The Student Room Group

Most important science?

In terms of which science, out of biology, chemistry and physics has contributed the most to the world?

Scroll to see replies

Physics (definitely not biased coz that’s what I study) but in all seriousness I’d probs still say physics. Electronics, communications, applications to medicine e.g radiotherapy, engineering literally most things you use everyday
Original post by Sophhhowa
Physics (definitely not biased coz that’s what I study) but in all seriousness I’d probs still say physics. Electronics, communications, applications to medicine e.g radiotherapy, engineering literally most things you use everyday

While it is true that physics is a highly important science, do you not believe that chemistry would be too, as it looks at how certain chemicals react together which is vital for the production of medicines for humans?
Original post by The-judge-16
While it is true that physics is a highly important science, do you not believe that chemistry would be too, as it looks at how certain chemicals react together which is vital for the production of medicines for humans?

Sure but with medicines as your only argument for chem I’d say physics still wins
Original post by Sophhhowa
Sure but with medicines as your only argument for chem I’d say physics still wins

Haha 😂
Yeah physics does win as it’s the science that governs the laws of the universe.
Well I suppose chemistry does too, the laws of thermodynamics are certainly very important!
Lol 😂
I hope I haven’t turned that mad yet!
(edited 3 years ago)
Physics all the way
this reminds of a ClayJenson817 thread(s) 😂
Original post by Xxuserxx
Physics all the way

Well, it is the scientific discipline of the study of matter, motion and how the universe works, so yes it’s got to be the most important!

When you think about it though, without biology we would not be able to cure any diseases or understand how our bodies work, so I suppose all the sciences are just as important tbh
Well, it is the scientific discipline of the study of matter, motion and how the universe works, so yes it’s got to be the most important!

When you think about it though, without biology we would not be able to cure any diseases or understand how our bodies work, so I suppose all the sciences are just as important tbh

You need an XKCD at this point ......

https://xkcd.com/1520/

Who "wins" rather depends on how you define winning.
Physics > Chemistry > Biology
Original post by AM_TSR
Physics > Chemistry > Biology

Any reason why?
Original post by stereotypeasian
this reminds of a ClayJenson817 thread(s) 😂

THIS lmao

In terms of which science, out of biology, chemistry and physics has contributed the most to the world?

I'm a physics student, but certainly biological sciences have "contributed more to the world" than the physical sciences. The increased quality of life, life expectancy and eradication of diseases from studying physiology and disease, and food security from studying plant growth and doing things like selective breeding are what helped people in society have the time to develop technology and study the details of fundamental physics, etc...
Also you've forgotten about other sciences like materials science (which directly affects our day-to-day life) and earth sciences/geology.
Reply 14
demonology

you fools

I regret not studying a science tbh
Original post by Kavala
I regret not studying a science tbh

What did you study?
Original post by Kavala
I’m currently studying geography (ba) at lse

Oh ok, that is considered a science though?

Mathematics.

Wether it be a natural science, engineering, computer science, healthcare, none of them would be to the same standards without it. (I think in particular calculus, linear algebra & real analysis play a huge part in the information age).
Original post by mnot
Mathematics.

Wether it be a natural science, engineering, computer science, healthcare, none of them would be to the same standards without it. (I think in particular calculus, linear algebra & real analysis play a huge part in the information age).

Don't forget discrete mathematics (like graph theory, number theory, etc... for stuff like sorting algorithms and encryption) and numerical methods (for all sorts of modelling)!

Quick Reply

Latest