The Student Room Group

Bipolar depression

What is this? I am depressed but not bipolar.
does this mean your off and on of being depressed
Reply 2
Original post by carrotlover
does this mean your off and on of being depressed

I’m always depressed, I think.
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Bipolar disorder isn't the same as depression, although people with bipolar disorder do have depressive episodes, however, they also have manic/hypomanic episodes as well (also sometimes mixed episodes and psychotic features are also present). They don't refer to it as bipolar depression/manic depression anymore either.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Pathway
Bipolar disorder isn't the same as depression, although people with bipolar disorder do have depressive episodes, however, they also have manic/hypomanic episodes as well. They don't refer to it as bipolar depression/manic depression anymore either.

My psych said on Thursday I have bipolar depression :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
My psych said on Thursday I have bipolar depression :s-smilie:

That's unusual, it's an old term. Anyway, yes, speak to your psychiatrist and ask why you've been diagnosed with it so they can clarify their diagnosis choice. It might help you understand yourself more too.
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
That's unusual, it's an old term. Anyway, yes, speak to your psychiatrist and ask why you've been diagnosed with it so they can clarify their diagnosis choice. It might help you understand yourself more too.

I did ask but he didn’t explain it very well.
Reply 8
It's a misconception that bipolar is mood swings, you could possibly be showing symptoms of mania/hypomania. Have a quick look on the NHS website at the symptoms: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bipolar-disorder/symptoms/
It's concerning your doctor didn't explain properly, if you don't feel like the diagnosis fits definitely bring it up with them next time you see them
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I did ask but he didn’t explain it very well.

Then it might be worth doing some of your own research via reputable sites (e.g. NHS) about it. Perhaps even try and find a support group too? I don't have bipolar, though one of my best friends did. But it wouldn't be right of me to explain things because it sounds like your psychiatrist needs to explain it to you. However "just" having depression/a depressive episode is not sufficient enough to warrant a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, there has to be evidence of hypomanic episodes and/or manic episodes as well lasting specific lengths of time, etc. This is the basic gist of it, but it is an incredibly complex disorder. You need to speak to your psychiatrist and ask them to explain it to you again, because idk how it relates to you personally and I am not a doctor.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest