The Student Room Group

Biology Teachers

Will Biology teachers become less in demand in the future, as of the huge number of bio graduates ?

Scroll to see replies

no
Nah because any science teacher is expected to teach all sciences at secondary level. Teaching is a safe and reliable job.
Original post by Academicbee123
Nah because any science teacher is expected to teach all sciences at secondary level. Teaching is a safe and reliable job.

Will they be expected to have done other science a levels then?
Original post by madmirrors
no

Will it become more competitive ?
Original post by randomquestion
Will it become more competitive ?

No, there's no evidence of that
No, there's no evidence of that

In around 6 years maybe?
In around 6 years maybe?

No.........
Not everybody with a biology degree goes into teaching for starters
Will they be expected to have done other science a levels then?

It would be more appealing and competitive. You get taught to teach all sciences for PGCE anyway.
It would be more appealing and competitive. You get taught to teach all sciences for PGCE anyway.

Will I be at a great advantage for only having done Biology and Maths ( I have some triple science for GCSEs tho)
Will I be at a great advantage for only having done Biology and Maths ( I have some triple science for GCSEs tho)

They could get you to teach maths as well as bio, although they will expect you to teach chemistry and physics too. Any stem subjects are useful, you’ll be fine!
They could get you to teach maths as well as bio, although they will expect you to teach chemistry and physics too. Any stem subjects are useful, you’ll be fine!

Would another applicant with physics / chemistry a level, be at a better position of getting a job over me?

You won't be teaching GCSE maths with a PGCE in biology...... It's common to teach all 3 sciences with a science PGCE but you aren't expected to teach any non science subjects maths included.
Would another applicant with physics / chemistry a level, be at a better position of getting a job over me?

I’d probably say no. As long as you have a biology degree and your PGCE (where you will be taught to teach all sciences), you’ll be fine. Maths and biology Alevel will be good enough.
You won't be teaching GCSE maths with a PGCE in biology...... It's common to teach all 3 sciences with a science PGCE but you aren't expected to teach any non science subjects maths included.

I have many teacher friends who are not teaching their degree subject. I have a maths teacher friend with a biology degree, a geography teacher friend with a chemistry degree, etc. You’d be surprised.
I have many teacher friends who are not teaching their degree subject. I have a maths teacher friend with a biology degree, a geography teacher friend with a chemistry degree, etc. You’d be surprised.

That makes no sense whatsoever........ You're not able to do a PGCE in a subject different to your degree or if the degree has less than 50% content of the subject you wish to teach...... You're making no sense whatsoever. please refer to PGCE entry requirements before believing people who are giving out misinformation
That makes no sense whatsoever........ You're not able to do a PGCE in a subject different to your degree or if the degree has less than 50% content of the subject you wish to teach...... You're making no sense whatsoever. please refer to PGCE entry requirements before believing people who are giving out misinformation

They have a PGCE in their degree subject. Often times schools are desperate for teachers in certain subjects and will have other teachers fill in, and then they end up fully teaching that role. It happens. It doesn’t mean it will, and people should teach their degree subject. Just to be aware that sometimes it does. Heck, even my best friend is a French teacher with a psychology degree!
They have a PGCE in their degree subject. Often times schools are desperate for teachers in certain subjects and will have other teachers fill in, and then they end up fully teaching that role. It happens. It doesn’t mean it will, and people should teach their degree subject. Just to be aware that sometimes it does. Heck, even my best friend is a French teacher with a psychology degree!

Sounds more like covering a lesson than teaching.
Sounds more like covering a lesson than teaching.

They’re full time teachers and have been in their roles for years... Most teaching roles are traditional but it’s not always as straight cut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending