The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Applied Human Physiology Msc

hello guys.

has anyone heard about this course and have any opinions on it?

Basically, i'm coming from a sport science background and this course offered by KCL seems very attractive. It has a focus on a bit of both, the exercise setting and general human biology. However, i'm not too sure how it would compare to other available exercise physiology master courses in the market.

The fees are really high as well! 10,5k whereas normally for a masters it costs 5k+I could get a discount of 25% if I do it in my uni.

So any opinion would be really appreciated and whether this course has a good reputation, especially compared to traditional general physiology degrees or exercise physiology degrees.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi!

I'm currently on the Applied Physiology course at King's. I did my undergraduate degree in Sports Science at Manchester Metropolitan and was a little unsure too as to whether it would be the right course, as I also had a 'cheaper' option to stay at Manchester!

I can honesty say it's been the best decision of my life. It is a challenging course and you have to really apply yourself but it's been so rewarding. The course has developed my knowledge and skills in so many different areas of physiology and I've been allowed to explore my interests in projects where we have the freedom to pick our own topics to write about.
A lot is covered on the course with some incredibly supportive staff members to lecture you. In brief, topics we cover are; Muscle and Cardio-respiratory physiology at rest, exhaustive exercise and in disease, thermoregulation, hypoxia, cold water immersion, aerospace, diving and aviation medicine.

On top of that, we've had some incredible guest speakers from individuals who are involved in current research and are part of Everest Expeditions and the European Space Agency alongside lectures from RAF doctors and Kevin Fong! We got to Skype Tim Peake from the International Space Station too!

The trips we go on are ones you will not experience anywhere else, this February, staying at the naval base in Gosport, we travelled to Portsmouth University for a week and worked with Professor Mike Tipton and his team looking at cold water immersion. Last week we went to London Diving Chamber and did a 50m dry dive, taking us to 6 atmospheres of pressure! Also, we have some of ur labs take place in environmental chamber we lucky have on campus, where we can simulate hypoxic and hyperthermic environments which is really fun!

This isn't course related but I also found moving to a new university is also the best thing I could have done. Although it took me away from Manchester and out of my comfort zone, where I had been for three years, i've met new people, made some incredible friends and the connections I have made through the university are invaluable.

Don't be scared by the fees, it's worth every penny and I promise you, you'd have so much fun! Hope this helps!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
seem's very much this post was written by someone teaching the course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
The course if perfect for a Sports science graduate. The course is not for someone new to research as research skills aren't covered. However, there is 1 hour of literature review session mid way through the course. The title is a misnomer as you will be expected to study animal physiology. The explanation of the title given was that that its about human and not cell physiology, but they mean integrative physiology.
I'm also interested to know if it is helpful for those that want to pursue a career in Clinical Physiology?
I would not recomment this course to anyone due to the lack of research methods. Its just full of practicals and lectures. I would seriously consider asking for my money back. Choosing this course was a terrible mistake for me personally. If you do choose this course then keep a good record including a labbook. Its just wise incase you need to leave as its not the standard you might expect of a course.
I would like to edit the above post: lack of research method is terms of formal teaching on research methods and statistics, which I felt was cursory. The teacher was like here is how to write a practical and how many words to put in each section. It really wasn't explained very well what actually it was. I dont think they deliver for the money they charge.
Original post by Anonymous
I would not recomment this course to anyone due to the lack of research methods. Its just full of practicals and lectures. I would seriously consider asking for my money back. Choosing this course was a terrible mistake for me personally. If you do choose this course then keep a good record including a labbook. Its just wise incase you need to leave as its not the standard you might expect of a course.

I am not able to edit this post. I think some people got value from the course but for me it did not work. For me I thought it is not good value for money. It might be the standard you might expect from an MSc course but incase your expectations were different it would be best to keep a record of everything, so that you can go to however you need to show your expectations are not being met. I am sure there is a trial period for courses, so do keep that in mind. I feel there is a lot of practicals so that how you learn research methods but there is not in terms of formal lectures on how to review papers until in my case 1 hour mid way through the course. All i remember is being in a room (not near a PC) and being shown some slides which included Venn diagrams. They didnt have built in mandatory workshops on research skills right at the start (this might have changed) but KCL has workshops on study skills such as literature review, how to write a paper but for that you have to book and in my case it was weeks apart. I fear that you may go into unprepared if you don't already have a BSc. This is just my opinion.
Please don't do this course, this is a high risk course in my opinion due to the poor support from tutor and bad organisation of the course. They might have tackled the problems but they seemed resist to the idea when I went there. I spend the whole year trying to out manoeuvre the tutor as i found him to be giving inaccurate advice. It didn't work, the tutor is too powerful-they mark you essay and organise the course, and have a lot of control on how you do. Go somewhere where teachers are keen to teach and give informative picture of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest