The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are there two genders or more?

This was my reply in the other thread but it got locked and the OP hasn't logged in for a while.

I've never believed in all this non-binary stuff, I think you are either a man or a woman. The helicopter meme is often used as a joke or those taking the piss of this subject, but I would like to discuss it in a serious way. It's the best analogy I can think of to describe how I feel on this subject. I don't dislike people who claim they are non binary, and I still treat them with the respect I would anybody else, but in my view that doesn't actually make them a non binary gender. If my friend told me he identified as a helicopter, I wouldn't dislike him or discriminate against him. I would still treat him with respect, but I wouldn't accept that he actually was a helicopter. I'm open to discussion, as long as it remains respectful and constructive. As I agree with what Robar0608 said in the other thread, no need for hate, treat others with respect even if they have a different opinion.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You gotta remember that sex and gender are different. There are actually 3 biological sexes, male, female and in a rate case intersex. You can google this for more information on it.

But gender is a social construct. It’s based on what is stereotypically seen as masculine and feminine. Our gender is apart of our identity which we can shaped, there are many gender as gender is constructed by the society, but there are still only 3 biological sexes.

Uses the helicopter debates it’s outdated and it used as a way to **** on people who identity outside the norm. People who are non-binary just often feel they do not fit into what is stereotypically seen as male or females, they don’t fully fit into the social construct of one gender.
You are either a Male or Female. That's how I see it. Let people have their own opinions about it instead of contradicting if you don't agree with it. See what they have to say rather than jumping the gun as soon as you read the first sentence.
Reply 3
Original post by _xChlox_
Uses the helicopter debates it’s outdated and it used as a way to **** on people who identity outside the norm. People who are non-binary just often feel they do not fit into what is stereotypically seen as male or females, they don’t fully fit into the social construct of one gender.

I'm not using it to **** on anybody though, I'm using it as a constructive way to explain my view on the subject. I don't agree with the concept of non binary genders, but it's not based on dislike or hate. It's just that I don't think you can actually "change" like that and become something else just by declaring it. In my view it would be like someone declaring that they identify as a helicopter. I'm not going to hate them or discriminate against them, but I accept that they actually are a helicopter because in my mind you can't just "become" something else by declaring it. If that makes sense?
Reply 4
Original post by ayyyy.x
You are either a Male or Female. That's how I see it. Let people have their own opinions about it instead of contradicting if you don't agree with it. See what they have to say rather than jumping the gun as soon as you read the first sentence.

Well said.
In my eyes there's only 2 genders. Feel free to believe differently, but don't try and force me into believing what you believe. I respect your views so all I ask is that you respect mine.
2263C79E-B0B0-463F-9A30-303F6D65EDF7.jpg.jpeg
There's male, female and non-binary.
*shrug* I think 2, someone can identify as something else if they wish but any changes to my own vocabulary will be out of politeness rather than logic.
I don't agree with the binary view of gender. Some people are more feminine and some people are more masculine, but it's on a spectrum. I think that in rare cases people are close enough to equal parts feminine and masculine that classifying them as either no longer makes sense, so a non-binary classification is the most sensible.
Original post by Theloniouss
I don't agree with the binary view of gender. Some people are more feminine and some people are more masculine, but it's on a spectrum. I think that in rare cases people are close enough to equal parts feminine and masculine that classifying them as either no longer makes sense, so a non-binary classification is the most sensible.

So it's complicated?
In my opinion there are only two - Male and Female. But that's only an opinion, its not fact. However, even if someone has a sex change, it still makes them whatever gender they've changed into. So considering that, I am correct.
Original post by JWatch
Well said.

I agree with what you said originally in your first post. On this platform it's like if you say something that is against someone else's post then you are accused as being "discriminating" or "homophobic". People lash out on when you are trying to be civil about what you say. If people say there are only two genders then that's their own personal opinion. I don't see a problem with it.
Original post by TheStarboy
So it's complicated?

I'm not sure a linear scale is particularly complicated but yeah I guess.
Original post by JWatch
This was my reply in the other thread but it got locked and the OP hasn't logged in for a while.

I've never believed in all this non-binary stuff, I think you are either a man or a woman. The helicopter meme is often used as a joke or those taking the piss of this subject, but I would like to discuss it in a serious way. It's the best analogy I can think of to describe how I feel on this subject. I don't dislike people who claim they are non binary, and I still treat them with the respect I would anybody else, but in my view that doesn't actually make them a non binary gender. If my friend told me he identified as a helicopter, I wouldn't dislike him or discriminate against him. I would still treat him with respect, but I wouldn't accept that he actually was a helicopter. I'm open to discussion, as long as it remains respectful and constructive. As I agree with what Robar0608 said in the other thread, no need for hate, treat others with respect even if they have a different opinion.

Seems that you're needing to critique, challenge or investigate an aspect of some people's lives of which you have no direct personal experience. And yet you state that 'you do not believe' other people's reports on their own experience of their own lives. Do you feel that they are malicious? Deluded? Seeking to mislead you? What can be gained here? There is no objective proof for the reality of a social construct. It's like critiquing the inclusion of new words in a dictionary. A social construct exists if enough people report that it does, and changes with ongoing time just as language develops.
I'm not sure a linear scale is particularly complicated but yeah I guess.

Depending on how others interpreted, it's really summed up as male, female, both of them or none of them.
Original post by TheStarboy
Depending on how others interpreted, it's really summed up as male, female, both of them or none of them.

That's not really what I think. You can't be none of them.
Original post by Pinkisk
The good old fashioned "you have the right to believe*" logic.

*What I tell you to believe.

I'm not sure if you are contradicting my post, but nonetheless I can see where you are coming from. If someone is against to what you say then there isn't that concept of forcing you to "believe in what they say", that's just down to the person who is willing to listen. You can't change someone's views, but you can try and get them to understand your OWN perspective without the occasional slurs that tend to come with.
That's not really what I think. You can't be none of them.

Then what's non-binary?
Original post by Dee-Emma
Seems that you're needing to critique, challenge or investigate an aspect of some people's lives of which you have no direct personal experience. And yet you state that 'you do not believe' other people's reports on their own experience of their own lives. Do you feel that they are malicious? Deluded? Seeking to mislead you? What can be gained here?

You do not need to experience something to make an informed opinion about it.

I'm studying medicine. In the future, I am going to be diagnosing and treating patients suffering from conditions that I have never and will never be able to experience in my life. My opinion will still be valid despite the fact that I have never and will never experience such conditions. In fact, my opinion in these conditions will be more informed than many of the patients experiencing these conditions.

This logic of yours is, with all due respect, disastrous. It leads to the very thing you claim to want to end, discrimination. In a world where people's opinions are dismissed or seen as being less valid, because they cannot experience certain things the opinions of female doctors in testicular cancer will be dismissed and trivialised because they cannot experience such condition. Same for male doctors in for example ovarian maladies. Your experience argument, which feminists rely on a lot in much of their narrative, leads to racism and sexism. It's highly dangerous and flawed.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest