The Student Room Group

I want to go to college but my parents want me to go to 6th form

I want to go to college, but my parents want me to go to 6th form in my sh%tty school.
I'm wanting to learn computing in college. My school also does computing, but it's absolutely horrible! They never teach us anything, so I've had to teach myself everything I know.
My parents believe that my school is really good because it's a private school, but it's really, really bad.
In most of my computing lessons, I just use microsoft word to do the same work I was doing in year 7 in my last (public) school

Does any of you know if they can force me to go to 6th form or is it my choice?
Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm in year 10 btw
Reply 2
Do you have in mind what future career you want when you are older? If not do not worry I am at university and still undecided. Although now is a great time to be thinking about the qualifications you need to get there. I attended my school six form To do My A levels and I believe that this was the best option if you are wanting to do A levels I would stick with Sixth form if you want to do a certain course college is the way.

But they can not force you and this is totally your choice
Reply 3
Original post by Hughesma
Do you have in mind what future career you want when you are older? If not do not worry I am at university and still undecided. Although now is a great time to be thinking about the qualifications you need to get there. I attended my school six form To do My A levels and I believe that this was the best option if you are wanting to do A levels I would stick with Sixth form if you want to do a certain course college is the way.

But they can not force you and this is totally your choice

I haven't thought about that yet. Thanks for the advice.
Do you know if they can sign me up to go to 6th form without my permission? Knowing them, they'll probably try that without even letting me know
Original post by Noxity
Do you know if they can sign me up to go to 6th form without my permission? Knowing them, they'll probably try that without even letting me know

they could use your email ( if they know it) and sign you up
but if youre an internal student you should only need the grades to get back into your school

you can still apply to other places, i applied to 11 other schools other than my own sixth
Reply 5
Original post by Noxity

Ist not impossible but normally six form applications are done internally within school. And even if they did you would just explain to your school that you don't want to attend six form. This is your choice no one else's although by mid-year 11 you may change your mind so I would not totally cut off six form altogether just yet Good luck !.
Reply 6
Original post by Hughesma
Ist not impossible but normally six form applications are done internally within school. And even if they did you would just explain to your school that you don't want to attend six form. This is your choice no one else's although by mid-year 11 you may change your mind so I would not totally cut off six form altogether just yet Good luck !.

You don't know how bad my school is. There's mould all over the windows and teachers don't know what they're teaching.
Thanks though
Reply 7
Original post by lemon curd
they could use your email ( if they know it) and sign you up
but if youre an internal student you should only need the grades to get back into your school

you can still apply to other places, i applied to 11 other schools other than my own sixth

I have like a million emails, my parents won't ever guess the right one.
My parents are wanting my to stay at the same school I go to right now for 6th form.
Just praying I don't have to stay in that sh;thole any longer than I absolutely have to.
Original post by Noxity
I want to go to college, but my parents want me to go to 6th form in my sh%tty school.
I'm wanting to learn computing in college. My school also does computing, but it's absolutely horrible! They never teach us anything, so I've had to teach myself everything I know.
My parents believe that my school is really good because it's a private school, but it's really, really bad.
In most of my computing lessons, I just use microsoft word to do the same work I was doing in year 7 in my last (public) school

Thanks!!

It is completely your own choice. Try talking to them about it. Tell them why you think that it's better for you to go to college instead of 6th form.
Reply 9
Original post by mila_milchy
It is completely your own choice. Try talking to them about it. Tell them why you think that it's better for you to go to college instead of 6th form.

Okay thanks!
Where I live, there is a sixth form college so you could always look into something like that as that way you get the sixth form your parents want but you can also do what you want. I go there and it feels just like a college but everyone is there because they are smart and most need 7s at gcse to get in and not to do vocational subjects - the teaching is outstanding. So it just depends what you want really.
Reply 11
Original post by lucylexa
Where I live, there is a sixth form college so you could always look into something like that as that way you get the sixth form your parents want but you can also do what you want. I go there and it feels just like a college but everyone is there because they are smart and most need 7s at gcse to get in and not to do vocational subjects - the teaching is outstanding. So it just depends what you want really.

I want to go to like the other side of england for college. I don't want to stay at my school for 6th form or go to another school for 6th form college.
I know what I want
Original post by Noxity

Thanks!!

I am in the same situation as you. I am also in year 10. My parents want me to go to 6th form but I don’t want to. I was to go to college but apparently they have no say and it’s our choice so I know what I’m going to do
Original post by Ejhyheyhy
I am in the same situation as you. I am also in year 10. My parents want me to go to 6th form but I don’t want to. I was to go to college but apparently they have no say and it’s our choice so I know what I’m going to do

Original post by Noxity

Thanks!!

Yeaa I feel you. Same boat as you and my mother wants me to attend the same sixth form in my school like my siblings. Dead school. Dead sixth form.
Reply 14
Original post by unknownh227
Yeaa I feel you. Same boat as you and my mother wants me to attend the same sixth form in my school like my siblings. Dead school. Dead sixth form.

Yeah it sucks
Original post by Noxity
Okay thanks!

Why don;'t you compare the results of your school with the college? That's the sort of thing your parents might listen to. They will have to give notice to avoid paying fees so you need them onside.
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
Why don;'t you compare the results of your school with the college? That's the sort of thing your parents might listen to. They will have to give notice to avoid paying fees so you need them onside.

Ok ty
Original post by Noxity
Ok ty

The detailed results should be on the school website - overall results will be on the DfEperformance tables which give a progress score too.

These are here: https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/
I don't think they can sign you to 6th form without your permission, even if they apply, they can apply to 10 places and then you decide where you go, some 6th form ask to interview you too before they accept you, so if your parent applies to your school must interview you, hope this maker sense, some colleges only do Btecs and no Alevel, maybe this why your parents don't want you to go to college. Why you don't try king Edward college they are quite good, convince your parents, they have A level there too and their reputation is very good, check if there is any around you. I don't know if there is any in your area but worth to have a look.
Original post by Great444
I don't think they can sign you to 6th form without your permission, even if they apply, they can apply to 10 places and then you decide where you go, some 6th form ask to interview you too before they accept you, so if your parent applies to your school must interview you, hope this maker sense, some colleges only do Btecs and no Alevel, maybe this why your parents don't want you to go to college. Why you don't try king Edward college they are quite good, convince your parents, they have A level there too and their reputation is very good, check if there is any around you. I don't know if there is any in your area but worth to have a look.

yeah but sixth form colleges do A-levels AND BTECs...but yeah

Quick Reply

Latest