not sure my predicted grades will be the best. well, at least not all 8's &9's but I would consider my self a hard worker for something I'd be passionate for so, Would not having all 8's and 9's damage my chances of applying to Oxbridge? Oh and I'm an international kid :smile:
It depends what grades you will have, your a levels, how well your interview went and etc. What roughly do you think will be your grades? What course?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
It depends what grades you will have, your a levels, how well your interview went and etc. What roughly do you think will be your grades? What course?

Um well, I can't say definitively of course but probably a majority of eights, a couple of nines, and 2 or 3 sevens. When it comes to courses most probably History and Politics or just History. Thank you for responding! I really appreciate it
Have you heard of Ibz Mo? He got into Cambridge despite having majority Cs Bs and Bs for GCSE. So off-course you have a chance. Plus even if you do get the grades you are predicting yourself and not the ones you initially wanted, I am sure the uni would take into account the coronavirus outbreak and how you where not exactly given the chance to show your true potential, due to the cancellation of exams. Just make sure you get the best grades possible for your A Levels and prove to them just how hard working you are! Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Have you heard of Ibz Mo? He got into Cambridge despite having majority Cs Bs and Bs for GCSE. So off-course you have a chance. Plus even if you do get the grades you are predicting yourself and not the ones you initially wanted, I am sure the uni would take into account the coronavirus outbreak and how you where not exactly given the chance to show your true potential, due to the cancellation of exams. Just make sure you get the best grades possible for your A Levels and prove to them just how hard working you are! Good luck!

Thank you so much! :smile:
It depends entirely on which of the two universities (Oxford uses GCSEs for shortlisting for all of its courses; Cambridge only considers them holistically and puts fairly little weight on them) and which course (medicine at Oxford will be expecting a much stronger GCSE profile than e.g. modern languages, and STEM subjects are often satisfied with good results in the relevant GCSEs plus a strong performance in the relevant admissions assessment). It probably won't make a difference, unless you're aiming for Oxford medicine (and if you are, and end up with "weaker" GCSEs by Oxford standards, I'd suggest just applying to Cambridge med instead).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
It depends entirely on which of the two universities (Oxford uses GCSEs for shortlisting for all of its courses; Cambridge only considers them holistically and puts fairly little weight on them) and which course (medicine at Oxford will be expecting a much stronger GCSE profile than e.g. modern languages, and STEM subjects are often satisfied with good results in the relevant GCSEs plus a strong performance in the relevant admissions assessment). It probably won't make a difference, unless you're aiming for Oxford medicine (and if you are, and end up with "weaker" GCSEs by Oxford standards, I'd suggest just applying to Cambridge med instead).

ohh well I am not really applying for medicine, If I were to apply it would probably be for a history degree. So would the same apply in that case?
Original post by Simran.ooo
ohh well I am not really applying for medicine, If I were to apply it would probably be for a history degree. So would the same apply in that case?

For Cambridge as above, they aren't very important. For Oxford they do use them to shortlist, but you won't be expected to have a full set of 8/9 grades - and good performance in the HAT may well ameliorate "weaker" GCSEs.

Yes for sure, I’ve got a place to study history of art at Cambridge, my GCSEs were terrible but I got 4 A* at. A level. Is applied to oxford but didn’t even get an interview. Cambridge is way better for sure anyway haha 😂
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
For Cambridge as above, they aren't very important. For Oxford they do use them to shortlist, but you won't be expected to have a full set of 8/9 grades - and good performance in the HAT may well ameliorate "weaker" GCSEs.

oh ok thank you so much!
Reply 10
Original post by Haggardoldkrone
Yes for sure, I’ve got a place to study history of art at Cambridge, my GCSEs were terrible but I got 4 A* at. A level. Is applied to oxford but didn’t even get an interview. Cambridge is way better for sure anyway haha 😂

Omg, that's amazing! congratulations! Oxford is missing out I guess :wink:
Omg, that's amazing! congratulations! Oxford is missing out I guess :wink:

They sure are haha 😂 but honestly go for it, I think you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and would be entirely capable of getting into either institution (just pick the right one I.e. Cambridge 😂)
Reply 12
Original post by Haggardoldkrone
They sure are haha 😂 but honestly go for it, I think you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and would be entirely capable of getting into either institution (just pick the right one I.e. Cambridge 😂)

aha hopefully. Thank you so much for your help! Good luck with your studies!
Um well, I can't say definitively of course but probably a majority of eights, a couple of nines, and 2 or 3 sevens. When it comes to courses most probably History and Politics or just History. Thank you for responding! I really appreciate it

Omg those grades are so good congrats. I think you would be able to have a chance at Oxford since they consider 8s A*. It’s probably a matter of preference now. The only course that might disadvantage you not having straight 8s and 9s would be medicine. It’s worth trying because you still have 4 choices at the end of the day.
Reply 14
Original post by PetitePanda
Omg those grades are so good congrats. I think you would be able to have a chance at Oxford since they consider 8s A*. It’s probably a matter of preference now. The only course that might disadvantage you not having straight 8s and 9s would be medicine. It’s worth trying because you still have 4 choices at the end of the day.

Ah that's good to know, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending