The Student Room Group

Can someone help me with this law question

II have a practice question for employment law but Im not sure where to go with it

Harold has worked as a painter and decorator for Happy Paint for 9 years. He won employee of the year award 4 times and considered as a valuable employee of the company. However, 10 days ago, he was involved in a fight with another employee (Michael) whom he thought was having an affair with his wife. This fight led to both employees being issued with a warning from the manager. Harold’s wife later left him for Michael. This left Harold feeling depressed and he started turning up late for work and when he does, he seems distracted. Last week, he missed a contract deadline causing the company a major financial loss. He was left a message on his phone by his manager, saying that as a result of missed deadline and his absence from work, his contract has been terminated immediately and he should not report to work again
I know that this is to do with unfair dismissal/ dismissal. But would Harold have case. I dont think he would?
(edited 3 years ago)
Not sure or not done any work for it?

As per guidelines please either post thoughts, a decent structure or specific questions. Then we can help you.
Reply 2
Original post by james_law
Not sure or not done any work for it?

As per guidelines please either post thoughts, a decent structure or specific questions. Then we can help you.

Ive just edited my question. I know that this is about termination of contract , but I dont believe is unfair or wrongful dismissal. I think the company have reasonable grounds for dismissal but would it still be valid if it procedurally incorrect. Should they have given him more notice? I have to determine whether harold would have a case but i dont think he does does he?
You are saying you dont think he would have a case why not?

While I did not study employment law, you will have been taught the criteria for unfair dismissal. I suggest you use that structure and work your way through to determine whether or not Harold has a case for unfair dismissal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending