The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Computer Science

Hello, I'm a student interested in studying at Nottingham and would like some feedback about the course / life at the university:

- What is the course like?
- Are the modules interesting?
- Do you enjoy the teaching?
- What is life like at Nottingham?
- What is the social life like at Nottingham?
Reply 1
Hi chimpinky. I'm a third year Computer Science student here in Nottingham so hopefully I can answer these questions for you:

What is the course like?

The course is built around core modules that are 'need-to-know' computer science skills and principles (basic programming principles, underlying mathematical theory for computer science, systems and architectures, operating systems, software engineering, computer security) and modules that build upon particular themes or fields of computer science (think artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, functional programming, image processing, etc.)

For first years, all modules will be 'core' modules as they build up everyone's skillset to an equal level. I believe the modules and what they cover are available on the Computer Science site, but you'll cover basic programming in C, system architectures, object oriented & functional programming with Java and Haskell, web programming (HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL), an introduction to artificial intelligence, and software engineering fundamentals. In the following years, you'll gradually get more autonomy over your module choices.

The first semester of second year is all 'core' modules once again, but you get your first chance to explore those 'themed' modules in the second semester, where you get to choose a number of optional modules. Last year I chose Advanced Functional Programming, Image Processing, and Artificial Intelligence Methods.

As you get into third year, the number of core modules decreases to only one a semester, as you choose optionals alongside your dissertation. If carrying on in to 4th year on an integrated masters course, I believe your module choices are completely free at this point.

Are the modules interesting?

Yes. From when I was looking three years ago, Nottingham had one of the stronger first year syllabuses for Computer Science, and you'll be amazed by what you've covered in just two semesters. The pacing of most modules is right as well - so long as you get your work done and follow the advice of your lecturers, you'll do well.

Do you enjoy the teaching?

Definitely. Different lecturers bring different styles to their teaching, but for the most part the delivery of the content is very good, and engaging.

What is life like / social life like at Nottingham?

You'll probably get the impression now that I'm quite biased on this one, but Nottingham is a great place to be. It's a city that is large enough to have a rich variety of places to visit, eat, drink, dance, etc., without being somewhere too large where the sheer enormity of the place might put you off. The city has excellent transport links thanks to two long-running and reliable bus companies (Nottingham City Transport and Trentbarton) that both offer very competitive fares for students. With the introduction of the NET tram as well a few years back, you can usually find public transport to get you anywhere relatively quickly. If you end up staying on Jubilee Campus (where Computer Science is located), then there is a free hopper bus that will take you to the main campus, and you won't have any trouble meeting people in the first week. Catered accommodation offers up a 'hotel' like atmosphere where you can quickly get to know about 7 or 8 people along your corridor while still having control over your own room/space. Catered also encourages 'grouping up' as you naturally form friendship groups to sit in when you go for lunch or dinner at the canteen.

Anyway, I think I've done enough selling :P Hope that answers your questions, and in all seriousness, I love being here. If you have a gut instinct about Nottingham, I would go for it.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Ostrich
Hi chimpinky. I'm a third year Computer Science student here in Nottingham so hopefully I can answer these questions for you:

What is the course like?

The course is built around core modules that are 'need-to-know' computer science skills and principles (basic programming principles, underlying mathematical theory for computer science, systems and architectures, operating systems, software engineering, computer security) and modules that build upon particular themes or fields of computer science (think artificial intelligence, human computer interaction, functional programming, image processing, etc.)

For first years, all modules will be 'core' modules as they build up everyone's skillset to an equal level. I believe the modules and what they cover are available on the Computer Science site, but you'll cover basic programming in C, system architectures, object oriented & functional programming with Java and Haskell, web programming (HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL), an introduction to artificial intelligence, and software engineering fundamentals. In the following years, you'll gradually get more autonomy over your module choices.

The first semester of second year is all 'core' modules once again, but you get your first chance to explore those 'themed' modules in the second semester, where you get to choose a number of optional modules. Last year I chose Advanced Functional Programming, Image Processing, and Artificial Intelligence Methods.

As you get into third year, the number of core modules decreases to only one a semester, as you choose optionals alongside your dissertation. If carrying on in to 4th year on an integrated masters course, I believe your module choices are completely free at this point.

Yes. From when I was looking three years ago, Nottingham had one of the stronger first year syllabuses for Computer Science, and you'll be amazed by what you've covered in just two semesters. The pacing of most modules is right as well - so long as you get your work done and follow the advice of your lecturers, you'll do well.

Definitely. Different lecturers bring different styles to their teaching, but for the most part the delivery of the content is very good, and engaging.

You'll probably get the impression now that I'm quite biased on this one, but Nottingham is a great place to be. It's a city that is large enough to have a rich variety of places to visit, eat, drink, dance, etc., without being somewhere too large where the sheer enormity of the place might put you off. The city has excellent transport links thanks to two long-running and reliable bus companies (Nottingham City Transport and Trentbarton) that both offer very competitive fares for students. With the introduction of the NET tram as well a few years back, you can usually find public transport to get you anywhere relatively quickly. If you end up staying on Jubilee Campus (where Computer Science is located), then there is a free hopper bus that will take you to the main campus, and you won't have any trouble meeting people in the first week. Catered accommodation offers up a 'hotel' like atmosphere where you can quickly get to know about 7 or 8 people along your corridor while still having control over your own room/space. Catered also encourages 'grouping up' as you naturally form friendship groups to sit in when you go for lunch or dinner at the canteen.

