The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

St Georges Biomed modules info

Hi, can anyone give me some information on their year 1 modules, like what did u do in anatomy, physiology, pathology and pharmacology?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, can anyone give me some information on their year 1 modules, like what did u do in anatomy, physiology, pathology and pharmacology?

Hi!

This is the message you get from the uni describing first year:
year1biomed.PNG
But generally you learn the basics on a cellular level then progress to following through the main body systems, then you progress to learning how the pharmacology works within those body systems.
Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
Reply 2
Thank you so much!! Also another question, could you please tell me which body systems in physiology you did in the first year? Did you do the nervous system and repro in second year?
Thank you so much!! Also another question, could you please tell me which body systems in physiology you did in the first year? Did you do the nervous system and repro in second year?

Hi,

In Physiology 1st year, you cover:
Cardiovascular
Respiratory
Endocrine
Renal
Gastrointestinal

In second year, you cover the nervous system and repro, as well as musculoskeletal.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep
Reply 4
Original post by St George's, University of London
Hi,

In Physiology 1st year, you cover:
Cardiovascular
Respiratory
Endocrine
Renal
Gastrointestinal

In second year, you cover the nervous system and repro, as well as musculoskeletal.

Hope that's helpful!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep

Thank you! What books did you find helpful for physiology and were you given any by university or u had to buy them all? Also, as I'm preparing and just did a lot of reading on cardio, i want to check in if I read enough, so could you please tell me what you covered? (did you do hematology as well?) And in resp if that's possible as i am doing it next
I would really appreciate it! :smile:
Thank you! What books did you find helpful for physiology and were you given any by university or u had to buy them all? Also, as I'm preparing and just did a lot of reading on cardio, i want to check in if I read enough, so could you please tell me what you covered? (did you do hematology as well?) And in resp if that's possible as i am doing it next
I would really appreciate it! :smile:

Hi!

So there's recommended books but you can almost always access them in the library, so personally I haven't bought any textbooks because I've found lectures & the library ones to be sufficient.
The main book I found helpful for the first module of 1st year was Essential Cell Biology by Bruce Alberts - it was pretty much the only one I used unless it was unavailable. For the later units in semester 1, I used Mim's Medical Microbiology and Rang & Dale's Pharmacology. For physiology I didn't use textbooks, I used the lectures and then did extra reading of medical articles relevant to my interests within the subject. However, this is the recommended reading for physiology:
JR Levick. An introduction to cardiovascular physiology (Links to an external site.). (CRC Press; 5 edition, 2009).
Richard E Klabunde. Cardiovascular Physiology Concepts (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2nd edition edition, 2011).
In cardio, we did ccardiac cycle, input and output, control of blood flow etc, and then some specific conditions like heart failure, atheroma, infarction.
Haematology isn't til 2nd year. Resp in 1st year is fairly basic, input and output, control and mechanism of breathing, and then again specific conditions like COPD and asthma.
Don't spend your summer reading up loads unless you really want to - you will be ready for uni whether you read up or not and there's plenty of time to work hard when you get there - and the course is very sufficient.

Hope that helps!
Lauren
SGUL Official Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending