The Student Room Group

Steroids in raf

Recently I have been contemplating using anabolic steroids. One thing holding me back is I also want to join the airforce and will probably be having a medical examination within the foreseeable future. I was curious as to know if the raf test does anabolic steroids such as anadrol/Dianabol etc.

Scroll to see replies

Don’t take it, it makes you balder and messes up your fertility so it could mean you can’t have children. Also it’s not attractive to women to be that big and it is only useful if you want to be a bouncer or security guard.
Original post by Mustafa0605
Don’t take it, it makes you balder and messes up your fertility so it could mean you can’t have children. Also it’s not attractive to women to be that big and it is only useful if you want to be a bouncer or security guard.

If you don't know much about anabolic steroids don't comment on them. If you don't have a genetic predisposition to balding then you don't have much to worry about when taking anabolic steroids and even if you do it can be prevented by staying away from DHT derivatives and by taking a 5α-Reductase inhibitor, if necessary. Also, the loss of fertility can be completely prevented by taking Human chorionic gonadotropin hormone when on anabolic steroids.

Oddly I've never met a single roided up bouncer where people weren't laughing behind their back all the time :tongue:
Original post by Privateryan
Recently I have been contemplating using anabolic steroids. One thing holding me back is I also want to join the airforce and will probably be having a medical examination within the foreseeable future. I was curious as to know if the raf test does anabolic steroids such as anadrol/Dianabol etc.

It will come up and be seen and it's on the barring disclosure

Orals steroids such as androl and dianabol need to be used with a testosterone otherwise your results will not last some steroids last in your system longer than others so before you make your decision do the research
If you aren't gonna pin test don't bother with steroids, oral only cycles just lead to the shutting down of the hypothalamus pituitary testes axis with very minimal muscle gain.
Original post by Anonymous
If you don't know much about anabolic steroids don't comment on them. If you don't have a genetic predisposition to balding then you don't have much to worry about when taking anabolic steroids and even if you do it can be prevented by staying away from DHT derivatives and by taking a 5α-Reductase inhibitor, if necessary. Also, the loss of fertility can be completely prevented by taking Human chorionic gonadotropin hormone when on anabolic steroids.

Sure take more drugs (that probably don’t help) with side effects to reduce the side effects of another drug. According to the NHS, the side effects of using steroids for non-medicated purposes can be:

reduced sperm count
infertility
shrunken testicles
erectile dysfunction
baldness
breast development
increased risk of prostate cancer
severe acne
stomach pain
heart attack or stroke
liver or kidney problems or failure
high blood pressure (hypertension)
blood clots
fluid retention
high cholesterol

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anabolic-steroid-misuse/
Sure take more drugs (that probably don’t help) with side effects to reduce the side effects of another drug. According to the NHS, the side effects of using steroids for non-medicated purposes can be:

reduced sperm count
infertility
shrunken testicles
erectile dysfunction
baldness
breast development
increased risk of prostate cancer
severe acne
stomach pain
heart attack or stroke
liver or kidney problems or failure
high blood pressure (hypertension)
blood clots
fluid retention
high cholesterol

Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anabolic-steroid-misuse/

Your source is talking about misuse, if you misuse anything it's bad for you lol. And those drugs do help for your information, would be nice if you don't assume things.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15529357#s0035
'All three studies demonstrated that finasteride treatment led to a significant improvement in hair growth and slowing of further hair loss progression, while placebo-treated men showed significant hair loss.'
Finasteride is a 5α-Reductase inhibitor btw.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6087849/
'hCG is a safe and efficacious alternative or adjunct to TRT in men desiring to preserve fertility while treating their hypogonadism. hCG can also be used help restore spermatogenesis in men hypogonadal hypogonadism or steroid induced impairment of spermatogenesis.'
Your source is talking about misuse, if you misuse anything it's bad for you lol. And those drugs do help for your information, would be nice if you don't assume things.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022202X15529357#s0035
'All three studies demonstrated that finasteride treatment led to a significant improvement in hair growth and slowing of further hair loss progression, while placebo-treated men showed significant hair loss.'
Finasteride is a 5α-Reductase inhibitor btw.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6087849/
'hCG is a safe and efficacious alternative or adjunct to TRT in men desiring to preserve fertility while treating their hypogonadism. hCG can also be used help restore spermatogenesis in men hypogonadal hypogonadism or steroid induced impairment of spermatogenesis.'

Bro my ‘source’ is the UK National Health Service. And why are you sending me link to finasteride, a hair loss reduction medicine? In the UK, steroids have to be prescribed by a doctor to help with certain illnesses. THIS THREAD IS TALKING ABOUT MISUSING ANABOLIC STEROIDS.
Bro my ‘source’ is the UK National Health Service. And why are you sending me link to finasteride, a hair loss reduction medicine? In the UK, steroids have to be prescribed by a doctor to help with certain illnesses. THIS THREAD IS TALKING ABOUT MISUSING ANABOLIC STEROIDS.

Ur source is talking about MISUSE, if you take anabolics smartly there is no misuse. Because finasteride is a 5α-Reductase inhibitor, which I have previously mentioned.
Ur source is talking about MISUSE, if you take anabolics smartly there is no misuse. Because finasteride is a 5α-Reductase inhibitor, which I have previously mentioned.

In the UK, anabolic steroids are only legal when prescribed by a doctor to help with certain illnesses. Using them for bodybuilding is a misuse. Finasteride is a hair loss medicine which you can get a prescription from a doctor for. The OP is talking about non-prescribed steroids- illegally used for bodybuilding, which is a misuse of steroids and has many terrible side effects.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Privateryan

Don't do steroids if you want to join the RAF, or stay in the RAF if you get in. You would have to declare steroid use at interview, which would be a stopper even before you got to the medical. The urine sample at medical is for things like diabetes, but from Day One of training you can be subject to the RAF Compulsory Drug Test, and randomly at any time in your career after that; yes, they check for steroid use and yes, you'll get kicked out for using them.
In the UK, anabolic steroids are only legal when prescribed by a doctor to help with certain illnesses. Using them for bodybuilding is a misuse. Finasteride is a hair loss medicine which you can get a prescription from a doctor for. The OP is talking about non-prescribed steroids- illegally used for bodybuilding, which is a misuse of steroids and has many terrible side effects.

It seems like whatever I say doesn't change your viewpoint.
Saying anabolic steroids are dangerous is like saying painkillers are dangerous. Both can be extremely dangerous when misused and some are just straight up not good for you such as heroin and 19-norsteroids however some can be safe if done with proper knowledge.
Reply 13
you probably wont get much from this site lmao, im hoping to start a cycle soon as i want to compete, but im not sure how raf handles steroids, but i know in the army and police etc alot of ppl take steroids and get away with it
Saying anabolic steroids are dangerous is like saying painkillers are dangerous. Both can be extremely dangerous when misused [...]

Don't be so ridiculous. Everything carries risk, but it's relative risk we're talking about, not absolute risk. Cricket bats are dangerous, in the wrong hands.

Paracetamol is not comparable to anabolic steroids in terms of potential harm. Though on the 'less harmful' end of drug misuse, anabolic steroids still pose a significant risk and your pro-AS posts minimise this risk rather irresponsibly.

[Source of graph: The Lancet]

gr1.jpg
Original post by Ocault
you probably wont get much from this site lmao, im hoping to start a cycle soon as i want to compete, but im not sure how raf handles steroids, but i know in the army and police etc alot of ppl take steroids and get away with it

I think his avatar is proving your point, @StriderHort. :laugh:
To put it another way, what benefit would it be to the RAF to spend tens of thousands of pounds training someone who is more likely than the average recruit to give themselves health complications?

As per this FOI request, they absolutely do test for steroids:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/763061/10712.pdf
Original post by Reality Check
Don't be so ridiculous. Everything carries risk, but it's relative risk we're talking about, not absolute risk. Cricket bats are dangerous, in the wrong hands.

Paracetamol is not comparable to anabolic steroids in terms of potential harm. Though on the 'less harmful' end of drug misuse, anabolic steroids still pose a significant risk and your pro-AS posts minimise this risk rather irresponsibly.

gr1.jpg

I understand that everything carries risk and I'm not pro-anabolic steroids I am just spreading information.
Original post by Reality Check

gr1.jpg

Also that graph takes into account all AS which I assume includes 19-norsteroids, if there was a graph that had the risks of each separate AS, I am sure we would find some close to paracetamol in terms of risk.

Apologies for the double quote.
Personally steroids are made to look alot worse than they actually are, sure they come with side effects which some people get some don't, someone can take just test a week and get the benefits and no sides and someone else could take same amount and get acne and a whole list of side effects, i took antibiotics for acne and was put on 4 in a row and left with perm side effects yet i did a cycle and had no side effects what so ever so what does that tell you? steroids are like anything, abuse them and pay the price simple...want to abuse drugs and alcohol its the same as steroids..if you ever decide you want to start steroids then look into them deeply and pick a very basic beginner cycle, a lot of people don't and just jump on tren and orals and the whole lot and thats where disaster starts, and all steroids are detected in drug tests and if you read RAF guidelines they explain how the drug tests they use are designed and they do test for steroids. "If taken orally, steroids can show up in a urine test for up to 14 days. If injected, steroids can show up for up to 1 month. How long a drug can be detected for depends on how much is taken and which testing kit is used." now i don't know how accurate this is but its what i could find. And for people on about orals only shutting down test production all steroids do that....oral only as a beginner isn't too bad but yeah it will shut you down, personally i would recommend a test only cycle at first then if you want to add orals then add something like tbol, people sh#t talk orals like tbol but i did a tbol only cycle for a first cycle when i was 19 because its mild and it does not aromatize so basically you don't have to worry about as much, people called me an idiot but i was super happy with what i lost and gained and had 0 side effects and kept most when i came off and now i'm super happy with how i look, i have also used dbol only for a cycle but it was awful for me atleast, wouldn't recommend taking anavar by itself either, if you're set on orals only and don't care about sides then you'll want something like dbol but if you do care about sides and want clean lean gains then something like tbol but i would 100% recommend doing a test cycle first as you'll get more out of it for the price.

Don't endorse taking them and its totally up to the person what you do with your body.

Quick Reply

Latest