Anyway, I think I've done enough selling :P Hope that answers your questions, and in all seriousness, I love being here. If you have a gut instinct about Nottingham, I would go for it.

I’m also thinking about going to Nottingham for computer science. I don’t do alevel maths and I’ve seen in other threads that it’s VERY hard if you don’t already do a-levels maths. Would you say this is true. Also they said there is a lot of coursework, almost too much. Would you say this is true? They also said the teachers were not very helpful and didn’t explain the maths part well considering that Maths is not a requirement. Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Watermelon286
I’m also thinking about going to Nottingham for computer science. I don’t do alevel maths and I’ve seen in other threads that it’s VERY hard if you don’t already do a-levels maths. Would you say this is true. Also they said there is a lot of coursework, almost too much. Would you say this is true? They also said the teachers were not very helpful and Hey didn’t explain the maths part well considering that Maths is not a requirement. Thanks

Hey,
I've done 2 years at notts, and theres been 2 maths modules so far. I don't think you're missing much if you haven't done A-level maths since a lot of it is decision maths, and most people didn't do that in A-level anyway. For my first year, the lecturer for maths wasn't the best, but i'm pretty sure he's been replaced so i'm not sure what it's like now. A lot of the other lecturers were great and I like the teaching and support here. The coursework can sometimes be hard, but all you have to do is be organised and you should get through it. I remember 1st semester was a lot of courswork (so be prepared for that) but 2nd semester was a whole lot easier.
Original post by chimpinky
Hey,
I've done 2 years at notts, and theres been 2 maths modules so far. I don't think you're missing much if you haven't done A-level maths since a lot of it is decision maths, and most people didn't do that in A-level anyway. For my first year, the lecturer for maths wasn't the best, but i'm pretty sure he's been replaced so i'm not sure what it's like now. A lot of the other lecturers were great and I like the teaching and support here. The coursework can sometimes be hard, but all you have to do is be organised and you should get through it. I remember 1st semester was a lot of courswork (so be prepared for that) but 2nd semester was a whole lot easier.

Okay thanks that’s very helpful ! So did the coursework, for the 1st semester at least, consist of programming/coding different stuff? And what were the contact hours like for 1st and 2nd year? - I’ve heard it’s quite intense.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I’m also thinking about going to Nottingham for computer science. I don’t do alevel maths and I’ve seen in other threads that it’s VERY hard if you don’t already do a-levels maths. Would you say this is true. Also they said there is a lot of coursework, almost too much. Would you say this is true? They also said the teachers were not very helpful and didn’t explain the maths part well considering that Maths is not a requirement. Thanks

Hey bro, I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham for computer science, are there any other good universities that are good for computer science
Reply 6
Okay thanks that’s very helpful ! So did the coursework, for the 1st semester at least, consist of programming/coding different stuff? And what were the contact hours like for 1st and 2nd year? - I’ve heard it’s quite intense.

It's around 18 hours a week, its not too easy compared to other courses but its do-able.

For the 1st semester:
- A lot of C
- ARM assembly language

For the 2nd semester:
- Java
- HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, SQL
- Haskell

There's a lot of variety
Original post by chimpinky
It's around 18 hours a week, its not too easy compared to other courses but its do-able.

For the 1st semester:
- A lot of C
- ARM assembly language

For the 2nd semester:
- Java
- HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, SQL
- Haskell

There's a lot of variety

Hiya x ,
I am a com science student and I am in my last year.
Reply 8
Original post by Ostrich

What is the course like?

Hey bro, I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham Uni for computer science through clearing and I was wondering if you could me an insight to what the course is like, the lecturers, and just the city in general.
Reply 9
Original post by Murtazaghadiwala
Hiya x ,
I am a com science student and I am in my last year.

what's the course like and the lecturers
Original post by mukhtar1122
what's the course like and the lecturers

I have applied for Msc comp science . Wbu ?
Reply 11
I have applied for Msc comp science . Wbu ?

I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham university for Computer Science BSc could you give me an insight of what the course was like, the lecturers, and the city
Original post by mukhtar1122
I'm thinking of applying to Nottingham university for Computer Science BSc could you give me an insight of what the course was like, the lecturers, and the city

U will have all type of programming languages , and the lectures are good as well, city is nice too.
Reply 13
U will have all type of programming languages , and the lectures are good as well, city is nice too.

Ok thanks, would you say looking at the guardian league tables is a good insight when looking at universities for computer science
Hey, I’m starting comp sci with artificial intelligence in sept 2023. I wanted to know what the time table is like? How many days are the lectures and tutorials spread over?
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’m starting comp sci with artificial intelligence in sept 2023. I wanted to know what the time table is like? How many days are the lectures and tutorials spread over?

Hi i might be applying to notts for the same course for 2024, how is it so far?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending