The Student Room Group

Don’t have the correct A levels, what can I do?

I want to study physiotherapy in university however it requires an A level in Biology and I don’t have that. I’ve already emailed the uni and asked if I can do the course with the A levels I do have and they have said no. Are there any other courses I can do that can lead to me being a physiotherapist in the future. I’m open to doing foundation years or a masters, I just don’t know where I can go from here.
Original post by taylahriste
I want to study physiotherapy in university however it requires an A level in Biology and I don’t have that. I’ve already emailed the uni and asked if I can do the course with the A levels I do have and they have said no. Are there any other courses I can do that can lead to me being a physiotherapist in the future. I’m open to doing foundation years or a masters, I just don’t know where I can go from here.

Hi I didn't have the right A levels to get onto the course I needed but I did a Access to Higher education course which takes 1 year and it is the science based one you need which will allow you to do physiotherapy. You will need to check with the universities first as some will only accept if you have been out of education for min 3 years. I am 26 so thats the route I took to get onto the uni course which I will be starting September. Other than that have you looked at sports therapy?
Reply 2
Original post by Kelly murrell
Hi I didn't have the right A levels to get onto the course I needed but I did a Access to Higher education course which takes 1 year and it is the science based one you need which will allow you to do physiotherapy. You will need to check with the universities first as some will only accept if you have been out of education for min 3 years. I am 26 so thats the route I took to get onto the uni course which I will be starting September. Other than that have you looked at sports therapy?

Thank you for your reply! I’ll look into that access course but Im only 18 I’m in the middle of my A levels so it might not work out the same for me. I’ve been looking into sport science and sports rehabilitation but I don’t think I can become a physio with either of those degrees :frown: I’ll research sports therapy, hopefully I’ll have some luck.
Thank you for your reply! I’ll look into that access course but Im only 18 I’m in the middle of my A levels so it might not work out the same for me. I’ve been looking into sport science and sports rehabilitation but I don’t think I can become a physio with either of those degrees :frown: I’ll research sports therapy, hopefully I’ll have some luck.

Hi you can do an Access course at age 19 and above but you will need to check with the Unis that you wish to do physio if they will accept this as some courses don't allow Access to HE course as a means of topping up your grades but a lot do. Theres loads of students who are 19 on the course who have got into Uni starting this September who did A levels before. I don't know about other routes though sorry :frown: Hope you find a way that works for you :smile:
Hi @taylahriste,

I am a third year Sport and Exercise Science student at the University of Lincoln. At 18, I was interested in physiotherapy too but I was struggling to find courses based upon my level 3 qualifications. One route you could take is to do a degree in sports therapy, strength & conditioning or sports science and then take a masters in physiotherapy. A masters in physiotherapy fully qualifies you to be a physiotherapist in two years, so this route would take a total of 5 years (three years at undergraduate and two years at masters). However, what you may find (I did) is that during your undergraduate degree you actually end up wanting to take up a slightly different career path. So perhaps if you wanted to go down this route, pick a degree related to physiotherapy that your qualifications would make you eligible for and you are interested in. Then take the masters option if you are still interested in physiotherapy.

It may also be that some Universities may accept students for physiotherapy at an undergraduate level even without A-level Biology, it would be worth researching other places to study on UCAS.

I hope this helps, good luck in deciding what to do!
Jack :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent
Hi @taylahriste,

I am a third year Sport and Exercise Science student at the University of Lincoln. At 18, I was interested in physiotherapy too but I was struggling to find courses based upon my level 3 qualifications. One route you could take is to do a degree in sports therapy, strength & conditioning or sports science and then take a masters in physiotherapy. A masters in physiotherapy fully qualifies you to be a physiotherapist in two years, so this route would take a total of 5 years (three years at undergraduate and two years at masters). However, what you may find (I did) is that during your undergraduate degree you actually end up wanting to take up a slightly different career path. So perhaps if you wanted to go down this route, pick a degree related to physiotherapy that your qualifications would make you eligible for and you are interested in. Then take the masters option if you are still interested in physiotherapy.

It may also be that some Universities may accept students for physiotherapy at an undergraduate level even without A-level Biology, it would be worth researching other places to study on UCAS.

I hope this helps, good luck in deciding what to do!
Jack :smile:

Thank you so much! I’ve been looking into sport and exercise science recently but I didn’t know if I could do a masters in physio with that degree, so now that I know I can it’s something I’ll definitely consider! Your advice has definitely helped. :smile:

Hey, you could look at doing an online distance learning course that gives you the necessary credits in a biology based subject at level 3.
Reply 7
Hi, I was in a similar position to you 3 years ago! I wanted to study Physiotherapy after my A-levels but fell short on my grades. I chose the route of studying Sport Rehabilitation (due to graduate this summer) and I am now going on to study Physiotherapy this September! It is a long winded route doing it this way but you could do an Access course :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Sdavid98
Hi, I was in a similar position to you 3 years ago! I wanted to study Physiotherapy after my A-levels but fell short on my grades. I chose the route of studying Sport Rehabilitation (due to graduate this summer) and I am now going on to study Physiotherapy this September! It is a long winded route doing it this way but you could do an Access course :smile:

Amazing thank you so much!! I think this is the route I’m going to go down after seeing so many people do it this way! :smile:
Hi, I have just finished a subjects allied to medicine foundation year and will be starting physio in September at herts uni! This is a great route to take and quicker than the others. The teachers are really helpful and it gets you prepared for uni. The work is relatively easy and is mostly broad science and some maths. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Some universities will consider you for physiotherapy if you have an A in A-Level PE, even if you don’t have biology. So if you have that then you may be okay with some universities like Liverpool. Cardiff, on the other hand, would not.

Maybe you could take A-Level biology in a year? I know someone who had to take a year out because of the 2020 fiasco and I believe they did English language in the year they had free.
Reply 12
Original post by Sdavid98

Hi where did you study your rehab

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending