The Student Room Group

Scitt course

I am really struggling with my scitt course at the moment... So much paperwork and bull**** evidence /forms to upload, even observations that my mentors didn't do. This course was hell for me in many ways. Anyone got any advice for me to power through the last bit?
I don't know how to power through as I'm resitting my placement in September as I had an awful mentor that broke me. Decided I couldn't be bothered (or saw no point in) doing the alternative online course as well this term. I spent so much time taking photos of evidence, uploading in order on my computer and keeping the folder pristine for that placement and no one ever looked at it. It's infuriating. And such a waste of paper!
All I can do is empathise that yes it's bull****. How long have you got left? I had a post-it on my computer promising me I could buy something I really wanted at the end (and drink). I would also google PGCE memes to make me laugh (but maybe that's just me :h:)
How was it hell? Other than this generally being a boot camp course where they see how much you can do being criticised and not sleeping for months at a time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Yeah it's just a disgrace. Similar issues to you placement a mentor just had me do her menial tasks like a slave and my folder would suffer as theyd just have me as a cover for them etc. Used me essentially, then the paperwork is just non stop, i neglected some of it due to countless hours on planning and editing things mentors had told me to change etc. Then they have the audacity to say I haven't uploaded stuff etc. Literally hundreds of forms /admin type **** to so, countless reflections and evaluations, lesson observations of other staff i have to upload and much much more. Fun fun. Sorry u had a bad mentor too, it's awful when they're selfish
I’m looking at resitting a placement in September as my mentor in my SD course has not been great. They’ve had the cheek to downgrade me from outstanding in my alternative placement to concern saying I’m unable to deal with behaviour- one child causes me issues and behaviour is difficult to manage - I’m trying different things - misbehaves for mentor and other teachers as well but I’m supposed to come up with some magic formula! It’s disgraceful.
Original post by Laurensmum
I’m looking at resitting a placement in September as my mentor in my SD course has not been great. They’ve had the cheek to downgrade me from outstanding in my alternative placement to concern saying I’m unable to deal with behaviour- one child causes me issues and behaviour is difficult to manage - I’m trying different things - misbehaves for mentor and other teachers as well but I’m supposed to come up with some magic formula! It’s disgraceful.

Ugh I had 3 that were seriously disruptive and about 8 that were low level. As far as I could tell they behaved the same way with the teacher - I was told off for letting them get away with it or told off for taking up too much time trying to stamp it out. Pick a lane...
Original post by Kmccluskey7
I am really struggling with my scitt course at the moment... So much paperwork and bull**** evidence /forms to upload, even observations that my mentors didn't do. This course was hell for me in many ways. Anyone got any advice for me to power through the last bit?

All I can say is that you will never have this much paperwork to deal with ever again- the paper work for NQT is really minimal in comparison. I've found my NQT so much better than the PGCE (excluding the current situation, obviously). If you like the actual classroom teaching then it's worth powering through?

Original post by Laurensmum

Do you have anyone external to the school (e.g. a uni tutor, the ITT tutor for your teaching alliance etc) who you could discuss this with- as long as you have tried appropriate strategies and escalated where necessary and so on, you shouldn't be penalized for the behaviour of one child. Do you have a paper trail showing what you've discussed and what you've tried?
I'm starting a SCITT in September! I hope you find a way through yours and I don't have the same experience.

Good luck
Original post by Kmccluskey7
Yeah it's just a disgrace. Similar issues to you placement a mentor just had me do her menial tasks like a slave and my folder would suffer as theyd just have me as a cover for them etc. Used me essentially, then the paperwork is just non stop, i neglected some of it due to countless hours on planning and editing things mentors had told me to change etc. Then they have the audacity to say I haven't uploaded stuff etc. Literally hundreds of forms /admin type **** to so, countless reflections and evaluations, lesson observations of other staff i have to upload and much much more. Fun fun. Sorry u had a bad mentor too, it's awful when they're selfish

Did you consider a 'traditional' PGCE?

Quick Reply