The Student Room Group

What are my chances of getting into a Russel group university?

My GCSEs are 65555444(5 in maths 4 in English language)

A levels: biology, chemistry and psychology
Hoping for AAA

I’m looking to apply for degrees in biology, pharmacy, chemistry and biomedical science.

Many thanks
Reply 1
I don't think you will have much trouble getting into a Russell group. You can check their GCSE requirements on their websites but with AAA predictions you would have no trouble getting offers.
Original post by jgoswell
I don't think you will have much trouble getting into a Russell group. You can check their GCSE requirements on their websites but with AAA predictions you would have no trouble getting offers.

Thank you, this sounds promising. A lot of people on here would probably say that with my terrible GCSE profile, I wouldn’t stand a chance.
Original post by The-judge-16
Thank you, this sounds promising. A lot of people on here would probably say that with my terrible GCSE profile, I wouldn’t stand a chance.

You need to check individual university entrance requirements. Some Russell Group universities might require higher than a 5 in Maths for science courses. Other than that you should be fine. Most Russell group universities dont look for high GCSE results. The usual requirement is 5 GCSE's at grade 4 or C or above. Some look for 6 or B in English Language and same for Maths for science courses. I would be looking to resit Maths GCSE to obtain a higher grade.
Original post by The-judge-16

You'll be fine considering you're predicted AAA, there isn't too much stress put on GCSE grades

GCSEs don't make too much of an impact for some uni requirements, such as Uni of Leeds for BSc Biochemistry:
"GCSE: Grade 6 (B) or above at GCSE Maths and Grade 4 (C) or above at GCSE English."

At Newcastle Uni for BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences, GCSE Chemistry, Biology or Combined Science (minimum grade A or 7) is required if you did not take Biology and Chemistry at A or AS Level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending