The Student Room Group

Accommodation in Liverpool

Hiya , so I’m moving to Liverpool in September for an LPC and I’m trying to find accommodations. All lot of them seem to be asking for payment of rent upfront ( so paying before I move in ) and this would make me liable for the rent even if something happens and I can’t occupy the house.

I was wondering if this is a normal thing cuz rn I’m confused and don’t know what to do. Help !!!

Ps: I’m an international student
Original post by Liverpool jksl
Hiya , so I’m moving to Liverpool in September for an LPC and I’m trying to find accommodations. All lot of them seem to be asking for payment of rent upfront ( so paying before I move in ) and this would make me liable for the rent even if something happens and I can’t occupy the house.

I was wondering if this is a normal thing cuz rn I’m confused and don’t know what to do. Help !!!

Yes this is fairly normal. That is if you mean they are asking for a deposit.
Contracts vary depending on accommodation type and contract type. It sounds like you are applying for a fixed-term contract, you sign to live and pay rent for the length of the contract. From experience, very tricky to cancel early (have to find someone else to pay e.g. new tennant).
I advise looking for a monthly contract, that is hard to come by for uni accommodation.

Hey!

I am currently doing my LPC in Liverpool!

That is normal to pay 1 months rent in advance, you would need to see what the contract says about when you become liable - you should ring the landlord or letting agent and ask them before paying or signing a contract as things could be different due to coronavirus.

If you have any questions about the LPC or living in Liverpool then let me know, happy to help :smile:

Emily
(Student Ambassador, LPC, Liverpool)
Original post by evolvingarch
Yes this is fairly normal. That is if you mean they are asking for a deposit.
Contracts vary depending on accommodation type and contract type. It sounds like you are applying for a fixed-term contract, you sign to live and pay rent for the length of the contract. From experience, very tricky to cancel early (have to find someone else to pay e.g. new tennant).
I advise looking for a monthly contract, that is hard to come by for uni accommodation.

So this is normal then for uni accommodations?

Would you suggest just going with this fixed term one since finding a monthly one is harder.

And how quickly did you find a new tenant when it happened to you ?
So this is normal then for uni accommodations?

Would you suggest just going with this fixed term one since finding a monthly one is harder.

And how quickly did you find a new tenant when it happened to you ?

Yes, they like the certainty of income so most go for a fixed term.
Ideally, considering the uncertainty of everything this year I would advise looking for a monthly contract if possible.
For me it was very hard to find a new Tennant, I actually had to pay the full contract when I asked to leave 4 months prior. I even paid an additional cancellation fee so I paid even more (massive learning point for me) than if I did nothing. Finding a Tennant will always depend on the region (For example, more likely to find someone in Liverpool than someone in Lincoln).
As I was working the past year, this time around I picked a monthly contract, when COVID-19 forced us to isolate as well as forcing companies to furlough or let go, all I had to do was text my landlord with 28 days notice. I was able to leave my place without a problem as well as gain my full deposit back.

Hopefully, that gives you a more practical perspective.

If you are in Liverpool, private halls are all fixed-term (unless the University's own halls make an exception this year), so I would personally hunt for houses or flats owned by smaller landlords that might cater for more flexible contracts (if you ever find I 6 month fixed contract I would also go for that).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending