The Student Room Group

Biological Sciences

Hey guys!
So I’ve got a small crisis!
Biological sciences degree does not seem the best in terms of employment and pay in general.
However, I do want to go into teaching Biology.
This will be around 6 years down the line.
Would teaching Biology become competitive in around 6 years, due to the increasing numbers of Biology graduates, or would me doing a Biology degree hoping to go into teaching be a good and safe option?
I am aware that other than teaching , Biology is not the greatest of options due to employment prospects (which I take from having read articles and online forums etc.)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomquestion
Hey guys!
So I’ve got a small crisis!
Biological sciences degree does not seem the best in terms of employment and pay in general.
However, I do want to go into teaching Biology.
This will be around 6 years down the line.
Would teaching Biology become competitive in around 6 years, due to the increasing numbers of Biology graduates, or would me doing a Biology degree hoping to go into teaching be a good and safe option?
I am aware that other than teaching , Biology is not the greatest of options due to employment prospects (which I take from having read articles and online forums etc.)

Sounds like a safe option to me. Teaching isn't exactly a career people are rushing for.
Original post by SterlingBank
Sounds like a safe option to me. Teaching isn't exactly a career people are rushing for.

My concern is that if there’s many Bio graduates without jobs, wouldn’t there start to be more Biology teachers ?
My concern is that if there’s many Bio graduates without jobs, wouldn’t there start to be more Biology teachers ?

There are jobs for Biology graduates, it's just many of them start with fairly low pay. Teaching isn't the most attractive career with a large drop out rate in the first few years.
Original post by Treetop321
There are jobs for Biology graduates, it's just many of them start with fairly low pay. Teaching isn't the most attractive career with a large drop out rate in the first few years.

Why are they a high amount of Bio grads in retail - is this for funding PhDs then?
Why are they a high amount of Bio grads in retail - is this for funding PhDs then?

I don't know. It might just be a job that people do to bring in money before finding another job, or as you said, fund post-graduate degrees.

Bare in mind quite a few degrees have fairly high numbers in retail, catering, and bar work, yet there are still teacher shortages in these subjects. High numbers in retail, catering, and bar work does not mean there will be high numbers going into teaching.
I don't know. It might just be a job that people do to bring in money before finding another job, or as you said, fund post-graduate degrees.

Bare in mind quite a few degrees have fairly high numbers in retail, catering, and bar work, yet there are still teacher shortages in these subjects. High numbers in retail, catering, and bar work does not mean there will be high numbers going into teaching.

Fair point.
My concern is the employment for the degree is not the best (would be great if any Bio grads do say their opinion!)
So I don’t know whether I should go for it with teaching in mind, or maybe do a degree which is more vocational/better employment prospects

This makes it sound like teaching is a last resort for unemployed Biology grads, it isn't because even teaching isn't always worth being employed.
Fair point.
My concern is the employment for the degree is not the best (would be great if any Bio grads do say their opinion!)
So I don’t know whether I should go for it with teaching in mind, or maybe do a degree which is more vocational/better employment prospects

I am a biology graduate. I don't know any of my fellow biology graduates who are involuntarily unemployed.
I am a biology graduate. I don't know any of my fellow biology graduates who are involuntarily unemployed.

Hey!
Should I believe online stats that most Bio grads are in retail?
This makes it sound like teaching is a last resort for unemployed Biology grads, it isn't because even teaching isn't always worth being employed.

Oh no sorry, I’m just concerned whether it’s a safe option!
Hey!

This has some data about job prospects and the numbers in each sector. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology
This has some data about job prospects and the numbers in each sector. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biology

Yes this states that most are in retail !!
But the reason why is not stated
Yes this states that most are in retail !!

No, it doesn't. Out of those employed, most are "technicians and other professionals". Also, look at how many are in further study. Master degrees and PhDs are common and sometimes needed for the highest paying jobs.
Hey!

Don't know what stats these are. A biology degree can open many doors. What people want to get out of a career or choose to do to achieve what they want is up to them.
No, it doesn't. Out of those employed, most are "technicians and other professionals". Also, look at how many are in further study. Master degrees and PhDs are common and sometimes needed for the highest paying jobs.

However isn’t the next highest in retail?
And does this include People in higher study??
Don't know what stats these are. A biology degree can open many doors. What people want to get out of a career or choose to do to achieve what they want is up to them.

Are many grads in retail?
And also can I ask what Uni you went to
However isn’t the next highest in retail?
And does this include People in higher study??

Yes, out of those employed, the next highest is in "retail, catering and bar work".

33.4 go into further study whilst 48.8 are employed. Out of those employed, 19.4% go into "retail, catering and bar work".

"Just under half of biology graduates go into full or part-time employment, and one in ten become laboratory technicians. A third go onto further study, which is often required to progress in this field."
Yes, out of those employed, the next highest is in "retail, catering and bar work".

33.4 go into further study whilst 48.8 are employed. Out of those employed, 19.4% go into "retail, catering and bar work".

"Just under half of biology graduates go into full or part-time employment, and one in ten become laboratory technicians. A third go onto further study, which is often required to progress in this field."

So would you say there’s too high a number of those in retail!
So would you say there’s too high a number of those in retail!

Look, if you want to do Biology, you can do it. It doesn't matter how many go and work in retail. They may have just done biology as a degree because they felt like they needed to go to university. You need to bear in mind that further study is often needed for the best jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending