The Student Room Group

Foundation Year SCIENCE

Hello! I am looking for my final UCAS option - I am hoping to do a Foundation Year into a degree, mostly applied for Nutrition degree's apart from Applied Sciences Foundation Year at Northumbria! If anyone could recommend me a good widely covered Foundation Year to be able to apply for specific degree's next year, or Nutrition degree's with Foundation Year that would be GREAT!!! Thank you so much!!

Scroll to see replies

For 2020 or 2021 entry?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
For 2020 or 2021 entry?

2020!
There are 2 major problems with foundation years. Firstly they cost usually £9000+ which is a large amount of debt on top of your degree. Secondly they use up 1 of your 4 years student finance. Basically this means if you fail the first year of your degree or decide to go elsewhere you wont have finance for that. Due to these reasons foundation years should really be a last resort. Is there anyway you can avoid this such as an access to science course in your local college or fast tracking an A level in 1 year. These would be less costly and allow you more options than taking a foundation year. If you decide to go along with a foundation year at least you will be aware of the pitfalls,
Original post by Hardy927
2020!

What are your grades?
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
There are 2 major problems with foundation years. Firstly they cost usually £9000+ which is a large amount of debt on top of your degree. Secondly they use up 1 of your 4 years student finance. Basically this means if you fail the first year of your degree or decide to go elsewhere you wont have finance for that. Due to these reasons foundation years should really be a last resort. Is there anyway you can avoid this such as an access to science course in your local college or fast tracking an A level in 1 year. These would be less costly and allow you more options than taking a foundation year. If you decide to go along with a foundation year at least you will be aware of the pitfalls,

Hey, thanks for your honest opinion! I have decided to do a foundation year as long stories short I was in Drama School but I then had an accident which left me disabled so having a bit of a path change. I have settled on a foundation course as It will allow me to move away into my own space which is much needed. I am hoping to do one built into the degree or a pathway to a certain degree. Sixth form isn't avail as I am a mature student and College won't allow me to move out.
Reply 6
What are your grades?

In what sense, I am a mature student changing paths! Thanks!
In what sense, I am a mature student changing paths! Thanks!

Like any qualification at all as foundation years need some sort of qualification
Hey, thanks for your honest opinion! I have decided to do a foundation year as long stories short I was in Drama School but I then had an accident which left me disabled so having a bit of a path change. I have settled on a foundation course as It will allow me to move away into my own space which is much needed. I am hoping to do one built into the degree or a pathway to a certain degree. Sixth form isn't avail as I am a mature student and College won't allow me to move out.

I am going to ask people on here with experience in careers and student finance to look at this to see if they are able to look into funding for mature students to help you@PQ @harrysbar @SarcAndSpark. Do you have any experience of this area.
(edited 3 years ago)

When you were in drama school did you have student finance because that would have counted towards your 4 years student finance. You really need to seek expert advice on this from student finance and also a disability adviser to see how you can arrange the finance to get through your degree.
Hello! I am looking for my final UCAS option - I am hoping to do a Foundation Year into a degree, mostly applied for Nutrition degree's apart from Applied Sciences Foundation Year at Northumbria! If anyone could recommend me a good widely covered Foundation Year to be able to apply for specific degree's next year, or Nutrition degree's with Foundation Year that would be GREAT!!! Thank you so much!!

Foundation years aren't always that transferable, so I would suggest looking at undergrad courses at the unis you're interested in too- it'll be easiest if you can carry straight on through.

Other end of the country but Plymouth used to do quite a good foundation year that led on to a range of bio-science courses- I don't know if they still do.

FWIW, unlike others on the thread, I think a foundation year is a good option if you are looking to change direction and don't have the right A-levels.
Reply 11
Original post by swanseajack1
When you were in drama school did you have student finance because that would have counted towards your 4 years student finance. You really need to seek expert advice on this from student finance and also a disability adviser to see how you can arrange the finance to get through your degree.

My accident happened just before I started, so my student finance did not even go through. So no! Luckily, I guess.
Reply 12
Like any qualification at all as foundation years need some sort of qualification

Mostly A's in GCSE and Distinction/Merits in diplomas/btecs. Nothing below a B.
Reply 13
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Foundation years aren't always that transferable, so I would suggest looking at undergrad courses at the unis you're interested in too- it'll be easiest if you can carry straight on through.

Other end of the country but Plymouth used to do quite a good foundation year that led on to a range of bio-science courses- I don't know if they still do.

FWIW, unlike others on the thread, I think a foundation year is a good option if you are looking to change direction and don't have the right A-levels.

Oh really? As I was hoping to go from AP in northumbria to either something there, or Birmingham (as my main choices thus far.)
I'll check Plymouth out!
Thank you for that, I think the foundation option is the one that is suited to my situation at the moment, so it is nice to hear a positive light on them!
Mostly A's in GCSE and Distinction/Merits in diplomas/btecs. Nothing below a B.

Do you have any level 3 qualifications?
Reply 15
Do you have any level 3 qualifications?

I have Performing Arts level 4 Distinction, as dance was the plan all my life.
I have Performing Arts level 4 Distinction, as dance was the plan all my life.

I would recommend an access course but you seem to be certain on a foundation year. I'm not sure for lots of foundation year and if you can continue to uni but the uni of Wolverhampton has a health sciences foundation year that you would probably qualify for; maybe look at Leeds trinity uni sport and health foundation year as they welcome those with few or no qualification; Hartpury uni (I never heard of this uni so I would research) sport and exercise nutrition with foundation year; uni of Worcester considers all situation of the candidates of their human nutrition (with foundation year) degree. I really suggest researching them, the course and the uni.
Reply 17
I would recommend an access course but you seem to be certain on a foundation year. I'm not sure for lots of foundation year and if you can continue to uni but the uni of Wolverhampton has a health sciences foundation year that you would probably qualify for; maybe look at Leeds trinity uni sport and health foundation year as they welcome those with few or no qualification; Hartpury uni (I never heard of this uni so I would research) sport and exercise nutrition with foundation year; uni of Worcester considers all situation of the candidates of their human nutrition (with foundation year) degree. I really suggest researching them, the course and the uni.

The thing is with an access course I would probably not move out - which I am desperate to do. Since being cleared to go to university, it's all I have wanted so thats why foundation course may fit better for me - for the environment and all! I shall give those all a look, thank you so much.
The thing is with an access course I would probably not move out - which I am desperate to do. Since being cleared to go to university, it's all I have wanted so thats why foundation course may fit better for me - for the environment and all! I shall give those all a look, thank you so much.

Yeah that what I assumed so I tried to look at foundation courses for you. I really recommend looking at the foundation courses' entry requirements because like uni of Worcester they could consider all qualifications and experiences of a candidate so its worth having these options and asking the uni if they would accept you (since the worst they can do is say no). I recommend the UCAS website to look at courses.
Oh really? As I was hoping to go from AP in northumbria to either something there, or Birmingham (as my main choices thus far.)
I'll check Plymouth out!
Thank you for that, I think the foundation option is the one that is suited to my situation at the moment, so it is nice to hear a positive light on them!

Yeah, the issue with foundation years is that they vary from uni to uni, so there is no guarantee that another uni would accept the first uni's foundation year. Often they will, but it's not like an access course which is widely acceptable to a large range of unis. However, as long as you'd be happy to stay on at the same uni, that's not really a problem.

I know a few people who've done science foundation years and they all had a really good experience. Often, you get more hands on lab experience with a uni based foundation year, compared to an access course, and it's good preparation for the uni style of learning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending