The Student Room Group

Entering IB after a MSc

I am about to start an 12 month taught MSc Finance programme, and am wondering how to start my career afterwards.

Summer internships are over the summer, and I will still be at university writing up my dissertation over the summer.

Grad schemes target final year graduates (and some allow recent graduates), so I may not be eligible. (And for any schemes that start early summer-ish, I may still be at university).

What schemes exist for masters graduates?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by d555
I am about to start an 12 month taught MSc Finance programme, and am wondering how to start my career afterwards.

Summer internships are over the summer, and I will still be at university writing up my dissertation over the summer.

Grad schemes target final year graduates (and some allow recent graduates), so I may not be eligible. (And for any schemes that start early summer-ish, I may still be at university).

What schemes exist for masters graduates?

Please can you clarify whether you've had more than 12 months full-time work experience post your undergraduate degree (excluding internships and graduate schemes).

If, as I imagine, you are currently finishing a standard undergraduate degree, then you will be eligible for grad schemes as they often also target masters students (with <12 months work experience).

Graduation dates for full-time schemes that start in June can always be postponed post-offer.

Summer internships aren't really an option unless:

1. You're taking one this summer (as they're targeted at penultimate year undergraduates)
2. You are able to extend the length of your masters degree to 18-20 months (i.e. graduate in January 2022 instead of June/July/August 2021)

Off-cycle internships may be an option for you to take, although these are fiercely competitive. Successful applicants usually:

Speak at least 1 European language in addition to English

Have outstanding academic records (GMAT/Exemplary GCSEs & A-Levels/ 1st or 2.1 at a target or semi-target with a target masters)

Have multiple (relevant) internships that attract the eye of a specific desk (if banking or consultancy)

Don't need training to get up and running

What masters course is this?
Are you just completing you're undergraduate course?
What type of graduate scheme are you targeting?
Reply 2
Original post by IBDMaster
Please can you clarify whether you've had more than 12 months full-time work experience post your undergraduate degree (excluding internships and graduate schemes).

If, as I imagine, you are currently finishing a standard undergraduate degree, then you will be eligible for grad schemes as they often also target masters students (with <12 months work experience).

Graduation dates for full-time schemes that start in June can always be postponed post-offer.

Summer internships aren't really an option unless:

1. You're taking one this summer (as they're targeted at penultimate year undergraduates)
2. You are able to extend the length of your masters degree to 18-20 months (i.e. graduate in January 2022 instead of June/July/August 2021)

Off-cycle internships may be an option for you to take, although these are fiercely competitive. Successful applicants usually:

Speak at least 1 European language in addition to English

Have outstanding academic records (GMAT/Exemplary GCSEs & A-Levels/ 1st or 2.1 at a target or semi-target with a target masters)

Have multiple (relevant) internships that attract the eye of a specific desk (if banking or consultancy)

Don't need training to get up and running

What masters course is this?
Are you just completing you're undergraduate course?
What type of graduate scheme are you targeting?

I have no work experience.
MSc Finance and Investment @ non-target
Completed undergrad in 2019, currently on a year out, then starting a masters in Sept.

Was targeting research, but given this may be my last chance at these schemes I'm considering applying for anything I have a chance at.

I'm only 1/4 on the off-cycle list so I guess that's a last resort.

Grad offers seem to be my best chance. I don't know much about postponing offers. Do you mean the offer can be postponed a whole year, or can the be flexible on the start date until I'm available (or both?).
Thanks for the above responses. What I can suggest:
1. Find a way to fill in the gap on you're CV I.e. provide reasoning or a sentence behind taking a year out (e.g. learn a language or enhance knowledge of a particular culture)
2. Display your leadership, quantitative and collaborative skills in the CV and cover letter
3. Attend as many firm events, meet as many people as possible, contact alumni who are in research to guide you through the process
3. I don't want to be a negative person, but research would be very difficult to get into on a grad scheme or off cycle with no previous experience, no outstanding academics, no "brand" name masters (Banks are inherently bias against uni names)
Ensure you diversify your applications to get something, especially given this economic climate. Full time (FT) 2021 Applications are going to be the most competitive on record due to:
-reduced hiring needs
automatic conversion to FT given to most summer 2020 analysts

In addition, barely any FT spots open to Research given reduced headcount anyway. I would say apply to research at a max of 5 firms, apply to advisory roles at regional offices (I.e. Rothschild Birmingham), and apply to BO at other firms (I.e. Finance in Glassgow Morgan Stanley).

Without knowing the uni you're applying to, its difficult to find out whether the graduation date is flexible. Contact the student office to find out if flexible graduation dates are possible.

But most importantly, good luck! I wish you the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending