The Student Room Group

Favourite Star Wars film?

I'm bored and I want someone to talk to about Star Wars so - which one is your favourite film?
I get the most enjoyment out of A New Hope, think Empire Strikes Back has the best story line and Revenge of the Sith has the best lightsaber battle.
Your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Anything that isn't made by Disney!

But all that aside, I love ALL the star wars films (besides the Disney ones) including the prequels. The following list is how I would rank the films. I'm not including anything done by Disney cos I hate them with a passion (Except Rogue One, that was the only one that was good since Gareth William's is actually passionate about Star Wars)

1) ROTS/ESB
2) ANH
3) TPM
4) ROTJ
5) Rogue One
6) AOTC

I love all these films on this list. Including ATOC.
Either The Last Jedi or Empire.

Rogue One is almost certainly the best looking out of the bunch, but goes out of it's way to not feel like a SW film. I enjoyed it, but the Tarkin effects took me out of the film every time he appeared.
Original post by Jedimonkey
Anything that isn't made by Disney!

But all that aside, I love ALL the star wars films (besides the Disney ones) including the prequels. The following list is how I would rank the films. I'm not including anything done by Disney cos I hate them with a passion (Except Rogue One, that was the only one that was good since Gareth William's is actually passionate about Star Wars)

1) ROTS/ESB
2) ANH
3) TPM
4) ROTJ
5) Rogue One
6) AOTC

I love all these films on this list. Including ATOC.

Force Awakens is 4th on my list, we have the same top 3, but it's the only one of the sequels that I like. It may be a repeat of A New Hope but it's fun and that's what star wars should be. Also I love Rey's theme, John Williams did a brilliant job on it. Solo and Rogue One are also enjoyable though have some bland parts in my opinon.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Admit-One
Either The Last Jedi or Empire.

Rogue One is almost certainly the best looking out of the bunch, but goes out of it's way to not feel like a SW film. I enjoyed it, but the Tarkin effects took me out of the film every time he appeared.

Oh yes the last battle in Rogue One is visually stunning. I'm not a fan of Last Jedi, but I understand why people can like it as it has a new take on star wars. Empire is a classic isn't it.
Original post by stillcrying
Force Awakens is 4th on my list, we have the same top 3, but it's the only one of the squeals that I like. It may be a repeat of A New Hope but it's fun and that's what star wars should be. Also I love Rey's theme, John Williams did a brilliant job on it. Solo and Rogue One are also enjoyable though have some bland parts in my opinon.

To give some credit to the sequels...I too did love Rey's theme.

I would say they have good cinematography, great production value and good VFX. But other than that...meh.

John William's never let us down despite the sequel films.
Force Awakens
Empire is the best when it has little right to be.
Rogue one is best of the new ones. although the ending was really good, its a shame.

Watched New Hope again and found it really dated, hard to like.

Best overall imo is clone wars.
Reply 8
Rogue One. Hands down.

Neatly patching a massive plot hole.
Original post by 999tigger
Empire is the best when it has little right to be.
Rogue one is best of the new ones. although the ending was really good, its a shame.

Watched New Hope again and found it really dated, hard to like.

Best overall imo is clone wars.

Well yes but that is a series so can explore a lot more.
Well yes but that is a series so can explore a lot more.

Am juts pointing out its contribution and how much better than most of the films it is. Surprising considering it is animated.
Original post by 999tigger
Am juts pointing out its contribution and how much better than most of the films it is. Surprising considering it is animated.

I agree with you.
I’m a big Star Wars fan and I’ve been watching the films since I was little. So I think every film has its redeeming features and none of them are bad, but some are better than others. I love them all but if I had to choose one from each trilogy it would be Revenge of the Sith, Empire Strikes Back and The Last Jedi. I was very pleasantly surprised with Rogue One and Solo which were both fantastic. Having said that, I didn’t particularly enjoy Solo when I saw it in the cinema while it was out. But when I watched it at home recently, I saw a new side to it and found out just how good it was. Rise Of Skywalker I really enjoyed despite its flaws although I thought some of the characters could have been better handled. However, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it even more once I watch it at home in 4K. Like every Star Wars fan, I like to marathon the films every few years. And since the last time I did that was before The Force Awakens came out, I think I’m due for another marathon. This time in 4K and all 11 films.

Confession: I’ve never seen The Clone Wars TV show nor Star Wars Rebels so I have some catching up to do on those. However, I’ve seen the animated Clone Wars film from 2008 albeit only once and I remember really enjoying it. TV shows wise, there can only be one winner: The Mandalorian (I’m surprised no one has mentioned this already). It’s a fantastic series and a groundbreaking start to the live-action Star Wars TV universe on Disney+. I’m planning to watch it again, this time in 4K and I’m really excited for Season 2 to arrive this October, provided there are no delays. Apparently filming was completed before the pandemic started so I think it should be on track.
I really like the prequels. Especially phantom menace.

I like how Palpatine manipulated and controlled everything so carefully. His presence was always there.
Something the new films lack....

If I had to list them in order probably the prequels and originals joint top.
With solo just behind as it was awesome.
Then rogue one ( don't care about dodgy cgi)
Then the Disney films which were crap.

My biggest gripe with the Disney films is that there was no vision. They feel like 3 separate films.
Also what was the point of Finn? He was ok in the first film then they just kinda gave up on him..
Original post by asif007
I’m a big Star Wars fan and I’ve been watching the films since I was little. So I think every film has its redeeming features and none of them are bad, but some are better than others. I love them all but if I had to choose one from each trilogy it would be Revenge of the Sith, Empire Strikes Back and The Last Jedi. I was very pleasantly surprised with Rogue One and Solo which were both fantastic. Having said that, I didn’t particularly enjoy Solo when I saw it in the cinema while it was out. But when I watched it at home recently, I saw a new side to it and found out just how good it was. Rise Of Skywalker I really enjoyed despite its flaws although I thought some of the characters could have been better handled. However, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it even more once I watch it at home in 4K. Like every Star Wars fan, I like to marathon the films every few years. And since the last time I did that was before The Force Awakens came out, I think I’m due for another marathon. This time in 4K and all 11 films.

Confession: I’ve never seen The Clone Wars TV show nor Star Wars Rebels so I have some catching up to do on those. However, I’ve seen the animated Clone Wars film from 2008 albeit only once and I remember really enjoying it. TV shows wise, there can only be one winner: The Mandalorian (I’m surprised no one has mentioned this already). It’s a fantastic series and a groundbreaking start to the live-action Star Wars TV universe on Disney+. I’m planning to watch it again, this time in 4K and I’m really excited for Season 2 to arrive this October, provided there are no delays. Apparently filming was completed before the pandemic started so I think it should be on track.

You’re in for a treat when you watch Clone Wars TV show. In my opinion, it beats the Mandalorian TV show wise but I do agree the Mandalorian is very good and I am excited for the next season.
Original post by adam271
I really like the prequels. Especially phantom menace.

I like how Palpatine manipulated and controlled everything so carefully. His presence was always there.
Something the new films lack....

If I had to list them in order probably the prequels and originals joint top.
With solo just behind as it was awesome.
Then rogue one ( don't care about dodgy cgi)
Then the Disney films which were crap.

My biggest gripe with the Disney films is that there was no vision. They feel like 3 separate films.
Also what was the point of Finn? He was ok in the first film then they just kinda gave up on him..

His point was to scream “REY” a dozen times. Yeah I agree, they didn’t write a coherent story like George did with the others so they don’t flow. Last Jedi is my least favourite film of all Star Wars.
You’re in for a treat when you watch Clone Wars TV show. In my opinion, it beats the Mandalorian TV show wise but I do agree the Mandalorian is very good and I am excited for the next season.

Looking forward to checking it out! I’m aware the final season just concluded on Disney+ so I have a lot to get through, haha.
His point was to scream “REY” a dozen times. Yeah I agree, they didn’t write a coherent story like George did with the others so they don’t flow. Last Jedi is my least favourite film of all Star Wars.

It felt like palpaptine was just thought of at the last second and thrown in.
Then they just open the movie with saying " oh btw he is back.. "like it's not even a big deal.
They really needed to foreshadow his presence throughout the trilogy.

Such a wasted opportunity really because the actor is fantastic and they could of really done something cool with him.
Original post by asif007
Looking forward to checking it out! I’m aware the final season just concluded on Disney+ so I have a lot to get through, haha.

Haha don't worry, I've managed to watch all the clone wars seasons in the past 6 weeks of lockdown! A fine way to spend it I must say! :smile:
I love the whole original trilogy. Everything made after that was rubbish. I include Disney in that statement as well.

Quick Reply

Latest