The Student Room Group

TSR Doctors' Society Part II

The previous thread has reached 10,000 posts and I can't see a new one so here we go!

Join here if you want a profile badge:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=975

Awards for number of bleeps ignored posts made in Part 1:

nexttime 933 :king1:

Helenia 871 :king2:

randdom 305 :king3:

Honorary co-presidents: Dr Claire Maitland and The Fat Man
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yayyy! Thanks for making a new thread, now I can answer @nexttime

@nexttime I mean... our shielded patients still come in when really needed :dontknow:

Do you do domiciliary visits then?
We have been told we should visit unless totally impossible and that we have to keep a separate area for them - but how do we do that in a single Surgery with 1 waiting room?
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/respiratory-/gps-asked-to-set-up-dedicated-home-visiting-team-for-shielded-patients/20040564.article
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
We'll start ignoring restrictions regardless of whether we are actually allowed to or not. There is a second wave and probably third, but its actually not too bad (relatively). Then the weather turns as October ticks by. Coronavirus is... well, a coronavirus. Its seasonal. And there's flu too. And the economy is so tanked we actually can't afford to restrict any more as our credit rating is under threat. And we never even got close to catching up with elective work or the consequences of delayed emergency presentations.

That's an interesting point, though it will require politicians to stand in front of the public and brazenly tell them lots of people including many more healthcare workers, the elderly, and even children are going to die because "the economy". Is UK society actually ready to accept that?

Or put another way...

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD

Lol I'm surprised someone else didn't already make it - especially a fellow night owl :wink: :tongue:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD

Do you do domiciliary visits then?
We have been told we should visit unless totally impossible and that we have to keep a separate area for them - but how do we do that in a single Surgery with 1 waiting room?
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/respiratory-/gps-asked-to-set-up-dedicated-home-visiting-team-for-shielded-patients/20040564.article

We don't visit anyone no...

I don't actually know all the details, but I think all virtually our patients are shielded and they just come to clinic or the rapid assessment area. They have to wash their hands on the way in, someone checks if they have covid symptoms, if they're too early they're turned away to wait in their car or outside. No relatives, there's a small waiting area with very spaced out chairs and I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 people waiting, and normally its zero. PPE when seeing them of course, and we don't do their bloods or weight or anything they have that in the off site hubs.

We have stopped doing a lot of treatment though so in general its just much much quieter, allowing this level of distancing.

I suspect that if we were to want to protect lots more we'd have to reduce visit burden on GPs then, perhaps using some measures like above and perhaps having strict in/out times or appointments, so there can't be anyone waiting in the waiting room? Practicalities might be hard though.
Original post by Democracy
That's an interesting point, though it will require politicians to stand in front of the public and brazenly tell them lots of people including many more healthcare workers, the elderly, and even children are going to die because "the economy". Is UK society actually ready to accept that?

Or put another way...

Spoiler

I dunno, I think there's a LOT of anti-lockdown sentiment too. A lot of our shielded people at least, are literally spending their last days and weeks hidden indoors with no visitors allowed - I'd be like **** it I'm leaving :tongue:

And there may come a point where we're facing huge cuts to NHS and welfare budgets in order to fund furlough etc... GDP is down what 15%? And that's just so far?
Reply 5
Oooh, I got a prize!
Original post by Helenia
Oooh, I got a prize!

I don't think it's a good thing Helenia XD
Hi everyone - graduating at some point today so finally can join the group (have been stalking for some time).

due to start F1 in NW Midlands (Stoke) in August ♥️
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
I don't think it's a good thing Helenia XD

Not one for the CV? There's not a lot else on it atm.
In
Reply 10
Has the Medical Registrar page disappeared off Facebook? Not a member so can't check for myself :holmes:
@Mutmit287 you're meant to post in this thread now.

Such a disgraceful use of posting privilege.
@Mutmit287 you're meant to post in this thread now.

Such a disgraceful use of posting privilege.

whoops sorry...

can I ask as fy1s we don't pay for ALS? awaiting a reply from the deanery as I suspect it's covered by them but the course application form is asking for payment details?
Original post by Mutmit287
whoops sorry...

can I ask as fy1s we don't pay for ALS? awaiting a reply from the deanery as I suspect it's covered by them but the course application form is asking for payment details?

They pay. You might have to pay and reclaim though - worth checking.
They pay. You might have to pay and reclaim though - worth checking.

suspected as much - thank you
Reply 15
Has the Medical Registrar page disappeared off Facebook? Not a member so can't check for myself :holmes:

Just checked, it's still there.
Reply 16
Think I had my first day of feeling like a ward monkey. Ambitious target of weekend admissions to discharge ASAP, running through TTOs, referrals, and discharge letters for pts I’d barely set eyes on, and then there’s the fear that set in when I got a few bloods to take and the pt turned out to be a 90-something y/o lady 😳 yay for being an F1?
Reply 17
Original post by Maxxie
Just checked, it's still there.

Do you have a link please?
Reply 18
Wooo, new thread.

@Democracy you just wanted to have the fancy "Thread starter" golden star, didn't you?
Reply 19
Do you have a link please?

https://www.facebook.com/medicalreg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending