The Student Room Group

southampton or bristol?

Hello! i've gotten offers to the university of bristol and the university of southampton. i'm a bit confused to which university i should attend. i'm planning on studying electrical and electronics engineering. i've heard very great things about both universities and cities but i was hoping to get the point of view of students who have been or studied at one of the universities. i honestly need all the opinions i can get about both cities and the universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariammahmassani
Hello! i've gotten offers to the university of bristol and the university of southampton. i'm a bit confused to which university i should attend. i'm planning on studying electrical and electronics engineering. i've heard very great things about both universities and cities but i was hoping to get the point of view of students who have been or studied at one of the universities. i honestly need all the opinions i can get about both cities and the universities

What are the most important factors to you in a uni?
Original post by mnot
What are the most important factors to you in a uni?

Well the ranking of course is a priority, but at the same time the social life within the university and the city do play a very important role in choosing a uni. i know that bristol is ranked 49th and southampton is 97th so i would love help regarding the social life :smile:
Well the ranking of course is a priority, but at the same time the social life within the university and the city do play a very important role in choosing a uni. i know that bristol is ranked 49th and southampton is 97th so i would love help regarding the social life :smile:

Bristol & Southampton or UWE & Solent?

Ranking is irrelevant, pick some factors such as teaching quality, employability, course content, location... choose the things which are most important to you and do a side by side comparison.

Both Bristol & Southampton have ample student nightlife options! But check the student union website for sports teams/societies/activities etc.
Original post by mnot
Bristol & Southampton or UWE & Solent?

Ranking is irrelevant, pick some factors such as teaching quality, employability, course content, location... choose the things which are most important to you and do a side by side comparison.

Both Bristol & Southampton have ample student nightlife options! But check the student union website for sports teams/societies/activities etc.

bristol and southampton not uwe and solent :wink:
i really appreciate your fast replies and i will take into consideration the factors you mentioned!
just one more question if you don't mind
regarding accommodation, i've looked at the university halls and private rented accommodation outside campus; however, as a new student i don't know if i should opt for private rented accommodation considering i'm unfamiliar with the cities and know no one there.
I would go with Bristol any day.
Original post by Anonymous
I would go with Bristol any day.

Are you a student there?
Bristol has a better reputation tbh
bristol and southampton not uwe and solent :wink:
i really appreciate your fast replies and i will take into consideration the factors you mentioned!
just one more question if you don't mind
regarding accommodation, i've looked at the university halls and private rented accommodation outside campus; however, as a new student i don't know if i should opt for private rented accommodation considering i'm unfamiliar with the cities and know no one there.

Hmm sorry, when you said 49th & 97th I assumed it was them (im now guessing your looking at global rankings rather then National rankings...) either way I really wouldn't pay attention to that. Although Bristol is the more prestigious uni.

Well accommodation is really a preference thing, "halls" is kind of an experience and you basically get put in a flat with lots of other freshers. Private accommodation is nicer overall, more space, nicer rooms, bigger kitchen, and you can make it your own. Most people do halls year 1, then live in a house years 2,3,4 but its really just what you want, id probably recommend trying halls once for the experience unless you'd be uncomftable in it .
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mnot
Hmm sorry, when you said 49th & 97th I assumed it was them (im now guessing your looking at global rankings rather then National rankings...) either way I really wouldn't pay attention to that. Although Bristol is the more prestigious uni.

Well accommodation is really a preference thing, "halls" is kind of an experience and you basically get put in a flat with lots of other freshers. Private accommodation is nicer overall, more space, nicer rooms, bigger kitchen, and you can make it your own. Most people do halls year 1, then live in a house years 2,3,4 but its really your what you want.

Honestly i've found private rented accommodation much nicer which is why i'm considering it, but is it harder to socialize if i don't live in university halls as a fresher?
Honestly i've found private rented accommodation much nicer which is why i'm considering it, but is it harder to socialize if i don't live in university halls as a fresher?

Initially it probably will be slightly harder as halls gives you a ready made group of people to go out with, but if your proactive getting on FB and chatting to people and going to events it will be no problem. In freshers week everyones keen to make friends so as long as you make a moderate effort it will be fine, maybe just getting a group chat and ask a new course mate or something for an invite to their hall for a night out or something.
Original post by mnot
Initially it probably will be slightly harder as halls gives you a ready made group of people to go out with, but if your proactive getting on FB and chatting to people and going to events it will be no problem. In freshers week everyones keen to make friends so as long as you make a moderate effort it will be fine, maybe just getting a group chat and ask a new course mate or something for an invite to their hall for a night out or something.

Hmm alright i'll keep that in mind.
Do you have any idea what the cities are like? Which is more student friendly?
Hmm alright i'll keep that in mind.
Do you have any idea what the cities are like? Which is more student friendly?

Ive visited students in both on nights out but never attended either uni. I think both are excellent choices, both seem very student friendly, you just need to pick what's important to you.
Heard Bristol's better but both are good tbf
Original post by mnot
Ive visited students in both on nights out but never attended either uni. I think both are excellent choices, both seem very student friendly, you just need to pick what's important to you.

Out of general curiosity, nothing to do with applying there, but what did you feel the difference is in the vibe of both cities?
Original post by mnot

I know this is a decision i should make on my own but based on your knowledge what university would you recommend?
Original post by 2cool4$kool
Out of general curiosity, nothing to do with applying there, but what did you feel the difference is in the vibe of both cities?

I literally visited both for like a weekend at a time and just went got drunk with other students, wouldn't say I was their long enough to compare life deeply.

I thought Southampton seemed more fun, they both have all the standard clubs but I remember Southampton has this little strip or 4 or 5 mini clubs/bars that looked very studenty (I also liked their campus their).

TBH with uni in general, I think all uni's attract a wide variety of people and the experience is more what you make it. Both cities have everything you need from a city so just go and do what you enjoy.
I know this is a decision i should make on my own but based on your knowledge what university would you recommend?

If you are only considering a technical career in engineering, then Southampton.
If you want to keep the door open to finance/consulting then Bristol (bear in mind these jobs are still extremely competitive so would still be very hard to get into even at Bristol).
Original post by mnot
If you are only considering a technical career in engineering, then Southampton.
If you want to keep the door open to finance/consulting then Bristol (bear in mind these jobs are still extremely competitive so would still be very hard to get into even at Bristol).

thank you so much for your help!
Original post by mnot
I literally visited both for like a weekend at a time and just went got drunk with other students, wouldn't say I was their long enough to compare life deeply.

I thought Southampton seemed more fun, they both have all the standard clubs but I remember Southampton has this little strip or 4 or 5 mini clubs/bars that looked very studenty (I also liked their campus their).

TBH with uni in general, I think all uni's attract a wide variety of people and the experience is more what you make it. Both cities have everything you need from a city so just go and do what you enjoy.

Alright. Thanks for your answer! It's interesting to know people's perspective about things

Quick Reply

Latest