Does society respect Black women?

Watch
Shellster299
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does society respect Black women? Whats your take on the hierarchy of society?
β0b
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
I think they get respect. but I haven't seen much of the world so I'm no reference.
Reguken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What about me? I get no respect, I get no respect at all! Oh I tell ya, I get no respect, no sir
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If they receive respect for nothing but being women and black then there is something wrong with our society. If they receive disrespect for nothing but their colour and gender, again this points to a problem in our society. I think the answer to both of these questions, in varying degrees, is yes.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 1 year ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
there is undoubted bias, though more subconscious instead of blatant, against black people and minorities in people still in 2020 imo in the UK
tubphonecase
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No one intrinsically receives respect from society without circumstances like wealth (most people would respect an upper-middle class person more than a working class person) and education (most people would respect a doctor over a cleaner) working in their favour. But, there are characteristics that put you at a further disadvantage in terms of respect for sure, race and gender being huge factors in those. I'm sure most women will understand that their knowledge on a topic is generally taken with a pinch of salt compared to that of a man. We are trusted less, be it subconsciously or not. I'm white, and can't speak for racial minorities but I'm sure the same effect is seen racially.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shellster299)
Does society respect Black women? Whats your take on the hierarchy of society?
Yes they do.

I think there is a hierarchy in society which mainly a wealth divide, money and power is where the hierarchy exists.

What's your opinion?
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As a black woman, I say yes.
HurtOnAllLevels
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reguken)
What about me? I get no respect, I get no respect at all! Oh I tell ya, I get no respect, no sir
Are you a black woman?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would you kindly expand on what you mean by 'respect black women' as its rather a broad frame of reference to go from
Shellster299
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Would you kindly expand on what you mean by 'respect black women' as its rather a broad frame of reference to go from
Shellster299
Rep:
?
(Original post by HurtOnAllLevels)
Are you a black woman?
I wouldn't say so
username5215566
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yea.
in terms of police brutality, black men are more affected. but generally, yea.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Again, be specific.
I wouldn't say so
Would others?
Shellster299
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Again, be specific.

Would others?
That is my question
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is my question
Your question is whether people would call you black..?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some people are paranoid about skin colour but it probably is the fault of those winding them up for money, or so we like to think.
Shellster299
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Your question is whether people would call you black..?
No, do you a member of society think that black women receive the same amount of respect as any other race of woman?
Shellster299
Rep:
?
(Original post by z-hog)
Some people are paranoid about skin colour but it probably is the fault of those winding them up for money, or so we like to think.
For money? Could you please explain?
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For money? Could you please explain?
Yes, I feel that a lot of people are over-sensitive about the colour of their skin because they are told they should be. That can be in the so-called education system, where some people are paid for doing that, the media, also for money, or even by politicians with no other string to their bows than agitating the race card and persuading people that they are victims of something they can only be saved from by voting in a certain way. I have to say that asking if society respects black women is the sort of thing that I can only attribute to that, it's totally airy-fairy and devoid of substance of any kind. Classroom/Guardianista/Labourite speak, totally meaningless.
Last edited by z-hog; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
17.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32.79%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.84%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.66%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.1%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
23.77%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.64%

Watched Threads