The Student Room Group

How Many Folders Per GCSE Subject

I'm currently a y10 student and using the time in quarantine to make a few notes/flascards/etc but its getting a bit much and can no longer fit into a draw,, for any past GCSE students how did you organise revision
1 folder per subject???1 folder per test???
Original post by xo.lizziee
I'm currently a y10 student and using the time in quarantine to make a few notes/flascards/etc but its getting a bit much and can no longer fit into a draw,, for any past GCSE students how did you organise revision
1 folder per subject???1 folder per test???

Personally I like, 1 folder per subject, with 1 plastic wallet per topic/ test.
Don't get too obsessed with organising things perfectly though. You may find that you end up doing more filling than revision. 😅😉
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
When I write my flashcards I organise them into subject, which paper the topic is in, what topic it is and the subtopic. I find organising them by paper is really good because then when you get to GCSE you're not revising topics that aren't in that paper which I did for mocks and spent hours revising the wrong topics. You can get flashcard filers from WHSmith that are really cute and aesthetic but also helpful and you can just put it in your bag and it can hold flashcards for about 6 subjects although i found i needed more than one because they don't have dividers for 10 subjects and if not I had too many flashcards for it to hold.
Reply 3
Original post by glassalice
Personally I like, 1 folder per subject, with 1 plastic wallet per topic/ test.
Don't get too obsessed with organising things perfectly though. You may find that you end up doing more filling than revision. 😅😉

yes ahaha thats what im scared about look
Reply 4
Original post by f15es1
When I write my flashcards I organise them into subject, which paper the topic is in, what topic it is and the subtopic. I find organising them by paper is really good because then when you get to GCSE you're not revising topics that aren't in that paper which I did for mocks and spent hours revising the wrong topics. You can get flashcard filers from WHSmith that are really cute and aesthetic but also helpful and you can just put it in your bag and it can hold flashcards for about 6 subjects although i found i needed more than one because they don't have dividers for 10 subjects and if not I had too many flashcards for it to hold.

yes thats what I'm thinking of doing!! a folder for a test then organised into topics, just might cost a lot for the folders though loool ://
Reply 5
I had big binders for English and the sciences, and then regular small folders for the others. But a folder a subject is pretty much the go to. I have one plastic wallet for each Chapter in the topic, and a coloured divider to separate papers.

e.g. for Biology I had 3 Wallets of C1,C2,C3 and then a divider saying Paper 2 and the remaining wallets there.
Reply 6
Original post by ayumie
I had big binders for English and the sciences, and then regular small folders for the others. But a folder a subject is pretty much the go to. I have one plastic wallet for each Chapter in the topic, and a coloured divider to separate papers.

e.g. for Biology I had 3 Wallets of C1,C2,C3 and then a divider saying Paper 2 and the remaining wallets there.

ah thank u :smile:
What subjects do you do?
Reply 8
I used one folder per subject and put all my papers into each topic.
When it came to notes, I used flash cards to make small notes and highlight the top of each card in different colour corresponding to each individual topic - worked well for me
honestly i only folders for subjects that made us bring them in so 2 and i did well. it’s really down to personal preference and how you find organisation and revision
Original post by PetitePanda
What subjects do you do?

English lit&lang, maths, triple science, french, history, business, RS
English lit&lang, maths, triple science, french, history, business, RS

I defo recommend folders for triple science - maybe 3 for each subject like one for biology, another for chemistry and another one for physics. I recommend a small folder or those paper/plastic folder for french and RS - literally anything that stores loose sheets as you mostly work in your book. For history, it depends if you get sheets but I recommend one and using file dividers to separate them. For maths, you don’t need a folder just something to keep the past papers or questions like those paper folders. For English lit and Lang, I recommend one folder for both but it really depends on how many sheets you have. Honestly it’s your choice but if you think the lore sheets you’ll be given or create, get a folder for that subject as many do their revision differently. Good luck :rave:
Original post by PetitePanda
I defo recommend folders for triple science - maybe 3 for each subject like one for biology, another for chemistry and another one for physics. I recommend a small folder or those paper/plastic folder for french and RS - literally anything that stores loose sheets as you mostly work in your book. For history, it depends if you get sheets but I recommend one and using file dividers to separate them. For maths, you don’t need a folder just something to keep the past papers or questions like those paper folders. For English lit and Lang, I recommend one folder for both but it really depends on how many sheets you have. Honestly it’s your choice but if you think the lore sheets you’ll be given or create, get a folder for that subject as many do their revision differently. Good luck :rave:

THANK YOU!! I reckon I'm just gonna see how much I do. maths is just gonna have a folder full of past papers loool
THANK YOU!! I reckon I'm just gonna see how much I do. maths is just gonna have a folder full of past papers loool

Haha my maths folder is basically just homework and past papers to be honest
I had magazine folder for most of my subjects, but having a lever arch file for english really helped to keep all of my notes on each text together. Honestly i didn’t really look back at my notes other than class ones, i mainly just wrote new ones from the text book and then threw them in the bin. This might sound stupid but the art of just writing things out by hand is very helpful with memorisation at gcse.
Original post by archivalzebra
I had magazine folder for most of my subjects, but having a lever arch file for english really helped to keep all of my notes on each text together. Honestly i didn’t really look back at my notes other than class ones, i mainly just wrote new ones from the text book and then threw them in the bin. This might sound stupid but the art of just writing things out by hand is very helpful with memorisation at gcse.

yes !! totally agree with the last bit

Quick Reply

Latest