The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin vs Uni of Derby

I’m struggling to choose my firm choice, I’ve been offered a place in both Unies to study Fine Art, I’ve been to open day in Uni of Derby but I didn’t make it to ARU, any advice or thoughts which one I should choose ?
What are your criteria? Do you want somewhere with a good nightlife, a good reputation, good accommodation, good reputation etc. Think about what matters to you and research each university.
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Derby is a lovely university , not very much nightlife but enough and I believe the university is good in supporting students. Look to see if there's virtual universities, I used to live in Derby as a child and teenager and knew people who attended they had minimal issues and did enjoy it .
Reply 3
Original post by skittish
What are your criteria? Do you want somewhere with a good nightlife, a good reputation, good accommodation, good reputation etc. Think about what matters to you and research each university.

thanks for your reply, for me matters education level itself and attitude from tutors but since I haven’t been to ARU it is hard to decide.
Reply 4
Original post by Mysticalmystery
Derby is a lovely university , not very much nightlife but enough and I believe the university is good in supporting students. Look to see if there's virtual universities, I used to live in Derby as a child and teenager and knew people who attended they had minimal issues and did enjoy it .

thanks for your reply, yes, I believe Derby is good university (atleast that everyone tells me :smile:), but is it good on artistic level like for an artist does it has good art program ?
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for your reply, yes, I believe Derby is good university (atleast that everyone tells me :smile:), but is it good on artistic level like for an artist does it has good art program ?

What I remember is art is a big part as they have a separate campus dedicated to it and they have things like 3D cutters etc im not sure about fine art unfortunately but I'm sure if you request to join an applicant group on facebook or an through student room you could find a student unfortunately I only know it from a Business and Management perspective and education
Reply 6
Original post by Mysticalmystery
What I remember is art is a big part as they have a separate campus dedicated to it and they have things like 3D cutters etc im not sure about fine art unfortunately but I'm sure if you request to join an applicant group on facebook or an through student room you could find a student unfortunately I only know it from a Business and Management perspective and education

thank you, I appreciate your opinion.
thank you, I appreciate your opinion.

No problem if you do decide on Derby I can help you with information on the city etc big pro of Derby is free univerisity bus takes you to uni, accommodation, centre and train station
Reply 8
I’m struggling to choose my firm choice, I’ve been offered a place in both Unies to study Fine Art, I’ve been to open day in Uni of Derby but I didn’t make it to ARU, any advice or thoughts which one I should choose ?

Hey! I study in ARU, specifically Cambridge School of Art and I think it’s perfect for art. They have a lot of facilities to use as an art student. I study illustration but I had a flatmate who is doing fine art and he seems to love it. You can use 3D workshops to stretch your own canvases, make sculptures from clay, plaster or anything else. There are digital media services if you need to rent a camera or any camera related equipment. There’s also a gallery in the Ruskin building! It’s awesome to see new exhibitions all the time.
Also I know for a fact that you get your own space as a fine art student, I’ve seen the studios before :-)

Cambridge is a wonderful town to live in also! So many museums, views, galleries and events happening every day!

Hi there,

It's got to be a difficult decision and I'm so sorry you weren't able to visit us at ARU.

We do run virtual open days and our next is on 10th June - you can register here: https://aru.ac.uk/study/open-day/book-your-place

You can also chat with a student anytime to find out a bit more about life at ARU using our "Chat to our Students" service via our website: https://aru.ac.uk/study/chat-to-our-students

Hopefully, through these channels you will get more of a feel for what the teaching and community are like at ARU and this will help you make your decision.

All the best and please feel free to ask any further questions you may have on here too and we will endeavour to reply.

Katrina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending