The Student Room Group

So how bad does a 3rd year undergrad diss have to be for it to fail?

Basically i wont be beat around the bush, i really hate my dissertation and im pretty sure i wont get a good mark. I can go into why this is but its for a lot of reasons, partially my own fault partially things outside my control.

I just want to graduate with a 2.1, which for my other modules im on track for (and 2nd year), but with the current state of my dissertation im concerned i might just bring me down into a 2.2 which would be soul crushing.

I think if i at least get a high 3rd (or even a low one probably) id probably be okay but does anyone know how crap it would have to be to get below 40?

Thanks
Won’t it depend on how they work our degrees. Mine says for example to get a first you need x credits at a first level and nothing worse than a 2.1. Even if you got firsts got everything but the dissertation you probably need it to be above a certain level to get a first.
Others have different rules on how degrees are scored so you need to find that out.
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
Won’t it depend on how they work our degrees. Mine says for example to get a first you need x credits at a first level and nothing worse than a 2.1. Even if you got firsts got everything but the dissertation you probably need it to be above a certain level to get a first.
Others have different rules on how degrees are scored so you need to find that out.

I guess it would but im not sure. My diss is worth 1/4 of my 3rd year grade and the same amount of credits as the rest of the modules. Everything else i got a 2.1 on. My 2rd year i got 3 2.1 modules and one 2.2, overall 63.

I assumed as long as after adding all the module grades together, you get 59.5-69.49 you get a 2.1? Am i wrong

Edit: Im more interested in to how bad a quality my dissertation would need to be to get a fail anyway
(edited 3 years ago)
Does your university not have a no-detriment policy? Assuming that your dissertation is handed in at the end of the school year then the no-detriment policy should take affect permitting you get at least a pass grade.
Reply 4
Original post by --Student
Does your university not have a no-detriment policy? Assuming that your dissertation is handed in at the end of the school year then the no-detriment policy should take affect permitting you get at least a pass grade.

Im at Essex Uni so we dont really have a proper no detriment policy, my exam in the summer is not covered, besides there being a more lenient extenuating circumstances.
These are on the University of Essex's website regarding the no-detriment policy.

Safety Net 3
More Flexibility in the Management of Marks and How they Contribute to the Module Outcome

Where you have already met the learning outcomes for a module based on assessment you have already passed, the Alternative Assessment can only improve your module aggregate.
Where you have not yet completed or passed enough assessment to meet the learning outcomes for a module, you will need to complete the upcoming assessments to be able to pass this module. Safety Net 4 means that all students’ performance in the module will be reviewed.

Safety Net 4
Monitoring Module Cohorts Against Previous Three Years

We will be actively comparing module marks this year with the previous three years to ensure that the marks are in line with previous achievement.
The Board of Examiners will look at the performance of students on your module as a whole. If your module cohort performs more poorly than we would expect based on the last three years of students taking that module, we will consider the marks to ensure that you are not disadvantaged.

So I'd guess permitting you did well in years 1&2, you should be considered for a review of your grades, and in turn get a better overall grade for the year no matter if your dissertation only gets a pass.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 2Calum1906
I guess it would but im not sure. My diss is worth 1/4 of my 3rd year grade and the same amount of credits as the rest of the modules. Everything else i got a 2.1 on. My 2rd year i got 3 2.1 modules and one 2.2, overall 63.

I assumed as long as after adding all the module grades together, you get 59.5-69.49 you get a 2.1? Am i wrong

Edit: Im more interested in to how bad a quality my dissertation would need to be to get a fail anyway

Im at Essex Uni so we dont really have a proper no detriment policy, my exam in the summer is not covered, besides there being a more lenient extenuating circumstances.

Essex will surely let you keep your grades in tact. How else are you going to compete with all the fancy RGs who have safety nets and leniency programs in place. They would be forsaking their own employment statistics and uni reputation.
Reply 7
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Essex will surely let you keep your grades in tact. How else are you going to compete with all the fancy RGs who have safety nets and leniency programs in place. They would be forsaking their own employment statistics and uni reputation.

Well dont take my word on it but from what i know many Essex students are quite angry, particularly the ones which haven't completed enough coursework for a module (or any at all) as there is still a lot of uncertainty on how the board of examiners will determine as fair grade.
Well dont take my word on it but from what i know many Essex students are quite angry, particularly the ones which haven't completed enough coursework for a module (or any at all) as there is still a lot of uncertainty on how the board of examiners will determine as fair grade.

That won't be determined by the board of examiners. Common student misconception, only if there's a complaint and formal review would they get involved. That's a formality, the module convenors will decide what grades to award and then it will be moderated by another academic in a sort of review. At least that's how it works at most uni's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending