The Student Room Group

University and GCSEs

These are the grades I think I will be getting for my GCSEs.
Maths-7 or 8
English Lit-8
English Lang-7
History-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Further Maths-4/5
French-5
Physics-4
Computer Science-6
ICT-Distinction

Could I get into a top university with these grades and with As at A-level?
Original post by OpheliaTikTok
Maths-7 or 8
English Lit-8
English Lang-7
History-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Further Maths-4/5
French-5
Physics-4
Computer Science-6
ICT-Distinction

yes. You can do really well in a-levels to counteract the effects of any bad gcses. Although gcses are important, they aren't of utmost importance so don't become unmotivated because you didn't get the best gcse results in all subjects. What unis and a-levels are you thinking?
It depends on lots of components such as which university, your context and your subject. For medicine at Oxford, for example, you'd likely have relatively little chance as Oxford values GCSEs a lot more than some other top universities, and medicine is a very competitive course. On the other hand, if you got great A level predictions and were applying to a less competitive course at Cambridge such as languages or something, you'd have more chance. Furthermore, if you come from a disadvantaged background you'd have more chance, whilst doing a range of supercurriculars for the subject you apply for would also help. To conclude, it depends, but it might be worth taking autumn exams for any subjects that feed in to the type of subject you'd like to do at uni. No one can say that you wouldn't get in with these and there have been people who've got in with 2-3 A*s (8s/9s) at GCSE , but top universities are very competitive and you'd have to really show through your A levels and etc that you would dedicated and talented at your subject. It would also be advisable to aim to be predicted A*s at A level rather than As :smile:
Maths-7 or 8
English Lit-8
English Lang-7
History-7
Biology-6
Chemistry-6
Further Maths-4/5
French-5
Physics-4
Computer Science-6
ICT-Distinction

yes.
Original post by redmeercat
It depends on lots of components such as which university, your context and your subject. For medicine at Oxford, for example, you'd likely have relatively little chance as Oxford values GCSEs a lot more than some other top universities, and medicine is a very competitive course. On the other hand, if you got great A level predictions and were applying to a less competitive course at Cambridge such as languages or something, you'd have more chance. Furthermore, if you come from a disadvantaged background you'd have more chance, whilst doing a range of supercurriculars for the subject you apply for would also help. To conclude, it depends, but it might be worth taking autumn exams for any subjects that feed in to the type of subject you'd like to do at uni. No one can say that you wouldn't get in with these and there have been people who've got in with 2-3 A*s (8s/9s) at GCSE , but top universities are very competitive and you'd have to really show through your A levels and etc that you would dedicated and talented at your subject. It would also be advisable to aim to be predicted A*s at A level rather than As :smile:

Thanks for this information!! I am thinking about taking Biology, Maths and English Language I was aiming for an A* in both english and maths and then an A in biology. I am not sure yet which course to take at university but I was thinking something along the lines of maybe studying economics at LSE. Again, thanks for the advice.
Original post by Justice24
yes. You can do really well in a-levels to counteract the effects of any bad gcses. Although gcses are important, they aren't of utmost importance so don't become unmotivated because you didn't get the best gcse results in all subjects. What unis and a-levels are you thinking?

Thanks :smile: I am thinking about taking Biology, English Lang and Maths and gets A's and A*s at a levels then maybe doing something with econoimics and studying somewhere like lse, icl, ucl or kcel maybe xx
Thanks for this information!! I am thinking about taking Biology, Maths and English Language I was aiming for an A* in both english and maths and then an A in biology. I am not sure yet which course to take at university but I was thinking something along the lines of maybe studying economics at LSE. Again, thanks for the advice.

No problem, I hope you get into the uni you want! A levels are worth a lot more than GCSEs, but some unis will always be more or less interested in GCSEs so everyone (even straight 9 students) should have a mix of each. I didn't get all 8s and 9s but still got into my top uni, so nothing's impossible x
No problem, I hope you get into the uni you want! A levels are worth a lot more than GCSEs, but some unis will always be more or less interested in GCSEs so everyone (even straight 9 students) should have a mix of each. I didn't get all 8s and 9s but still got into my top uni, so nothing's impossible x

what was ur top uni and what kind of grades did u get if u dont mind xxx
what was ur top uni and what kind of grades did u get if u dont mind xxx

I got into Cambridge with 9988887A6C (which is a lot lower than my all of my other friends who got into Oxbridge
I got into Cambridge with 9988887A6C (which is a lot lower than my all of my other friends who got into Oxbridge

omg ur results were so good!! xx

Quick Reply

Latest