The Student Room Group

Table question 2

Please refer to the attachments.
The answer is D.
I thought they meant:
704/18 papers= approx 39
There are 6 journals that have above 39, out of the 18 journals.
PLos One to Genes Dev.
Therefore 6/18= 1/3=33% which is not an option.

I've now realised that when they mentioned "higher than the average" in the question they were referring to the bar graph "% of papers with spreadsheet errors, 2005-2015".

Any suggestions as to how I could have avoided the mistake I made?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Looks like one of those "read the question" mistake. The old trick is to get in the habit of quickly underline the important parts of the the question. Gets you to concentrate on whats important in the first place and allows you to review if things are confusing.
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Looks like one of those "read the question" mistake. The old trick is to get in the habit of quickly underline the important parts of the the question. Gets you to concentrate on whats important in the first place and allows you to review if things are confusing.

I guess good clues in the question such as “proportion” would have indicated to look at the bar chart as it has %s
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by As.1997
I guess good clues in the question such as “proportion” would have indicated to look at the bar chart as it has %s

Sure and the average one is in bold in the table.
But consider the suggestion of underlining parts, its a good way to skim read questons and pick out the important parts.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Sure and the average one is in bold in the table.
But consider the suggestion of underlining parts, its a good way to skim read questons and pick out the important parts.

Will definitely be underlining more often👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest