The Student Room Group

How could I achieve more UCAS points?

Hi, I'm in Year 10. I would like to med school after sixth form. I would like to accumulate as many UCAS points as possible for successful entry. I currently play the guitar and I hope to get to grade 6 at the minimum by the time I submit the application. I have already volunteered in a charity shop for six months but I know this doesn't earn any UCAS points. Are there any other ways to earn extra UCAS points?
UCAS points really don’t mean anything if you’re applying for medicine - universities will ask for grades (likely AAA or similar) as their entry requirements, and then the additional extras you will need will be things like work experience (in hospitals, care giving settings etc), strong performance in additional tests (such as the UCAT) and generally good academic history.

Focus on building up your experience and revising for your exams so you can achieve your best grades. Any extra curriculars such as guitar should be done because you genuinely enjoy it and as a relief from your studies, not just to gain points for an application :smile:
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
UCAS points really don’t mean anything if you’re applying for medicine - universities will ask for grades (likely AAA or similar) as their entry requirements, and then the additional extras you will need will be things like work experience (in hospitals, care giving settings etc), strong performance in additional tests (such as the UCAT) and generally good academic history.

Focus on building up your experience and revising for your exams so you can achieve your best grades. Any extra curriculars such as guitar should be done because you genuinely enjoy it and as a relief from your studies, not just to gain points for an application :smile:

Apart from Queen mary which is 50% ucas points and 50% ucat and people have crazy high ucas points
Original post by AI073
Hi, I'm in Year 10. I would like to med school after sixth form. I would like to accumulate as many UCAS points as possible for successful entry. I currently play the guitar and I hope to get to grade 6 at the minimum by the time I submit the application. I have already volunteered in a charity shop for six months but I know this doesn't earn any UCAS points. Are there any other ways to earn extra UCAS points?

Unless you wish to apply to QMUL, there is not anything to be gained from having additional UCAS points per say.
However, learning instruments and volunteering would look very good on your personal statement, if you spin it right.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
UCAS points will not usually form part of an offer for Medicine, it will be based on A level grades & whichever medical test they stipulate.

UCAS points are only awarded for formally recognised Level 3 qualifications on the qualifications framework - academic, art/music/dance grade 6 up etc that are at level 3 etc. You would better to focus on gaining good grade & relevant experience for your application.
Reply 5
Full details of ucas point can be found here https://www.ucas.com/file/259341/download?token=GXu_Pq-H
Thank you to all who replied! This has cleared up everything. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending