The Student Room Group

embarrassed about my dad

i moved to england from france when i was 5 and can speak both english and french. i grew up with just my dad who spoke and understood very little english. growing up was sometimes hard because at parents evenings and things with school my dad just couldn't understand anything and i had to translate. he tried hard to learn english (and still is) but as he is self-employed it means he hasn't been able to properly learn english. even though i know how hard my dad tries it frustrates me. i feel awful for saying that but it does. am i an awful person ?
Reply 1
Nah, you're not a bad person but it shouldn't really irritate you. Have have you talked to him about it and have you ever thought about helping him learning English in your spare time?

however your parents shouldn't make you feel embarrassed, it wouldn't make them feel good.
(edited 3 years ago)
Your dad's probably embarrassed about his son, who doesn't appreciate the efforts his dad made to provide for him.
Original post by ageshallnot
Your dad's probably embarrassed about his son, who doesn't appreciate the efforts his dad made to provide for him.

That's a little harsh!

Being frustrated and embarrassed is understandable, but if he's trying, it's a little unfair. Sounds like he's trying his best.
Reply 4
Original post by gbwel00
Nah, you're not a bad person but it shouldn't really irritate you. Have have you talked to him about it and have you ever thought about helping him learning English in your spare time?

i'm teaching him more now we're all in lockdown but i think he just finds it hard
Original post by Anonymous
i moved to england from france when i was 5 and can speak both english and french. i grew up with just my dad who spoke and understood very little english. growing up was sometimes hard because at parents evenings and things with school my dad just couldn't understand anything and i had to translate. he tried hard to learn english (and still is) but as he is self-employed it means he hasn't been able to properly learn english. even though i know how hard my dad tries it frustrates me. i feel awful for saying that but it does. am i an awful person ?

Your dad is a very hard working person at least he is trying to learn English for you just for you that is so good. That is a very good dad. You should not be embarrassed he attended your parents evening to see your success in learning some dad will not do that. You should not be frustrated but instead you should help him because one day you will hate yourself for being frustrated. You are not an awful person. Spend time with your dad and teach him English. Thank him for learning English for you and be there for him.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
i'm teaching him more now we're all in lockdown but i think he just finds it hard

I respect that, take your time he may be learning at his own pace.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending